IGNORED

Resident Evil the Thread

I couldn't find a thread dedicated to Resident Evil, so unless I missed it, here it is now!

I bring this up because the Resident Evil 3 remake was recently released. Apparently, it's underwhelming. Or maybe people's expectations were too high?

A lot of the reviews I've read seem to give it between 2.5-3 out of 5 stars. Firmly mediocre. Perhaps part of the problem is that it's so short, apparently 6 hours or so. Has anyone played it and what are your thoughts?

Not being a real fan of the series I picked up the RE2 remake and played it for awhile. It was really good, I think I ended up getting frustrated in the same way I always do with these games, running out of bullets. Can't speak on the RE3 remake, but based on the RE2 remake I thought it would have received better.

It's weird because I LOVE Resident Evil, but I've only ever played the first two games (and REmake 2).  I haven't played REmake 3 yet for a few reasons.  I never got around to playing the original RE3 when it was new despite the fact that I was heavily into the PS1 and I loved the first two games (I think I might have been burned out on the style of game).  Since I don't have the nostalgia for it, I didn't pre-order REmake 3 like I did with REmake 2.  

With all of that said, I still know enough about RE3 to know that it's simply a smaller and shorter game.  The original RE3 was developed in a short time and reuses a lot of the RE2 assets and locations since it takes place around the same time.  It also only has one mission to play through compared to the different character missions to choose from in the previous installments.  I'm not sure why people expected REmake 3 to be any different.  It's going to be a shorter game.  End of story.

I have full intentions of getting this game and playing it, but without the nostalgia for the original, I have no problem waiting until the price comes down.  I don't regret pre-ordering REmake 2 and playing it on launch day.  That was a great experience for me. RE1 and RE2 are among some of the best gaming memories from my high school years and even though I never got into the rest of the series, I will still always enjoy those games.   

Edited by TDIRunner

I'm a prettyyyy big fan of all things RE (thus my avatar). I don't have anything important to add here, but I'm glad this thread exists.

Regarding the brevity of RE3, in all reality I feel like Code Veronica is the "real" RE3 and RE3 is the sort of gaiden game. And I mean, that's kind of true development-wise.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, noiseredux said:

I'm a prettyyyy big fan of all things RE (thus my avatar). I don't have anything important to add here, but I'm glad this thread exists.

Regarding the brevity of RE3, in all reality I feel like Code Veronica is the "real" RE3 and RE3 is the sort of gaiden game. And I mean, that's kind of true development-wise.

When the first RE came out on playstation my good buddy got it and we would spend weekends playing it, it was just an incredible game.  I got hooked playing Code Veronica on Dreamcast and it remains one of my favorite games.

• Like 1

Code Veronica is really cool. I prob prefer it to RE3, really.

I'd also say to anyone interested in the old classic RE games that you should check out Revelations and Revelations 2. They're episodic games, but they feel like true sequels to the classic (pre-4) RE games as opposed to the later action oriented ones.

• Like 1

Big fan of RE1 and RE2 back in the day.  Series kind of jumped around after that in style and systems and with spin offs, so became hard to follow.

I really loved RE7 for having a unique spooky vibe and RE2make for juicing up a classic.  Playing thru RE3make now, it doesn’t hit the high bar set be RE2make, but neither did the original release of RE3 compared to RE2.  I’ll reserve final judgment till I finish it.

Played the first game to death on the original Playstation, and the second game quite a bit too. The third was one I tend to forget some things about because while I did enjoy it, not as much as the previous two and hardly played it, I remember beating it but don't recall how many times, once, twice, I dunno. Code Veronica X I never finished back when I had a PS2 for a short time, but will say I enjoyed it more than Nemesis and got halfway through, I think. I only briefly played part 4, didn't much like it, and the same with part 5 trying out the demo to that one. Played the very short demo of Revelations and wished it was a longer demo, but it was enough for me to go after Revelations 2 which I got on the 360 and loved. Some part of me wishes Revelations 2 had the usual free exploration that earlier RE games had, but I also don't mind the episodic format either and enjoyed the story and love the characters and the ease of getting into the action, and the game looks great, has some scary moments and the extras such as the two separately paid for and downloadable stories of the side characters were a nice change of pace, as well as the time attack challenge thing I forget exactly what it is called which focused on arenas and killing, surviving against many monsterous opponents. I sorta had interest in the remakes of 2 and 3 but after watching some of them on youtube, I somehow feel I may not enjoy them that much, hard to say. Remakes have a lot to live up to, sure they might look better and even be more player friendly on controls and camera and other stuff, but it also has to have that charm, that special quality that not only pulled in gamer much like the originals did but also have it last.

