IGNORED

Where were the Ninja Turtles in PS1/N64 era?

phart010

9 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

Dude, have you priced new pinball machines? That's typical for Sterns. Jersey Jack machines are actually pricier.

You can always go used if you want to pay less.

I'm just taking it at face value not comparing it to Sterns. It might be less expensive but it's still a lot.

Yeah i'd probably go used in that case but maintainence remains a hassle and every replacement part might not even be around when you need it.

5 minutes ago, JamesRobot said:

I was pretty much over Ninja Turtles after Secret of the Ooze.  The Turtles took a weird turn in the mid 90s.

Yeah even back then I wondered how the '87 Turtles were able to keep going until 1996.  The Red Sky era (S8-S10; S1-S3 was the syndicated era, S4-S7 was the CBS era) intro with both the animated and movie scenes was really neat though.

7 minutes ago, cartman said:

I'm just taking it at face value not comparing it to Sterns. It might be less expensive but it's still a lot.

Yeah i'd probably go used in that case but maintainence remains a hassle and every replacement part might not even be around when you need it.

It's like owning a car, it's an investment.

Honestly, maintenance has gotten better with the computer controlled ones versus the older all mechanical ones.

If you really want a heart attack, look up what a Medieval Madness tends to go for.

Edited by Tulpa

8 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

It's like owning a car, it's an investment.

Honestly, maintenance has gotten better with the computer controlled ones versus the older all mechanical ones.

If you really want a heart attack, look up what a Medieval Madness tends to go for.

Cars are a pretty shitty investment though unless you own something that's old classic or some limited sportcar. 

It might've gotten better but you still have to know a bunch of technical shit i would think. For someone like me who knows none it would be an overcourse even if someone else says it's a cakewalk. 

Yeah i've heard of that one it's kinda unique in it's own way. But i'm not really surprised that collectibles go for a lot i know that is the case in many different markets. 

1 hour ago, mbd39 said:

As if lack of quality would ever prevent a popular license from being made into a game. Waning popularity was the reason.

I think you shouldn’t be too quick to dismiss my hypothesis - graphical and technical limitations to produce a fast 3D fighting game. 

I’ve played a fair few PS1 games back then and I can’t easily recall many excellent 3D beat’em ups. Fighting Force, Tenchu and Ninja were games I’ve tried in bits; and I don’t recall them to be fast-paced action.

Kind of odd the more I think about it, that this era of PS1/N64 and they couldn’t produce any 3D fighting game that could surpass the 16-bit Streets of Rage/Final Fight!

17 minutes ago, cartman said:

Cars are a pretty shitty investment though unless you own something that's old classic or some limited sportcar. 

I don't mean appreciation, I just mean owning in general. Yes, they cost a lot, but you got to pay to play. They cost what they cost.

8 minutes ago, GPX said:

I think you shouldn’t be too quick to dismiss my hypothesis - graphical and technical limitations to produce a fast 3D fighting game. 

I’ve played a fair few PS1 games back then and I can’t easily recall many excellent 3D beat’em ups. Fighting Force, Tenchu and Ninja were games I’ve tried in bits; and I don’t recall them to be fast-paced action.

Kind of odd the more I think about it, that this era of PS1/N64 and they couldn’t produce any 3D fighting game that could surpass the 16-bit Streets of Rage/Final Fight!

I think mdb39's point is that technical limitations wouldn't have stopped anyone from making a TMNT game.

It would have been a really shitty one, but when has that stopped a game from coming out? See also: Superman 64.

Edited by Tulpa

Just now, Tulpa said:

I don't mean appreciation, I just mean owning in general. Yes, they cost a lot, but you got to pay to play. They cost what they cost.

Oh yeah in that sense. Yeah cars are pretty useful so it's worth putting money there. But i can get a ton more play and collecting out of regular gaming than for a single pinball i don't value pinball as a top thing to do but it's all good he can do that.

3 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

I think mdb39's point is that technical limitations wouldn't have stopped anyone from making a TMNT game.

It would have been a really shitty one, but when has that stopped a game from coming out? See also: Superman 64.

I already mentioned previously that I agree with the “waning popularity” factor. I was just adding some further possibilities as to why there was a no-show. 

