IGNORED

Lego NES Console Announced

6 hours ago, RH said:

Get this crap out of here! 

IncompatibleLinedGrub-size_restricted.gi

It's reasoning like this that has made "Doh!" an official word in the late-90s, has made "literally" also mean "figuratively", and the most awful of recent offenses, "irregardless" is now a word which means "regardless".

Wide spread usage and acceptance is not a reasonable justification for making it "right".

Language does evolve, you know 😉

I'm much more for described language than prescribed.  If we want to lament change in language though, I'd love to restore English to it's Anglo Saxon roots, and remove the French and Latin words from it.

22 hours ago, fcgamer said:

Actually it's not, if you are looking at described linguistics (which is what I use). The company, LEGO, may want the plural of the word to be LEGO, they can even try to encourage this; however, they cannot force people into following their preference, and if a large portion of a population refers to the plural as legos, then it's also in reality, sad for them, an accepted plural for the word.

In reality, it makes a bit of sense why many in the States would have this preference as the plural, I'd reckon that it's due to the familiarity with Spanish and tacking the s onto the end of words that end in o, makes a lot of sense honestly.

Regarding the set, it's quite neat! I'm not a huge fan of LEGO bricks myself, if I were, I'd be all over this.

The corporate approved terminology is "LEGO® bricks". LEGO is the name company, not the name of the product.

I heard an interview with Rob Schrab shortly after he had been hired to direct The Lego Movie 2, and part of his training was to never call them "Legos". I think it has something to do with the law as it applies to brand dillution when a company name is used as a generic term for the product, they run the risk of losing their trademark. This is why Band-Aid must say "Band-Aid brand adhesive bandages" and can never refer to their own product as "band-aids"

Edited by G-type

17 minutes ago, G-type said:

The corporate approved terminology is "LEGO® bricks". LEGO is the name company, not the name of the product.

I heard an interview with Rob Schrab shortly after he had been hired to direct The Lego Movie 2, and part of his training was to never call them "Legos". I think it has something to do with the law as it applies to brand dillution when a company name is used as a generic term for the product, they run the risk of losing their trademark. This is why Band-Aid must say "Band-Aid brand adhesive bandages" and can never refer to their own product as "band-aids"

Yup, that's true; however, that's honestly the problem that LEGO needs to worry about, not me or you.

As I mentioned earlier, I prefer the concept of described linguistics to that of prescribed linguistics, and legos falls into the former camp, so I see nothing wrong with it, just because corporate tries to say otherwise.

14 hours ago, fcgamer said:

Language does evolve, you know 😉

I'm much more for described language than prescribed.  If we want to lament change in language though, I'd love to restore English to it's Anglo Saxon roots, and remove the French and Latin words from it.

Evolving isn't the same as just being wrong. The prefix irre- is used to negate the phrase, it means "not" when placed before another word. The suffix -less is another negation which means "without" when placed after another word. Therefore, "regardless" means without regard. If you use "irregardless," it means not without regard so you're using a double negative, it doesn't make any sense. It's only the stupidity of people and their inability to verify anything before regurgitating it that has caused people to believe it's actually a word.

Regarding the debate of LEGO or LEGOs, it's similar to data which is also plural. Instead of saying, "The data is...." the correct thing to say would be, "The data are....." but nobody says that. People just continue to ignore linguistic rules and repeat what they hear so I've abandoned all hope for the internet long ago.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

Evolving isn't the same as just being wrong. The prefix irre- is used to negate the phrase, it means "not" when placed before another word. The suffix -less is another negation which means "without" when placed after another word. Therefore, "regardless" means without regard. If you use "irregardless," it means not without regard so you're using a double negative, it doesn't make any sense. It's only the stupidity of people and their inability to verify anything before regurgitating it that has caused people to believe it's actually a word.

Regarding the debate of LEGO or LEGOs, it's similar to data which is also plural. Instead of saying, "The data is...." the correct thing to say would be, "The data are....." but nobody says that. People just continue to ignore linguistic rules and repeat what they hear so I've abandoned all hope for the internet long ago.

