IGNORED

What is your favorite game that features Mario?

Tekdrudge

1 hour ago, ChickenTendas said:

One of the only games I know of that is incredibly enhanced by the 3d effect. I believe some stages even require it. It's the kind of game that sold people on the concept of the 3ds, but still hardly gets talked about compared to other titles on the platform, like the Pokemons and A Link Between Worlds.

I was thinking that as I was replaying it. I never hear anyone talk about this Mario game. It’s not one of the premier 3DS titles you hear about.

On 7/2/2020 at 2:00 AM, Shmup said:

Mario Odyssey. Amazing game with so many interesting and fun levels. The hats also add an interesting dynamic to the game.

Previously it was Mario 64.

I agree to both, both are very good games.  I'm also quite fond of 3D World and hope it will get a rerelease sometime.

• 3 months later...
On 7/1/2020 at 7:59 PM, cj_robot said:

Going with Super Mario World

with Super Mario RPG as a close runner up

This would be mine as well. Super Mario World is without a single doubt my favorite game in the main franchise and Mario RPG is my favorite spin-off, so those two would have to go neck-and-neck for the title. I think SMW wins out simply because of how strongly it defined the transition from the NES to the post-NES era of gaming for me. It was the game that fostered a lot of hallmarks for me. I'm sometimes tempted to call SMW the "greatest video game of all time"...from a purely subjective position, of course.

On 7/8/2020 at 7:34 PM, The Strangest said:

I decided to open my 3DS and play this one again. I’m adding it to my list of favorite Mario games. It’s still incredibly fun.

3D land is great, one of my favorite 3DS titles.  It's even got something like a second quest.  Personally I think it's better than the Wii U sequel, 3D world.  The level designs seem more creative and less constrictive because they don't need to be playable for four players at once. 

20 minutes ago, CMR said:

3D land is great, one of my favorite 3DS titles.  It's even got something like a second quest.  Personally I think it's better than the Wii U sequel, 3D world.  The level designs seem more creative and less constrictive because they don't need to be playable for four players at once. 

I’ve heard others say the same, yeah. Seems a lot prefer the 3DS game over the Wii U sequel.

2 hours ago, DoctorEncore said:

Easiest question ever. SMB3.

People who didn't experience it just don't realize how big a deal SMB3 was when it came out. I wish I still had the family photos from Halloween 1990. My grandmother helped make me a custom Racoon Mario costume that was surprisingly good...and while trick-or-treating, in one of the houses I stopped at, I could see from the front door that they were playing SMB3 in the living room (they were on World 2, actually 🙂). When they saw my costume, they positively *flipped out* they thought it was so cool (and gave me an extra share of candy)!

• Like 2

I absolutely adored Super Mario 3D World, and I would place it above my previous favorite Mario title, Super Mario World. Despite having "3D" in the title, I consider it a 2D Mario game in the sense that traditional 2D Mario's have you go from start to finish with a flag pole at the end of each stage.

On 7/4/2020 at 10:36 PM, BortLicensePlate said:

The one on ds is pretty fun

I was just going to come back in here and give NSMB on DS an honorable mention. The controls are as tight as any other mario, I like how you have world bosses, not just koopalings, and the mini mushroom was do well executed allowing for so many different secrets by being small and going into mini pipes and small openings.

And there's the koopa shell power up. Takes a bit of practice, but is so much fun ramming through levels once you get the hang of it.

On 11/10/2020 at 11:43 PM, Webhead123 said:

People who didn't experience it just don't realize how big a deal SMB3 was when it came out. I wish I still had the family photos from Halloween 1990. My grandmother helped make me a custom Racoon Mario costume that was surprisingly good...and while trick-or-treating, in one of the houses I stopped at, I could see from the front door that they were playing SMB3 in the living room (they were on World 2, actually 🙂). When they saw my costume, they positively *flipped out* they thought it was so cool (and gave me an extra share of candy)!

Oh, it was a very big deal, definitely.  But what others don't realize is that SMB2 was also a big deal when it came out. Not as big of a deal, of course.  Its just that Nintendo-mania was perhaps not yet at its zenith, or the install base as big, in the US until 1989...a year after SMB2 came out.  I can honestly say, as a kid, I was more hyped for SMB2 than SMB3, what with the new Nintendo Power plastering it on its first cover and it being the first magazine I ever had in my life (counting the Fun Club as a newsletter and not as a mag!).  

SMB3 was definitely a bigger deal nationwide at the point when it came out, but thats just because of the extra two years that the install base could grow through the Xmas Days of 1988 and 1989.  🙂  And yes, it definitely is an objectively better game than SMB2...but subjectively, SMB2 was my "manic moment" for the NES.  I even went to The Wizard with my dad on a day off from school and remember getting the "mini Nintendo Power" or whatever it was they were giving away at the movie for SMB3.  I was still more excited for SMB2 for some reason.  

