IGNORED

Super Mario World vs Super Mario Bros 3

LaytToTheParty

I absolutely love Super Mario Bros 3, and it's easily one of the best games on the NES. However, I personally prefer Super Mario World-- more levels, more secrets, more powerups, 16-bit graphics, more attacks, and connected world map rather than individual worlds, Yoshi, I could go on and on. However, I've seen people who actually like Super Mario Bros 3 more. Why is that? Is it all nostalgia? Don't get me wrong, SMB3 is phenomenal, but it just seems to me like World improved upon the Mario formula in every way. It's like Zelda 1 vs Link to the Past, Metroid vs Super Metroid, ect

I prefer SMB 3.  Id agree the cape thing was definitely inferior to the leaf.  Also I just feel like pound for pound it was better.  It might be that having less crap going on and fewer levels made it more focused.  

Also, Zelda 1 IS superior to Link to the Past.  That’s a game that is way over hyped.  

• Like 1

I like the level design and feel of SMB3 more than SMW. There is something to be said for iterating on a successful formula and SMB3 perfected how Mario feels on the NES. If Nintendo had made a true sequel to SMW, perhaps I'd be singing a different tune. But they only gave themselves one shot at adding a whole bunch of mechanics and not all of them work. Puzzle solving and additional exits are cool, but I don't think the feather, spin jump, or Yoshi add anything meaningful to the game. In fact, I think they actually detract from the overall experience.

I'd even go so far as to say that the original SMB is more enjoyable than SMW.

Edited by DoctorEncore

30 minutes ago, Hammerfestus said:

I prefer SMB 3.  Id agree the cape thing was definitely inferior to the leaf.  Also I just feel like pound for pound it was better.  It might be that having less crap going on and fewer levels made it more focused.  

Also, Zelda 1 IS superior to Link to the Past.  That’s a game that is way over hyped.  

I was just stating that the comparison if Zelda 1 vs Alttp is similar to Smb3 vs Smw. What about alttp do you not like? I agree it's overhyped, but I still enjoyed it over Zelda 1. Zelda 1 without a map was so fun tho... Zelda 1 without a map was as addicting for me as playing Dark Souls blind.

Edited by LaytToTheParty

I am not an NES fan but I am a fan of SMB3. It's just a really well done game.  The levels are great and progress nicely. 

SMW adds a lot of stuff I don't really care about. I almost never use the spin jump or fly across stages.  It's more a means to slow fall for me. I never seek out all the secrets.  It feels like the early 90s equivalent of all achievements.  I just don't care to do it all.

3 has it all without the fluff. Graphics, music, level design, and nice difficult curve.

Edited by zeppelin03

8 minutes ago, The Strangest said:

One thing I enjoy about SMW of SMB3 is the save system. Fuck me if I want to play SMB3 in one sitting

I don't see the lack of a save system as a flaw.  There are 2 warp whistles available almost immediately that when combined can take you to any level in the game.  They gave us a level select instead of a save system.  I think this difference helps makes the 2 games complementary.  SMB3 is great to randomly pick up and play a world anytime and SMW is better to play less frequently but play from start to finish.

• Like 2

I prefer SMW.  I think it has better replay value.  I love the continuous overworld map.  I love the graphics.  I love Yoshi.  I always thought the cape was one of the better looks for Mario.  It's also the only Mario game I can 1 CC.  I still love SMB3, just not as much as SMW.

SMB2 > SMW > SMB3 > SMB  (not a single bad game in that list)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Blitus said:

I don't see the lack of a save system as a flaw.  There are 2 warp whistles available almost immediately that when combined can take you to any level in the game.  They gave us a level select instead of a save system. 

That's the one thing I hate about the warp whistle system; I don't like skipping over chunks of the game.

• Like 1

I skew SMB3 but they’d both be in my top 10 games ever. SMW is just too easy which is my only real beef with it. SMB3 has a better difficulty curve.

Sometimes I honestly wonder if I like NSMBU more than SMW. Nostalgia is holding to me too tight to say it, and it doesn’t take as many risks as it should (Remember that single Van Gogh level? Why wasn’t there more of that??) but it’s a masterpiece.

Edited by DefaultGen

I swear this is like that one hot button classic Nintendo issue that'll never die.  SMB3 vs SMB4(World.)

It's just very hard to choose, and I think for many it could even flip flop depending on the mood, year, whatever as they're close.  I've had trouble at times even, but ultimately, I always have to throw it SMB3.

Why?