Perhaps the excrement that was Superman 64 (and the fact probably no one bought it), was the main instigator why gaming companies in the late 90s didn’t bother with comic franchises turn-3D beat em ups...?! 😆

I think that's the era when the nannying of stuff started to hit a more early unique peak level of stupidity.  Someone called CPS on Splinter because it seemed creepy that an old man would have four young boys who are entirely unrelated in his care while having them minimally dressed and often performing activities under his supervision as he sat and leered at them doing it.  They got taken away from the city and put into custody until they hit legal age to no longer be wards of the state. 😄

• Sad 1

The post Sega Saturn era had a huge drop off in best em up style games just overall. TMNT really capitalized on the genre so it's natural that there wouldn't be turtle games if the genre of all turtle games was basically non existent. 

It would have been cool to have a 3d TMNT beat em up but it turned out that even when one did happen of PS2 and Wii, they weren't really that good. 

5 hours ago, GPX said:

a game requiring 3D graphics catering for Ninja fighting mechanics (fast and responsive 3D action) would not be suitable until by the next wave of generations ie. PS2/GameCube.

I disagree on the basis of Soul Blade and Tony Hawk Pro Skater.

2 hours ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

The post Sega Saturn era had a huge drop off in best em up style games just overall. TMNT really capitalized on the genre so it's natural that there wouldn't be turtle games if the genre of all turtle games was basically non existent. 

It would have been cool to have a 3d TMNT beat em up but it turned out that even when one did happen of PS2 and Wii, they weren't really that good. 

Regarding your first paragraph, if the genre was “basically non-existent”, wouldn’t it make more sense for a company to cash in and exploit the genre due to scarcity? The big question to me, is that why was there very few 3D beat’em ups during this particular era?

1 minute ago, GPX said:

Regarding your first paragraph, if the genre was “basically non-existent”, wouldn’t it make more sense for a company to cash in and exploit the genre due to scarcity? The big question to me, is that why was there very few 3D beat’em ups during this particular era?

It's a good question. I think that most companies want to cash in rather than pave the way. It's a lot safer to pitch games when you have so many other games in that genre crushing it. 

Look at how RPGs on the PS1 came flying out left and right after / while FFVII was dominating sales. And 3D platformers were everywhere after Crash / Spyro / Mario 64 were crushing the market as well. 

I think most devs would rather go with the flow than be another fighting force 64. That's one reason gauntlet legends stands out to me bc they really took a risk with the whole way the game was designed and it payed off.

4 minutes ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

It's a good question. I think that most companies want to cash in rather than pave the way. It's a lot safer to pitch games when you have so many other games in that genre crushing it. 

Look at how RPGs on the PS1 came flying out left and right after / while FFVII was dominating sales. And 3D platformers were everywhere after Crash / Spyro / Mario 64 were crushing the market as well. 

I think most devs would rather go with the flow than be another fighting force 64. That's one reason gauntlet legends stands out to me bc they really took a risk with the whole way the game was designed and it payed off.

Did Gauntlet Legends paid off though? I don’t recall it getting rave reviews back then. Then you look at other 3D beat’em ups for both platforms - Superman, Xena, Hercules, Fighting Force - all mostly duds and slow-plodders. This suggests to me there is a likely technical challenge to make these types of games, or perhaps developers found it too time consuming to produce a decent game compared with other genres. I think also companies were too focused on polygonal graphics during this era, and perhaps felt compelled to compete with each other on this forefront?

At the time I was under the impression the franchise just ended completely, wasn't considered cool anymore? And then got rebooted years later? I remember when things used to be allowed to just completely end/fade out. Not anymore. Now every franchise is everlasting.

21 minutes ago, Quest4Nes said:

I seem to have forgotten a yellow turtle?

Sorry couldnt let this commrnt stand unchecked. You're banned

Go back and look at the original arcade cabinet, or the Arcade1up release. Mike is yellow sometimes!

spacer.png

Edited by trj22487

3 hours ago, GPX said:

Did Gauntlet Legends paid off though? I don’t recall it getting rave reviews back then. Then you look at other 3D beat’em ups for both platforms - Superman, Xena, Hercules, Fighting Force - all mostly duds and slow-plodders. This suggests to me there is a likely technical challenge to make these types of games, or perhaps developers found it too time consuming to produce a decent game compared with other genres. I think also companies were too focused on polygonal graphics during this era, and perhaps felt compelled to compete with each other on this forefront?

Gaunlet legends was on the top 3 of best action games, along with smash Bros for 1999. 

I didn't realize how late of a release it was though honestly. It seems that by that time they figured out the 3d fighting mechanics pretty well with smash, gaunlet, power stone all being released around that same time. Even Jackie Chan stuntmaster for PS1 was a 2000 release it is possibly the best best em up released on the system in the west. 

I agree through. There must've been a learning curve bc the early 3d best em ups were disasters across the board.