I remember my brother and I being the first people to rent SMB2 from our local video store.  We got to the rental store right when they were putting the game out on the rental rack.  I snapped it up quick and waited for my mom to finish getting her movie for the night.  In the two or three minutes since I snapped up SMB2, two other kids came running over and saw it was already "checked out."  They then ran to the front counter as we were going over to check out.  I remember the kids asking the clerk if it was really checked out and he said, as we were ringing up, "Yep, this kid here just brought it to the counter."  I made some kids super mad that day at our local video store.

Edited by Sumer
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Sumer said:

Oh, it was a very big deal, definitely.  But what others don't realize is that SMB2 was also a big deal when it came out.

Yes, absolutely. I actually inherited my uncle's NES in '89 and the first game burning in my brain was SMB2 (I had the good fortune to have played a handful of other games on the NES's owned by my cousins/friends but to that date, nobody I knew owned SMB2...difficult to get as it was).

Honestly, the "sequel trilogy" of SMB2, Zelda 2 and Castlevania 2, all having dropped during the '88 holiday season, marked the beginning of the true "Nintendo craze". It was a big enough deal by that time that Nintendo began making national news headlines. It was a wonderous time to be a kid, for sure.

I used to save up lunch money so I could buy Nintendo ice cream sandwiches and save the box, 'cause it had SMB2 characters on it. 😆

• Like 1

^You know, that Sequel Trilogy, as you call it, was definitely awesome.  All of those #2s seem to get flack for being too different from the first one, but as a kid back then, all three of those were deemed to be fun games amongst my group of friends because they were so different!  Even Castlevania 2, which gets mocked (because of AVGN?) nowadays I still find to be, at times, more fun than the first.

Yeah, '88 in the USA is probably when the craze was getting some strong headwinds (though '87 was starting to heat up...I got mine for Xmas '87 after playing Vs. Super Mario Bros arcade cab at a Mexican restaurant in the fall of 1987 and absolutely had to have the NES that year).  But 1989, with SMB3 being announced and all the other games coming out that year, seemed to be the high explosion year.  I could be totally wrong, but that was the perception at my school...I was one of the first ones to get a NES in 1987, and most friends of mine got theres by the end of 1989.  Heck, I had one friend who did not get a NES until the SNES was out...his parents really held out on not buying one for him and told him his Magnavox Odyssey 2 was good enough.  😄

• Like 1

On 11/10/2020 at 8:10 PM, DoctorEncore said:

Easiest question ever. SMB3.

Id pretty well agree, though I go back and forth between 1 and 3. Its close to unfair to include those. 

If you dont include smb 1 thru 3, smw, etc., its a more interesting question. My answer is NES Open. Shame on @Bearcat-Dougfor choosing golf over nes open. It improved upon golf exactly the right amount. Unless its pure nostalgia, I dont see any argument for the black box being better than nes open. 

Big honorable mention to Dr Mario. Also, @docile tapewormvoted twice in this thread. Shenanigans 

Edited by NESfiend
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, NESfiend said:

Id pretty well agree, though I go back and forth between 1 and 3. Its close to unfair to include those. 

If you dont include smb 1 thru 3, smw, etc., its a more interesting question. My answer is NES Open. Shame on @Bearcat-Dougfor choosing golf over nes open. It improved upon golf exactly the right amount. Unless its pure nostalgia, I dont see any argument for the black box being better than nes open. 

Big honorable mention to Dr Mario. Also, @docile tapewormvoted twice in this thread. Shenanigans 

I had Golf as a kid, so there is some nostalgia bias there.

12 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I had Golf as a kid, so there is some nostalgia bias there.

Have you played NES Open? Its the same swing format and general mechanics. The upgrades with spin and things like that are all pretty easy to pick up if you are good at black box golf. If you haven't checked it out, you really should. 

The list of reasons I am tempted to get a Switch is longer by the minute, but at the very top is the ability to play NES Open remotely with my brother and some of my extended family. It goes very well with beer and shit talking. 

54 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Have you played NES Open? Its the same swing format and general mechanics. The upgrades with spin and things like that are all pretty easy to pick up if you are good at black box golf. If you haven't checked it out, you really should. 

The list of reasons I am tempted to get a Switch is longer by the minute, but at the very top is the ability to play NES Open remotely with my brother and some of my extended family. It goes very well with beer and shit talking. 

I think I rented it back in the day. I'll have to check it out again.

3 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:

also "jack nicklaus greatest 18 holes..." is the best golf game followed by the pebble beach one. although i havent played lee trevinos yet...

Yeah, right... Nicklaus has a great presentation, but any golf game where you hit the pin on every other chip shot onto the green is doing something wrong under the hood...

Edited by Dr. Morbis
  • Haha 1