IGNORED

Resident Evil the Thread

4 minutes ago, AstralSoul64 said:

Crash Bandicoot and Spyro got trilogy remasters which stayed true to the originals but look amazing and I was very happy to have those. 

Crash and Spyro were also remakes not remasters.  It gets confusing when the remakes are 1:1 remakes, but still, not the same as a remaster.  

5 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

That's interesting about remaking part 4.  I would have certainly guess that Code Veronica would get remade before 4.  

You'd think after remaking 2 and 3 they'd go to Code Veronica but for some reason that game seems to be the odd duck of the bunch. I'm not sure why. It was one of the best games in the series. Don't get me wrong I love RE4 but it's not in need of a remake. Just makes me think they are remaking games just to remake them at this point. At least remaking 3 after 2 made sense since they were connected and reused a lot of the same assets.

2 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

Crash and Spyro were also remakes not remasters.  It gets confusing when the remakes are 1:1 remakes, but still, not the same as a remaster.  

I mean I agree with you but they are officially called remasters. I think the difference is remaster recreates the exact same game experience just with better graphics vs a remake which almost retells the same story in a different way. 

5 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

I'm glad you brought up CE.  I've always wanted to get around to CE just like RE3.  I also really want to play 0 and the remake of the original.  However, I've never had much interest in any of the games from RE4 on up.  

The GameCube remake of the original is fantastic. It's objectively scarier and has refined gameplay, improved graphics, and Crimson Head zombies which are terrifying. I loved it back when it was released.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, profholt82 said:

1-3 on Playstation and Code Veronica for the Dreamcast are all awesome games. I prefer the "director's cut" of the first game that let's you use the dual shock. I went back and played through RE2 a few months back for the first time in years, and it was as great as I remembered.

Even though RE4 is now considered to be this amazing game that everyone on the internet coos over nowadays, I've just always thought it was a slog to get through. I didn't care for the gameplay changes, and the game works better than Nyquil if I'm having a case of insomnia. 

As for all the new remakes of everything, that's nice I guess. I'm personally not into all of these remakes of old games that keep coming out by the buttloads year after year. Are developers just out of ideas today or something? I swear, it seems like every month or so, I hear about another remake. Last I heard it was FF7 and Panzer Dragoon. Why?

"It's the same game you already have, but the graphics are nicer now!!!"

Ok, cool. To each their own I suppose, but not my thing.

I feel the same way about 4. I played it in 2016, well after it's initial release, and I thought it was pretty boring. It may have been fun in release, but it does NOT hold up well, in my opinion.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, AstralSoul64 said:

I mean I agree with you but they are officially called remasters. I think the difference is remaster recreates the exact same game experience just with better graphics vs a remake which almost retells the same story in a different way. 

They were remade from the ground up, so they can't be remasters.  They are 1:1 remakes like the Twin Snakes remake and the SOTC remake, but that isn't to be confused with remasters which take the same game and improve the overall resolution of the graphics. 

Sometimes it gets super confusing when a remake gets a remaster like they did with Resident Evil.  The GameCube version was a remake of the original game.  That version was eventually given a remaster for the current generation of consoles.  Sometimes it's the other way around.  Shadow of the Colossus was originally released on the PS2.  It was remastered for the PS3 (along with Ico), but was later rebuilt from the ground up and became a remake for the PS4.  

I love everything RE!  I've played and beat everything in the series other than a few of the oddballs.  RE 3 was my second favorite game of the series behind the REmake on GameCube.  The remake of 3 is cool, but definitely not worth more than 20$.  I really wish they had kept it closer to the original.

Also 4-6 are garbage 😁

• Like 1

Regarding RE5: while I'll agree that it's not really a good RE game, it does have its merits. I'll say that it's at least a fairly fun co-op action game experience. But more importantly, the DLC content which puts you back in the Spencer Mansion - that brief expansion was way better than the game proper. I'd at least encourage folks to play that bit of 5.

Also, I'm in the camp that doesn't get the need of a RE4 remake. The original doesn't feel dated enough to need a remake, and given that it's already been ported to all the current gen consoles it just feels unnecessary. I really don't need any reason to buy that game again for the umpteenth time.

I don't even need a Code Veronica REMAKE - just port the damn thing to Switch, really. I'll be happy with that. Heck, I'd be more excited about an Operation Raccoon City port than another version of RE4 at this point haha. At least it would be something different.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Doctornick said:

Also 4-6 are garbage 😁

I thought 4 was universally considered one of the best RE games. I'm not sure about 5 and 6? Did anyone play through them and thoughts?

Sounds like noiseredux says 5 is decent, or at least the DLC.

Here is a list of best to worst. I've only played two RE games, so I'm in no position to judge.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/best-resident-evil-games-ranked/

#1 was RE4, last was RE6. No mention of Revelations. 

12 minutes ago, avatar! said:

I thought 4 was universally considered one of the best RE games. I'm not sure about 5 and 6? Did anyone play through them and thoughts?

Sounds like noiseredux says 5 is decent, or at least the DLC.

