IGNORED

Boss Rush

GPX

This topic is about the main reason why we play games, where (usually) good triumphs over evil, where the main player gets to lash out on the villains aka “bosses”. 

What has been some games where the bosses have been memorable to you? What has made them so unique that has left a pleasurable imprint on your memory cells? And dare I ask, who is the biggest, baddest boss of them all?

The most memorable one for me is the bonus museum battle in Shining Force CD (where you face all of the bosses from the earlier 3 books),  You can't really rush the harder ones since they are in clusters of 3 and will slaughter your troops if you use that approach,  You have to watch their patterns and figure out how to cut them out to be dealt with one at a time.  It is IMHO the most challenging battle in the whole series.

Edited by Tabonga
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RH said:

Because I am occasionally dyslexic, I came here expecting a discussion on Bob Ross. I was disappointed.

At least you didn’t read it as “Boss rob” - and thinking the thread was about how to rob your boss..

addit - had to look him up. Sounds like a popular painter for his time. 

Edited by GPX
  • Haha 1

I had to think long for an answer. There have been so many fun battles with so many bosses over my gaming journey I just realized it’s actually not that easy to narrow it down to just one or two boss characters! So I’m throwing up a short list of ones that have stuck on my mind without having to do any Google search:

- last boss in Super Ghouls n Ghosts - probably the first game I’ve played with gigantic bosses that fill up nearly half the screen; and nearly the full screen in the case of the last boss.

- Skeleton boss in Super Contra/Probotector on the SNES. Not necessarily the toughest boss, but one that has left a lasting memory. I remember loving Konami games back in the 90s for their creativity and awesome bosses.

- M.Bison in StreetFighter 2. The game was revolutionary for the play mechanics but also underrated for the challenge and level progression. So many coins slotted into an arcade machine just to get to the bosses, all memorable ones (Balrog, Vega, Sagat and M.Bison). Then later defeating them all including the lucky last, M.Bison, was very satisfying to say the least.

2 minutes ago, GPX said:

I had to think long for an answer. There have been so many fun battles with so many bosses over my gaming journey I just realized it’s actually not that easy to narrow it down to just one or two boss characters! So I’m throwing up a short list of ones that have stuck on my mind without having to do any Google search:

- last boss in Super Ghouls n Ghosts - probably the first game I’ve played with gigantic bosses that fill up nearly half the screen; and nearly the full screen in the case of the last boss.

- Skeleton boss in Super Contra/Probotector on the SNES. Not necessarily the toughest boss, but one that has left a lasting memory. I remember loving Konami games back in the 90s for their creativity and awesome bosses.

- M.Bison in StreetFighter 2. The game was revolutionary for the play mechanics but also underrated for the challenge and level progression. So many coins slotted into an arcade machine just to get to the bosses, all memorable ones (Balrog, Vega, Sagat and M.Bison). Then later defeating them all including the lucky last, M.Bison, was very satisfying to say the least.

I'd probably vote Vega as the best boss fight from the original SF2. Cool stage, cool character design, interesting fighting style and attacks.

• Like 1

I hate most bosses. I always feel like the journey through the levels is the fun part of a game and hard bosses are always roadblocks in the way of more fun. I think that's why I love the Ninja Gaiden games, because typically the bosses are total pushovers and the platforming is the more challenging part.

The DK64 King K Rool boss comes to mind as a particularly cool one. The toughest Metroid Prime boss fights like Boost Guardian and Omega Pirate stand out in my mind too, probably because I struggled with them and wasn't as good at games back then, ha.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mbd39 said:

God of War 1 and 2 have some epic boss fights.

You meant just God of War 2? 😛

GoW has three boss fights, and IMO the only memorable one is within the first 5 minutes of the game. They had to slash a lot of bosses due to time restraints, and it's very obvious where there are some missing ones. I'm happy a lot of the content they skipped eventually would make it into the sequel. 🙂

So many games in my baggage, it's hard to single out specific experiences, or even think of them.

For the NES, one of the more memorable ones to me is Jaquio from the first Ninja Gaiden, that is, the second form of the final boss.
Throughout the entire game, every single boss is a pushover, and then this guy just shows up and stumps any wannabe ninja champion. He's extremely hard to make a dent in without thorough practice, but once you "get it" it's like a light bulb coming on over your head.
hqdefault.jpg
I love how he's so deviously simple, doing essentially just one thing - moving left to right in a completely consistent pattern, doing nothing but throwing two aimed fireballs at a predictable rhythm. There's nothing random in the fight, but deviating just a little from your planned approach can cause the fireballs to stay on the screen as they turn around to hunt you, resulting in a world of pain. Beating this guy for the first time is such a satisfying moment.

7 hours ago, GPX said:

That guy is a nice way to end the game, but he's also a huge pushover.
However, from this game I'd definitely nominate the guy you fight, right before this battle - a return of the boss from the first game in the series, this time sporting two separate phases. You fight him on the first loop also, but being able to stay at a safe distance to hurt him, you can easily anticipate his pattern, and take him out with little effort. But on the second loop, you need to beat him with the magic ring weapon, so the only way to do decent damage is by getting all up into his face, which makes him multitudes more dangerous.
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRWWRd7-S9AW150d8nk2lJ
Both phases perform similar attach (a close range and a long range one), but one fires them in a predictable pattern at a random rate, while the other form fires a random pattern at a predictable rate, each of them giving you the tools you need to both anticipate what's coming, but still keep you on your toes constantly, and improvise at any given moment. It's really brilliant.

Edited by Sumez
  • Like 2

Mega Man games are all about the bosses. The stage names are the bosses, and the stages are themed after them. 

Super Mario 3 did a good job of differentiating the Koopa Kids. You mostly beat them the same way, some have extra attacks, but they ruled unique worlds. And in the manual and strategy guide they all had different personalities.

Zelda games usually have pretty great bosses. Ecxept Skyward Sword where you have to fight Ghirahim and Imprisoned 3x each, that’s lame. But otherwise they are among my top. Dodongo, Ghoma, Stallord, Dark Link, various dragons... so many awesome exciting boss fights.

Additional mentions:
Battletoads and Super Battletoads
X-Men (arcade)
Kung Fu
Kid Niki

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sumez said:

You meant just God of War 2? 😛

GoW has three boss fights, and IMO the only memorable one is within the first 5 minutes of the game. They had to slash a lot of bosses due to time restraints, and it's very obvious where there are some missing ones. I'm happy a lot of the content they skipped eventually would make it into the sequel. 🙂

Oh yeah. It's been around 10 years since I've played either game. The final boss from the first God of War is memorable. Especially since I had to restart the fight a few times due to the game crashing.

Bayonetta games have some epic bosses. Super Castlevania 4 has an actual boss run at the end of the game which I've always enjoyed. 

Although I don't remember it that well I want to say Onimusha had a few epic fights. I remember one guy falls on your sword and it slices him in two as he e slides against it.. pretty epic but I forget a lot about that game including that fight. 

Yoshi's Island final boss was always pretty sick. Cool idea and killer music, especially for a Mario game. 

RPGs usually round out the game with some epic fight like FF3/6

• Like 1

I've always loved the final bosses from Bionic Commando.  Even though the Albatross doesn't exactly fight back at you, swinging in to destroy it always felt epic. Then if that wasn't enough, you follow that up with a do-or-die bazooka shot at a helicopter while falling from above. Great stuff!

• Like 1