Right, but you are talking about prescribed linguistics, i.e. what grammarians state are the rules. If you look at the historical reasons for some of the rules, in English, such as not ending sentences with prepositions, perhaps you will also start to see why I prefer descriptive linguistics.

I was an English major at the university, studied a few more languages there as well, so my stance at preferring descriptive linguistics is not based at all on not knowing better.

The thing is, so many of the rules are arbitrary, and one will see it even when talking with someone from the other side of the pond, in terms of grammar, pronunciation, slight differences in the meaning of words (culinary items are a huge one for this), etc.

When considering how random nobodies like Noah Webster decided to change the spelling of words to suit his personal tastes, well yeah, maybe things like that are why I started to realise that descriptive linguistics is a much better approach to take than prescribed linguistics. 

So yes, while I understand the point you are trying to make, it is honestly a weak argument on this issue. I am sure if we went back in history we could find many more examples of words that we now use today as being considered "wrong" a few centuries ago on etymological grounds. I once did a study on cognates between German, Dutch, and English, and we could probably use that as a base for this study.

So yeah, if casual lego users are referring to them as legos, it's equally as correct as LEGO, even if the corporation doesn't want it to be.

1 hour ago, TDIRunner said:

I hear those have automatic scrolling instead of the manual hand crank scrolling.  

Damn kids wanting their hands held with their toys these days. Back in my day, you had to roll the hoop with the stick yourself. None of this automated bullshit.

• Haha 2

I want it, but learning shortly ago about the price elsewhere, it's off the table as that's just overkill.

At that price, and I am well into the never going to happen part of the woods here on this, it would have to work.  I mean Nintendo/Lego basically make their own crappy version of like the Bittboy in essence a cheap sub $20 famiclone and have a cheapo LCD monitor into that Lego TV, and then have a working set of buttons, etc to the controller and a working power/reset button on the deck.  I mean hell at $300 that would still be a bit too much, but at least you'd get a functional library of a few of their own games (not wanting to license others) so the fun would add up over time.

This being a technics like toy with a jack in the box crank to move the scenery is neat, but not $300 neat.

Just now, ChickenTendas said:

Would anyone buying be willing to take pics of the manual and the pieces required? Not sure I can justify $250, but piecing it together would be great.

The part list will end up on Brick Link, I would imagine.

But given the part count, it is pretty fairly priced as-is, so unless you had an absolutely massive collection, I'd think you don't have all the parts in the colors you'd need anyway.

Generally, doesn't Lego introduce a new piece or two per set? I do not claim to be an expert but it seems that when they release a fancy new set, at least one piece is of a special mold and/or color. If you want to pice together your own, how do you get those pieces?

11 minutes ago, RH said:

Generally, doesn't Lego introduce a new piece or two per set? I do not claim to be an expert but it seems that when they release a fancy new set, at least one piece is of a special mold and/or color. If you want to pice together your own, how do you get those pieces?

Yes it is pretty typical for every set to have at least one unique part. (either specific shape/color combo, or custom screen printed part)

If you are going to piece it together, you either compromise and use something that approximates it, or you can just buy the individual parts once they it the after-market on Brick Link.

• Thanks 1

Events Team · Posted

Here's an in depth review.  If anyone is on the fence, this will probably tip you toward buying it.  Some very cool features and an Easter egg.

*Spoilers

https://brickset.com/article/52670/review-71374-nintendo-entertainment-system

Edited by JamesRobot
  • Like 4

I was on the fence but caved in and got one as well. Cool that it came with the bonus item too. Couldn’t find anything I didn’t like about it other than price, and while it was a little more than I wanted to spend I haven’t gotten myself something in a while and have definitely spent way more on shovel ware in the past so I think I’m going to be happy with the purchase. Looking forward to its arrival!

Edited by Xjwebb1982
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, TheBiRD said:

missed.. wounder if they will restock..

They have been pretty good about restocking their fastest selling specialty sets like this one.

(for instance, just picked up Buccaneer Bay on back order and it shipped a couple weeks earlier than originally expected)

I'm expecting them to restock this one, for sure, especially if it is going to help them sell their other Mario set for the cross-functionality.

• Like 1