IGNORED

VGS Weekly Contest - Target Renegade

BeaIank

I tried to break 30k, but couldn't get there. I beat the game a number of times (first time beating the game). I _think_ I figured out the technique folks have been using to get the most points. Unfortunately, my run at it didn't go well and I'm out of time. Congrats to all of you sluggers cracking 30k+! 

Also, score updated on page 2 😛

Edited by ninjistar
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Did you use your continue? I usually get around 27k on one life.

Your second place score from 2013 wouldn't have even made the top 8 this time!

You know, the tuxedo dudes in the last two stages leave hearts when you're low on health. But I didn't go for any of those because I was already on such good pace that I didn't want to risk it. (Red probably went for them.)

Nor did I go for the hearts dropped by the skateboarders because I wanted to conserve health for stage 6.  I also took too much damage on some stages and got a lower health bonus  than I should  have.  I could probably hit over 38k with a great run and going for more hearts.

9 minutes ago, ninjistar said:

I tried to break 30k, but couldn't get there. I beat the game a number of times (first time beating the game). I _think_ I figured out the technique folks have been using to get the most points. Unfortunately, my run at it didn't go well and I'm out of time. Congrats to all of you sluggers cracking 30k+! 

For one thing, I mostly punch everybody and I burn my continue on stage 6. That alone will get you a lot of points.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ninjistar said:

Hahahaha ninjistar with a last second submission to knock me down one. Feels like Sunday night now. Nicely done. I tried a few more times and kept dying at the karate guys. I enjoy the game just fine through five levels. Those guys drove me nuts. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Hahahaha ninjistar with a last second submission to knock me down one. Feels like Sunday night now. Nicely done. I tried a few more times and kept dying at the karate guys. I enjoy the game just fine through five levels. Those guys drove me nuts. 

I actually was pretty confident I'd break 30k. My final score of 28k came on Friday. I tried a few times, but could not put together a good run today.  I'm pleased to have crushed my previous high score of 18k and also complete the game. I feel you did really well! Was this your first time playing the game? 

Also: F$%^ those karate dudes!  They ended several of my runs...

Edited by ninjistar
  • Like 1

Just now, ninjistar said:

I actually was pretty confident I'd break 30k. My final score of 28k came on Friday. I tried a few times, but could not put together a good run today.  I'm pleased to have crushed my previous high score of 18k and also complete the game. I feel you did really well! Was this your first time playing the game? 

Also: F$%^ those karate dudes!  They ended several of my runs...

The karate guys ended way too many runs. Or getting too close to the giant woman boss and getting thrown.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

For one thing, I mostly punch everybody and I burn my continue on stage 6. That alone will get you a lot of points.

Congrats on the win. I think I burned my continue on stage 6 once, but that was before I really figured out the best (or a better) point strategy. I needed a cleaner run to break 30k. I had two runs that ended by thinking I could take a fall on stage 7, which doesn't work. Ah well, I'm okay with where I landed. 

7 minutes ago, ninjistar said:

Congrats on the win. I think I burned my continue on stage 6 once, but that was before I really figured out the best (or a better) point strategy. I needed a cleaner run to break 30k. I had two runs that ended by thinking I could take a fall on stage 7, which doesn't work. Ah well, I'm okay with where I landed. 

Thanks! I was counting on Target Renegade and Tetris to improve my standings on the leaderboard. I needed this win.

• Like 2