IGNORED

Why does no one care about SNES Slotted vs. Slide carts?

7 minutes ago, MrWunderful said:

Arent the slots the earlier ones?

Yes. Slots were added to the SNES so you can’t pull them out, kids tried anyway and damaged their consoles so Nintendo redesigned later carts to slide out when pulled.

At least that’s the theory.

5 minutes ago, Joshua Rogers said:

I think the whole 5-screw/3-screw difference has just been hyped up and somehow become popular. Maybe the right question is "why does anybody care about the 3-screw / 5-screw difference?" 😛Nobody cares about the different in the PAL regions at all.

The PAL people also think that PAL-A doesn’t matter in PAL-B regions and vice versa, so we’re not dealing with the best and brightest over there (sorry PALs, I honestly love you...and why the heck is Italy PAL-A!)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I just think it's a reflection of the size of the collecting communities. When it comes to NES, everyone and their grandmother is collecting so they need something to differentiate their sets. For SNES, I think most people are happy to stop at major variants like Japan/Mexico versions and Regular/Player's Choice versions.

Or it's just observation bias because this site in particular has a huge amount of NES fans.

Edited by DoctorEncore
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, DoctorEncore said:

I just think it's a reflection of the size of the collecting communities. When it comes to NES, everyone and their grandmother is collecting so they need something to differentiate their sets. For SNES, I think most people are happy to stop at major variants like Japan/Mexico versions and Regular/Player's Choice versions.

Or it's just observation bias because this site in particular has a huge amount of NES fans.

I don’t see people advertising “SUPER RARE SLOTTED CONTRA 3 L@@K OMG” on eBay at all, so it has to be no one actually cares about them.

But one thing I noticed people DO care about is the ultra hyper generic Majesco laaaaaaate rerelease games with just a plain sticker label and text.

Again, wtf.

The following is 100% licensed by Nintendo, authentic from Majesco, and originally released during the SNES lifespan some time in 1998/1999....seller is asking $300

E11C0B9C-5A56-44F8-82C4-F5A60D0DDA3E.jpeg

Edited by ThePhleo
  • Confused 2

27 minutes ago, Joshua Rogers said:

I think the whole 5-screw/3-screw difference has just been hyped up and somehow become popular. Maybe the right question is "why does anybody care about the 3-screw / 5-screw difference?" 😛Nobody cares about the different in the PAL regions at all.

This is the correct answer.

• Like 1

Kind of sad if you think about it having to retool the entire SNES cart shell and also partially the SNES as well removing the stick out tab part in the cart slot the system used to lock carts in place.  All because people don't read or care and would just grab and pull causing damage.  It was a smart move in theory to keep games from popping loose and losing your work, but stupidfingers basically ruined it.

I just figured the slot/slope thing was just not worth bothering to care about as it was a fairly hard point in time they stopped them cold.  Might as well also waffle and worry over which games legitimately came with dust clips and didn't because they cheaped out on those too.

SNES cartridges stacked horizontally on a shelf all look uniform (except maybe Killer Instinct). Not so with NES cartridges.

For me, the important SNES variation is “Made in Japan” vs “Made in Mexico” cartridge labels. The Japan labels are almost always higher quality in appearance and durability.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, LostLevel83 said:

SNES cartridges stacked horizontally on a shelf all look uniform (except maybe Killer Instinct). Not so with NES cartridges.

For me, the important SNES variation is “Made in Japan” vs “Made in Mexico” cartridge labels. The Japan labels are almost always higher quality in appearance and durability.

Good point.

Also, since you brought up the black Killer Instinct cartridge don’t forget Maximum Carnage, and Doom are red carts! (Crazy we didn’t get a zelda gold cart, especially considering all the SFC gold special edition carts)

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, ThePhleo said:

Crazy we didn’t get a zelda gold cart, especially considering all the SFC gold special edition carts

hell, i'd be tempted to buy a 3rd party gold cartridge and label to replace my LTTP copy. they really should have done it that way originally. obviously, they realized their mistake and corrected it on n64.

i (most likely) wouldn't follow through, but damn i would be tempted.

• Like 1

You guys have already said a lot, most of which I skimmed, but for me the 5-screws just look cool.  I don't really want a "complete set" of them, but when I find a 5-screw I don't own in great shape, I pick it up regardless of the game (unless I already own it.) I'm not looking to pay premiums and I miiiiight pay an extra $1-2 for a 5-screw but that's about it.

They just feel a bit more polished when you look at them.  And the LoZ cart is the best.  The 5-screw variant makes it look a bit less like a piece of plastic and more like a brick of gold.

So that's what those variations are called!  Yeah, I thought only the very earliest games were the slot kind.  How about the ones that do or do not use the little side cartridge contacts?  And BTW you know that Full House episode where people got so hooked on a game?  Not only did it feature the SNES Advantage but Michelle did in fact pull the cartridge out without using the eject button.  Oops.

Administrator · Posted
6 minutes ago, Estil said:

So that's what those variations are called!  Yeah, I thought only the very earliest games were the slot kind.  How about the ones that do or do not use the little side cartridge contacts?  And BTW you know that Full House episode where people got so hooked on a game?  Not only did it feature the SNES Advantage but Michelle did in fact pull the cartridge out without using the eject button.  Oops.

Like Mega Man X2, X3, Doom, and Vortex?