Here is a list of best to worst. I've only played two RE games, so I'm in no position to judge.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/best-resident-evil-games-ranked/

#1 was RE4, last was RE6. No mention of Revelations. 

A lot of people love RE4, and it's a decent game.  I don't consider it a good resident evil game though.  They got rid of the horror and made it an action game.  A lot of us old people like the entries from 0-3 and CV, and dislike the newer action titles.  

I did really enjoy RE7 but without the zombies it still doesn't feel like Resident Evil to me.  At least 7 brought back horror though!

• Like 2

re4 is always raved about, but honestly i just didnt enjoy it. Everything seems same color/drabness, never really pulled me in. 0, 1, 2, 3, and veronica were my favorite, have played almost every iteration/remake/whatnot. I never played far in 5, and 6 was super actiony and parts of the game felt more like a rail game then anything else, no choices just quicktime events inbetween cutscenes. Revelations 1&2 I enjoyed, and 7 i have and yet to play.

• Like 3

Wait, yeah - I'm not saying 5 is really decent. I'm saying that DLC is worth playing, though. 🙂

I like RE4. I do. I think it's a solid ACTION game with a horror vibe. But yeah, I definitely prefer the "old school" RE games, which I'd consider Code Veronica and the Revelations games to be part of the lineage of.

In my mind, there are 3 kinds of RE games: The horror ones (1, 2, 3, CV, etc); the action ones (4, 5, 6) and the oddball experiments (the lightgun games, Mercenaries, Umbrella Corps and so on). I guess I'd consider RE7 to be a horror one, but overlapped w/ oddball experiement given that it's in first person. (RE7 is aweseom, btw).

• Like 2

Editorials Team · Posted
21 hours ago, ICrappedMyPants said:

Can you tell me about the load times? I read back in 2019 that they were long and that the door animations and load times were out of sync. Thanks!

Doesn't really seem that bad to me.  I never played any other versions of the remake though, so I have nothing to compare to.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I really liked RE 1, 2 , 3, and CV but I was kinda turned off of 4 originally due to the dull graphics and the more action oriented gameplay. I actually played through 5 before 4 and it was forgettable. Not necessarily a bad game but just bland for RE standards and felt like more of a generic shooter at the time. I went back and played 4 but it didn't really stick like the first 3 and CV. I played Zero recently and felt it went the other way and was extremely tedious and had to grind to finish that one.

RE2 Remake was amazing. I just finished getting all S+ runs the other day and have more or less beat the game into the ground which doesn't happen very often for me with modern games. RE3 Remake was a fun demo but I didn't want to pay full price for it especially since I am/was still happy playing 2. I'll pick it up when it's cheaper... almost feels like it could have been DLC for RE2 Remake.

• Like 3

Finished RE3 took longer to finish than RE2.  It was fun, more action and less puzzles, but it was missing something.  It rehashed a lot from 2 without adding much new.  Worth a rent.

It was more of what you like, but less.

2 hours ago, fox said:

Finished RE3 took longer to finish than RE2.  It was fun, more action and less puzzles, but it was missing something.  It rehashed a lot from 2 without adding much new.  Worth a rent.

It was more of what you like, but less.

Interesting.  I REALLY want to try it cuz I LOOOOOOOOOOOVED what they did with RE2.  But someone said its not worth more than $20 so i'll keep that in mind and wait for the drop.  I ended up 100% RE2, including killing 100 zombies in that mini game without firing more than 60 pistol shots so I squeezed everything I could from it.  I dont care for the combat as much as I like the puzzles more though.

On 5/5/2020 at 11:19 PM, guitarzombie said:

Interesting.  I REALLY want to try it cuz I LOOOOOOOOOOOVED what they did with RE2.  But someone said its not worth more than $20 so i'll keep that in mind and wait for the drop.  I ended up 100% RE2, including killing 100 zombies in that mini game without firing more than 60 pistol shots so I squeezed everything I could from it.  I dont care for the combat as much as I like the puzzles more though.

Well there is less focus on puzzles than action.  Only real puzzles are the find the key/firehose/whatever to get to the next area.  There also isn't one big hub area like the mansion or police station, many of the areas are one and done.  It does cut out some of fat of RE2, having to run back and forth for gears or whatever got annoying.

I was super pumped finishing RE2make, and ready to run the B campaign with the other character.  Beating RE3make, I felt like I enjoyed the ride enough and was ready to get off.  Unless you are really into doing the higher difficulties, or speenrun the game (it might be better suited for that,) it might just be a one and done.

• 1 month later...
22 hours ago, acromite53 said:

Anyone have thoughts on Revelations 2?

Yes, it's awesome. I will say that I *THINK* I prefer the first Revelations, but if you like the first, you'll like the second. It's the same sort of throwback to the earlier gameplay; and it's episodic like the first Revelations.  The real hook in the second game is that you control two characters. This means that you'll either play it solo, and swap between characters (somewhat like RE0), or you can actually co-op it which is excellent. I played it both way - and it's a great game either way. Honestly, I may have only given the edge to the first game because I loved the boat setting so much.

• Thanks 1