IGNORED

Resident Evil the Thread

• 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...
Editorials Team · Posted

Okay, updated thoughts based on playthroughs the last few years:

Hmm.  Something along the lines of...

4 > 7 > 2 Remake > 2 > Remake > 5 > Revelations 2 > Zero > Code Veronica > 3 > 1 > Revelations

Never played 3, 6 or 7, the new remakes, 6, 8, 3 Remake, 4 Remake or the misc. spinoff games. 

People hate on 5, but I highly enjoyed it, especially co-op

4 > REmake > 2 > 3 > 0 ?> CV ?> 1

It's been a long time since I've played 0 and Code Veronica. Both have a lot of problems but I went with 0 over CV due to how much the latter likes to punish the player for no good reason if you're playing blind.

1 basically ended up at the end due to having no particularly cool mechanics or standout setpieces and being ridiculously dated in presentation and atmosphere but that might be a little unfair. It was the last of these I played (did the rest on Gamecube/Wii) and while it didn't come across as special compared to the better games, it still executed the formula competently and was at least largely not annoying - the latter of which I can't really say for 0 and CV. A replay of the latter two would probably not be kind to them.

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Andy_Bogomil said:

I'd like to go back and play RE 1. Recommendations against playing the original vs. the one they made for GC(?)... I think I own both.

Absolutely the remake! Doesn't matter if its GC or one of the newer ports though. 

I've only played Remake all the way, but I've looked a lot into the differences, and this is one of the few games where the remake actually feels like a better realization of what the original game wanted to do, rather than a modernization of it. It's completely old school, faithful even to the game's more odd and cumbersome aspects, and doubles down on the survival and resource management element that defines the game. 

I don't think I've met an RE fan anywhere that doesn't prefer the remake to the original. 

Only strike against it is that you don't get the famous Jill Sandwich line. 

Edited by Sumez
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Sumez said:

Only strike against it is that you don't get the famous Jill Sandwich line. 

RE 1 for the PS1 and other such games are just a treasure trove of horrible dialogue...

Also, I might be the only one, but I always thought the cinematics with the real actors was cool 🙃

Administrator · Posted
24 minutes ago, avatar! said:

RE 1 for the PS1 and other such games are just a treasure trove of horrible dialogue...

Also, I might be the only one, but I always thought the cinematics with the real actors was cool 🙃

I love games with real actors in cutscenes, that shit's my jam. 

• Like 1