Variety, layers and layers of more variety.  It's best put not talking about it, but Super Mario World.  Strip the 16bit visuals and audio away, hell pretend it was using even the SMB3 engine or a prettier hybrid of that and Mario 2 to be more cartoony (like World is.)  Super Mario World has less worlds, less stages if I recall correctly.  It did have some more fleshed out(a bit) secret paths and the big one star roads hidden space.  SMW though had the mushroom, the fire flower, cape, and yoshi...they stripped a lot of diversity of abilities out of the game.  SMB3 had mushroom, fire flower, leaf (p-wing sustained leaf), shoe, frog, hammer and tanooki suits each with unique abilities.  SMB3 also just had more stage variety, a bit less generic than your typical stuff with giant land, the pipe world, and half of koopas world being a few gauntlets of warships and war machines, not just generic hard stages.  If anything, the failing of that game, a lack of a battery...yeesh.  SMW also did away with warping the last 3 games had for just hidden short cuts you still slowly had to walk out to bypass.

10 hours ago, LaytToTheParty said:

I was just stating that the comparison if Zelda 1 vs Alttp is similar to Smb3 vs Smw. What about alttp do you not like? I agree it's overhyped, but I still enjoyed it over Zelda 1. Zelda 1 without a map was so fun tho... Zelda 1 without a map was as addicting for me as playing Dark Souls blind.

It’s just so dull.  The cutesy wootsy graphics really kill the edge and tension of the NES iterations for me.  It also felt really dragged out.  Whereas the length of the first could mostly be attributed to exploration and discovering your next moves (it’s actually relatively short once you know what you’re doing), the second just dragged on and on and I was tired of it by the time I even got to the dark world.

• Like 1

Super Mario Bros. 3 all the way.

My reasoning is nuts, because I prefer NOT having a save feature. Yes, that's right, I said it. I prefer SMB 3 because it lacks a save feature. You play that game straight through, or you use warp whistles and miss collecting powerups. You had to be good, or really good. No other options!

SMW is a cake walk in comparison. The controls are great but I always found the game almost plays itself. I like the grittiness of SMB 3. Also:

11 hours ago, skinnygrinny said:

smb3 > smw

its a simple as leaf>feather.

the mechanics of "flying" with the leaf is superior to the feather. 

its the feather that turns me away from smw. i hate it.

This.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Hammerfestus said:

It’s just so dull.  The cutesy wootsy graphics really kill the edge and tension of the NES iterations for me.  It also felt really dragged out.  Whereas the length of the first could mostly be attributed to exploration and discovering your next moves (it’s actually relatively short once you know what you’re doing), the second just dragged on and on and I was tired of it by the time I even got to the dark world.

I actually thought Alttp was insanely short. I played ALBW first, so maybe that has something to do with it, but I got through Alttp blindly in 5 hours, less than it took me to beat Link's Awakening, which I think is the better Zelda game. Link's Awakening just has was more diversity in its dungeons, gameplay, and bosses, and I loved the tropicial island setting and the trading game. And it's also the first Zelda game to have an actual story.

47 minutes ago, Hammerfestus said:

Valid critique. ALTTP is my favorite game of all time. I don't even register the graphics as cutesy, they just look like then-modern NES adaptations. I totally understand where you're coming from though; some of the artwork from that period if kind of dumb. The original LoZ is my favorite NES game. SMB 3 is second. Friday the 13th is third.

11 hours ago, Blitus said:

I don't see the lack of a save system as a flaw.  There are 2 warp whistles available almost immediately that when combined can take you to any level in the game.  They gave us a level select instead of a save system.  I think this difference helps makes the 2 games complementary.  SMB3 is great to randomly pick up and play a world anytime and SMW is better to play less frequently but play from start to finish.

This is exactly how I look at it. Maybe I just grew up with enthusiasm for games that required long sitting time. I guess years and years of playing the original LoZ pre-internet will do that to you,.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MegaMan52 said:

Super Mario Bros. 3.

The lack of a save feature isn't really a flaw to me. In my opinion, the game is worth playing through in one sitting.

I won't lie, this is like, the only time I've seen an even remotely positive consensus on lack of a save feature being a positive in this game.

Usually everyone claims it's the reason the game isn't perfect.

51 minutes ago, Nostalgic Machine said:

Friday the 13th is third

derailing a bit, but I'm also a fan of the F13 game. Wouldn't put it up as high as you, though. BUT, I do consider A Nightmare On Elm Street to be top tier. THAT is one of my absolute favorite NES games of all time. Both of those games are totally misunderstood.