IGNORED

Luna Games E-Begging!!!

MisterGoomba

Not going to lie I do..... not the employees thou really the owner. If you run a business and you want to keep your employees you have to bare the burden and not ask others (not talking about government bailouts that’s why we pay taxes) but going to the general public is tacky at best. In full disclosure I own a business and still pay my people and find everything like heck for them to do at home lol. I have made money over the years from their hard work so I feel I have to do everything I can to keep them rolling but never at the expense of others.

• Like 3

All small businesses are suffering right now.

Even a “recession proof” business like mine is suffering. Our clients have cancelled almost all cleaning services and as a result we lost about 90-95% of all income.

We can probably bounce back because our customers are also recession proof businesses. But we will need supplemental income until then.

Last night I submitted my application for a PPP loan (part of that $2t stimulus) to get us by for the next two and a half months. I have no idea if I’ll get approved but I hope I do.

Through this ordeal I’ve been paying all my employees, vendors, and customers. But the coffers are running dry and I would hate to close up shop because of this virus—especially after my business JUST STARTED to turn a profit after 18 months and over $100k in investments. 

• Like 1

i know the people involved and nobody is living large while asking for help. it's a tough situation for everyone involved and they're doing what they can. if you're not in a position to contribute that's fine, but I don't think it's necessary to shame them.

• Like 3

Administrator · Posted

Yeah I mean, it's pretty harmless. Like it doesn't really hurt anyone at all that they'd use this service for this purpose. I've kinda pivoted on my thoughts on this having thought it over. My earlier thinking was that there's other options out there that would be better suited to it. But yeah, it's pretty harmless in the grand scheme.

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
2 hours ago, ThePhleo said:

All small businesses are suffering right now.

Even a “recession proof” business like mine is suffering. Our clients have cancelled almost all cleaning services and as a result we lost about 90-95% of all income.

Yes, but can you offer sterilization/sanitizing/deep cleaning services?   You could instantly be back in the saddle again.

This is the content VGS was built for right here.......

They can do what they want.

Still dislike them greatly. I mean they get some donations and some crumbs to live on, then luna ends up having to close anyway. They should already be trying to think of a different type of income. Online comes to mind. Start pumping your stock out online and getting your employees to do some work and split the income that way. Picturing and posting from home in bulk takes time and is worth paying for, and this way you can make some money for your employees. If you put some good products out there for slightly less than retail it will be gobbled up. People are spending  online right now. Had a lull week 3 weeks ago for a few days in the beginning,  then it started booming again on the bay. Especially with stimulus checks on the way. This way is just embarrassing, and tacky.

You have the perfect inventory to sell online. This sounds like "hey I dont want to have to change anything I do and work, can you pay my employees for me so I dont lose them and their equity of knowledge ?" This doesnt affect others, but it certainly affects the image of your business. Not working hard to figure something out, just resorting to begging. Its flat out embarrassing.

Edited by Quest4Nes

1 hour ago, captmorgandrinker said:

Yes, but can you offer sterilization/sanitizing/deep cleaning services?   You could instantly be back in the saddle again.

You know, come to think of it. I absolutely can. I have the proper paperwork and my company is technically a janitorial service.

The only problem is that all of my marketing, sales pitches, and even my business name is super specific to my niche and may even seem grotesque to someone out of the loop of the industry term my company is named after.

I think I’ll focus this week on getting a dba established and try to put together a simple website for marketing. Especially so if this PPP thing doesn’t work out.

Even though my niche is hazardous waste (lead), I’m willing to drop my prices to non-hazardous rates.

The BIGGEST hurdle right now is PPE. Those tyvek suits are nearly worth their weight in literal gold right now. But maybe no hazardous work won’t require the coveralls...gotta read into it a bit.

Edited by ThePhleo
  • Like 1

I don't make it in there very often because there is another store I prefer in SD, but they were always friendly and knowledgeable and they helped me get into retro collecting.

Retrogames are a tough business, but honestly I feel like something might be wrong with their model because there is another store in town that was able to expand to three locations and has something worth buying almost every other trip where I have to really strain to find something worth buying at Luna. 

All that being said, I don't care if they ask for help, that is their decision. They are nice people, they love gaming, and they have been around for a long time.

And ideologically, we should be supporting our small businesses, the government has no problem pouring money into big corporations with no strings attached, but they are putting strings for small businesses and don't even have an efficient way of giving money to the small businesses that need it.

