IGNORED

ADDED POLL: With all the break-ins and looting going on right now, is anyone thinking of selling the collection?

phart010

With all the break-ins and looting going on right now, is anyone thinking of selling the collection?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. With all the break-ins and looting going on right now, is anyone thinking of selling the collection?

• I’m considering selling some
    • Not yet, but we’ll wait and see
    • This situation has no affect on my game collection

All respect to George Floyd. THIS THREAD IS NOT BEING POLITICAL OR DEBATING RIGHT OR WRONG ABOUT THE PROTESTS..

But fact is that there’s lots of break-ins and looting happening right now. Seems to be consolidated to mostly businesses in downtown areas right now..  I happen to know some people who have personally been affected in my downtown area (which I would have never expected in my city). 

I’m thinking that a lot of people are getting a taste of looting for the first time right now, and worry if the unemployment situation doesn’t improve fast, the situation might perpetuate and spread beyond the cities.

Is anyone considering pre-emptively selling off their gaming goods as a safeguard against looting?

Edited by phart010

Preparedness is something I have been thinking about more these last few months.  Between Covid and the riots there is plenty going on.  I had to take a different route home because the city was under curfew and many routes downtown had police blocks.

With that said I wouldn't be selling anything unless the funds were needed for the safety and security of my household.  Still far from that being needed.

Edited by zeppelin03

I honestly don't get the point of all the rioting...the culprit was caught red, eh, "kneed"?  Instantly he and his buddies were fired, and he's facing and is all but ensured of a conviction of the most serious charge the law allows.  So why is this much rioting going on anyway?  This is making the Rodney King rioting look like a few couch fires...and at least for that one their motives kinda made sense (it most definitely does NOT make what the rioters did right; then or now)!  Even as a then 12 year old, I saw the Rodney King beating tape like everyone else and just couldn't for the life of me understand how the cops got off scot free.  I mean, what did the jury see the public did not?

Just so there's no confusion, and I hope I explained the above right, I don't want any misunderstandings...there is NO excuse for any of this rioting and it won't do anyone any good...and I bet they're being not-so-mindful of that whole social distancing thing....

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

24 minutes ago, Estil said:

I honestly don't get the point of all the rioting...the culprit was caught red, eh, "kneed"?  Instantly he and his buddies were fired, and he's facing and is all but ensured of a conviction of the most serious charge the law allows.  So why is this much rioting going on anyway?  This is making the Rodney King rioting look like a few couch fires...and at least for that one their motives kinda made sense (it most definitely does NOT make what the rioters did right; then or now)!  Even as a then 12 year old, I saw the Rodney King beating tape like everyone else and just couldn't for the life of me understand how the cops got off scot free.  I mean, what did the jury see the public did not?

Just so there's no confusion, and I hope I explained the above right, I don't want any misunderstandings...there is NO excuse for any of this rioting and it won't do anyone any good...and I bet they're being not-so-mindful of that whole social distancing thing....

55 minutes ago, phart010 said:

THIS THREAD IS NOT BEING POLITICAL OR DEBATING RIGHT OR WRONG ABOUT THE PROTESTS..

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

(in response to your post)

Protests =/= rioting.  The OP IS about the rioting.  And that is what I commented on.  And I'm about as pro-free speech as you will ever find...but all this burning/breaking stuff and hurting people is just not done.

Just now, Estil said:

Protests =/= rioting.  The OP IS about the rioting.  And that is what I commented on.  And I'm about as pro-free speech as you will ever find...but all this burning/breaking stuff and hurting people is just not done.

There's a whole thread if you want to go political. He's asking what you would do with your collection.

• Like 2

Just now, Tulpa said:

There's a whole thread if you want to go political. He's asking what you would do with your collection.

I hope you're not implying that rioting is in anyway a valid political or protesting kind of thing.  I'm very fortunate to live in about as safe a place (my previous residence a few years back, not exactly so much) as you could reasonably hope to find (no it's not a gated community, don't I wish!!) so I'm in no position to say.

1 hour ago, Estil said:

Whoa....... smh

Are rioters breaking into houses looking for tender tapes? No. 

plus i have pretty good security and live in a safe area. 

so no. 

and if you dont “get it”, its probably because you arent a minority who has been systematically discriminated against their whole life. 

Like the member here who swore up and down that there is no racism in the USA anymore (also a white guy)

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, MrWunderful said:

Are rioters breaking into houses looking for tender tapes? No. 

plus i have pretty good security and live in a safe area. 

so no. 

and if you dont “get it”, its probably because you arent a minority who has been systematically discriminated against their whole life. 

Like the member here who swore up and down that there is no racism in the USA anymore (also a white guy)

I would agree that rioters aren’t looking for the Nintender tapes specifically. But looters (a different crowd than rioters and protesters) are opportunists. They take advantage of the fact that majority of police are distracted and go for anything of value. What things of value are there in a restaurant?? I can’t think of anything really,  but apparently the looters over here helped themselves and cleaned the place out.

• Like 2

I live a long distance away from Santa Monica, Los Angeles, and Long Beach. Plus the rebuilding of my collection (including retroactive replacements) are strictly Japanese imports. And that amount would not cover the amount of gas needed (for a non-hybrid) to find a shop and sell them. So nope... I am not worried.

1 hour ago, MrWunderful said:

Between the way my life was both before and after my Asperger's diagnosis I get it. And the reality with that does not have the discrimination, bullying, and abuse be the lone issue. That is the part where being yourself allows single player games to become your best friend. And I will say more if needed. But for right now what I can say has me feel thankful we have VGA. As well as feel safe knowing that my collection is not rare or popular enough that it is worth stealing. 🙂

Edited by FenrirZero
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, guitarzombie said:

No?  This thread is silly.

My thoughts initially, but I live in a suburban area and the closest thing we have to riots is about 30 middle school kids walking in the park with signs. I say those were my thoughts initially because I used to live in Washington DC in an area that is probably getting hit really hard right now with rioting. If I still lived there, I probably wouldn't be selling, but I would be getting my collection and some other valuables the heck out of that apartment until things calmed down. I probably would found a secure place in Virginia and paid to store everything there. Hard to figure what that secure place would be though. I know from my career that storage sheds/lockers are just ticking time bombs for burglaries. I have had clients who are really good at robbing them and have hit hundreds before finally getting caught. 

Edited by NESfiend