1-3 on Playstation and Code Veronica for the Dreamcast are all awesome games. I prefer the "director's cut" of the first game that let's you use the dual shock. I went back and played through RE2 a few months back for the first time in years, and it was as great as I remembered.

Even though RE4 is now considered to be this amazing game that everyone on the internet coos over nowadays, I've just always thought it was a slog to get through. I didn't care for the gameplay changes, and the game works better than Nyquil if I'm having a case of insomnia. 

As for all the new remakes of everything, that's nice I guess. I'm personally not into all of these remakes of old games that keep coming out by the buttloads year after year. Are developers just out of ideas today or something? I swear, it seems like every month or so, I hear about another remake. Last I heard it was FF7 and Panzer Dragoon. Why?

"It's the same game you already have, but the graphics are nicer now!!!"

Ok, cool. To each their own I suppose, but not my thing.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, guitarzombie said:

It looks beautiful.  I loved RE2RE, but never played 3.  Im tempted but I heard it was pretty short.  Is RE3 short or did they shorten the remake?

I mentioned above that it was shorter compared to the other RE games.  It had a much shorter development cycle which is why it uses some of the same assets and locations.  

I have played almost all the REs (couldn't finish 5 and haven't played 6 or 7) and I loved RE3.  I really like the pressure that Nemesis keeps on you.  Always hunting you down.  Sure it wasn't as long as part 2 but I still enjoyed it.  I love the RE Remake on GameCube. This graphics were best in class when it came out and the crimson head zombies were cool.

• Like 1

Big RE fan here. The only one I didn't like was RE6 which was a pretty popular opinion so I don't feel bad about it. RE2make was phenomenal. I haven't had the chance to play the RE3make but I have it on my shelf and will certainly get to it when I finish the FF7remake. RE4make is now a thing in development which...I don't get. The original still works and looks perfectly fine. Plus, how dare they skip over Code Veronica.

I've played RE1 on the GameCube - I think it was basically the same as the PS1 version only with better graphics and FAR FAR better voice acting "You were almost a Jill sandwhich!" not included 🙂 

RE2 remake, and I'm looking forward to playing RE3 remake when the price is down. And it will go down.

That said, for those that have played much of the RE series, which ones are considered good, which very good, and which great? I know it's a personal opinion, but I'd like to know what's worth playing! 

4 hours ago, profholt82 said:

As for all the new remakes of everything, that's nice I guess. I'm personally not into all of these remakes of old games that keep coming out by the buttloads year after year. Are developers just out of ideas today or something? I swear, it seems like every month or so, I hear about another remake. Last I heard it was FF7 and Panzer Dragoon. Why?

"It's the same game you already have, but the graphics are nicer now!!!"

Ok, cool. To each their own I suppose, but not my thing.

I hear you on the case of remakes. Just like movies it seems there are more remakes than original games these days. But I will say that in certainly cases they are warranted and welcome in my opinion. The FF7 remake is basically a new game that just follows the same basic story, and is amazing by the way. Same goes for the RE2 Remake which I felt was an absolute masterpiece. Crash Bandicoot and Spyro got trilogy remasters which stayed true to the originals but look amazing and I was very happy to have those. But then there are other games that have no need for a remake like Resident Evil 4 which Capcom has announced. No need for a remake of a game that modern. The HD port already works perfectly fine.

3 minutes ago, avatar! said:

That said, for those that have played much of the RE series, which ones are considered good, which very good, and which great? I know it's a personal opinion, but I'd like to know what's worth playing! 

In my opinion, 1 and 2 are the best and you can't go wrong with playing the original or the remake.  In both cases, I would recommend playing the original before playing the remakes.  

5 minutes ago, avatar! said:

I've played RE1 on the GameCube - I think it was basically the same as the PS1 version only with better graphics and FAR FAR better voice acting "You were almost a Jill sandwhich!" not included 🙂 

RE2 remake, and I'm looking forward to playing RE3 remake when the price is down. And it will go down.

Honestly every main game in the RE franchise is worth playing except RE6. Even some could argue that is worth playing as well but only 1/3 of the game even feels like RE at all, and even at its best it feels like a poor effort. If you're going to skip any I would say skip RE Zero which is good, but can be frustrating and is not quite as strong in the writing or scares department. And skip RE5 unless you really want an action game, because it's a good game but not a good RE. Almost all the elements that make an RE game what it is are left out of 5. Also check out Revelations and Revelations 2 which were pretty good but are side games to the main story.

Edited by AstralSoul64
  • Like 1