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
2 hours ago, ThePhleo said:

You know, come to think of it. I absolutely can. I have the proper paperwork and my company is technically a janitorial service.

The only problem is that all of my marketing, sales pitches, and even my business name is super specific to my niche and may even seem grotesque to someone out of the loop of the industry term my company is named after.

I think I’ll focus this week on getting a dba established and try to put together a simple website for marketing. Especially so if this PPP thing doesn’t work out.

Even though my niche is hazardous waste (lead), I’m willing to drop my prices to non-hazardous rates.

The BIGGEST hurdle right now is PPE. Those tyvek suits are nearly worth their weight in literal gold right now. But maybe no hazardous work won’t require the coveralls...gotta read into it a bit.

Maybe pick up something PPE that's more clunky than a Tyvek suit?   But if you're just doing cube sanitizing in offices I wouldn't think you'd need much beyond gloves.

Even though everybody is penny pinching at the moment they'll gladly put out for sanitizing services before their workforce comes back.

Administrator · Posted

As far as the original topic, I'm in the "just move along if you don't care for it" crowd.   Yeah, they could start selling stuff online, and maybe they are already and this is supplementing that effort?  

Also, Wii stuff is on absolute fire right now.   I'm getting Christmas prices on ebay (which comes in handy with Midwest being cancelled).

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, captmorgandrinker said:

As far as the original topic, I'm in the "just move along if you don't care for it" crowd.   Yeah, they could start selling stuff online, and maybe they are already and this is supplementing that effort?  

Also, Wii stuff is on absolute fire right now.   I'm getting Christmas prices on ebay (which comes in handy with Midwest being cancelled).

Im guessing not since this statement was in the description on go fund me. I take this as they arent even trying. Taking existing inventory online is a pretty regular way to get income for a vintage game store.

"Without any sales coming in and without access to purchasing from the general public at this time we have no regular way to get income."

Edited by Quest4Nes

I guess I'll look like the spiteful jerk here, but NO, just no.  That's shameful someone set that up.  Basically what Mr CiB said, says a lot about that being setup really.  Between poor business practices if they can't help out coupled with all the government free cash being thrown around this just seems like taking advantage and it's wrong.  Like Goomba also put it, cucking the base using their notoriety online due to Pat and the rest which is sleazy.

I remember from my time living out there the store had some pretty solid stock and had turn ins both in person and otherwise.  I see no reason why that place can not continue as a strictly online affair as they have their inventory computerized as of a decade ago when I was last around that place with some semi-regularity.  If they don't care to setup their own domain, fine, make an ebay store, ebay has waived ALL fees and store costs for the forseeable future due to the virus to help keep their profits going too.  Pay the employees to box up the games and ship that stuff out, they can either work out of the store front that's closed up, or work from home and have the owner in his own shop box that stuff up and have the USPS come by or take it himself in.  That's not much of a stretch but it would be an effort, and I guess shameless panhandling is easier to exploit.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ThePhleo said:

But the coffers are running dry and I would hate to close up shop because of this virus—especially after my business JUST STARTED to turn a profit after 18 months and over $100k in investments. 

hang-in-there-baby-vapourware-posters.jp
Hope things work out for you Phelo

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tanooki said:

I guess I'll look like the spiteful jerk here, but NO, just no.  That's shameful someone set that up.  Basically what Mr CiB said, says a lot about that being setup really.  Between poor business practices if they can't help out coupled with all the government free cash being thrown around this just seems like taking advantage and it's wrong.  Like Goomba also put it, cucking the base using their notoriety online due to Pat and the rest which is sleazy.

I remember from my time living out there the store had some pretty solid stock and had turn ins both in person and otherwise.  I see no reason why that place can not continue as a strictly online affair as they have their inventory computerized as of a decade ago when I was last around that place with some semi-regularity.  If they don't care to setup their own domain, fine, make an ebay store, ebay has waived ALL fees and store costs for the forseeable future due to the virus to help keep their profits going too.  Pay the employees to box up the games and ship that stuff out, they can either work out of the store front that's closed up, or work from home and have the owner in his own shop box that stuff up and have the USPS come by or take it himself in.  That's not much of a stretch but it would be an effort, and I guess shameless panhandling is easier to exploit.

Ebay has definitely not waived fees or store costs lol. Paid a nice grand to them a few days ago. Ebay has offered to furlough store subscription cost for like 30 days or whatever. Which means a big bill in another month. I just paid mine normally. Sales died for like 3-4 days then a big boom back to normal.