IGNORED

Recommend New Hobbies for $100

Aguy

If someone wanted to get into one of your hobbies and had $100 to spend, where would you recommend they start?

If it were game collecting, I don't think you can do much better than a used DS Lite ($30) and $70 of GBA and DS games to start a collection. There are tons of great cheap games to get started and thecoverproject can help you make some nice cases for your loose GBA games that fit right in with the DS. If console gaming was preferred, PS2/360 can go pretty far on $100. For something more retro, a used Genesis is around $30 with the games still being towards the inexpensive end. And farther still, $100 can get you an Atari 2600 with 20+ games and an rf adapter.

If it were rock collecting, you can get a good tumbler from Harbor Freight for $40, a decent supply of grit and tumbling beads for $30, and 3-4 lbs of rough stones/minerals to polish for another $30. That being said, there's an endless amount of rocks all around.

If it were mixology/bartending, you can get a cheap $15 mixing set off Amazon and spend the rest on liquor. 750mL of each Evan Williams Black bourbon ($10), Tanqueray ($20), Tito's vodka ($15), Bacardi Superior or Cpt. Morgan White ($12), M&R dry vermouth ($8), aromatic bitters ($10-12), and various mixers (juice, citrus, tonic, soda, etc...) with the rest. Drinking isn't really one of my hobbies, but I still enjoy making them for friends and family.

Edited by Aguy

I'd say get into DS games.  There's so many and because the market is flooded with shovelware, even good titles can be cheap.  But repros can be a problem, so maybe not...

The PS2 has a killer line up.  I don't believe those games are counterfeited.  $100 could go a long way on the PS2 lineup.  I've never owned a PS3, but there's a chance that one might even be a better choice.  I couldn't say where to start and what games are worth getting, though.

I'm probably leaning towards PS2 as well since you can get a working console with controllers for about $20, and it will play the entire PS1 and PS2 library which is a huge list of titles with many good games still reasonably priced.  

PS3 or 360 have super cheap games right now, but you will still blow about half the budget on getting a good quality working console with controllers.  

Administrator · Posted

If they can stand handheld, I would definitely suggest the DS Lite route.   Lots of good SNES games were ported to the GBA.

Other than that I would recommend a PS3.  While lots of your budget would go to the console, there's plenty of game deals to be had at Gamestop when they do their 4/$10.  

In games i would say a PS2 and a fully loaded HDD. You can essentially play the entire library that way and it's cheap and easy, and not emulation, although you have the whole piracy issue. But even so most of the best games are dirt cheap anyway. 

Other hobbies, i would say get yourself about $25 in Sculpey tools, and use the rest for 6-8 lbs of Super Sculpey. 

25 minutes ago, Abelardo said:

Build your own Ugly Drum Smoker for about $100:
https://www.instructables.com/id/Build-Your-Own-Ugly-Drum-Smoker-UDS/

Hey, if you wait long enough they may pay you $.50-1.00 to take that barrel.  Of course, you'll have to figure out what to do with the oil inside, but at least it's a cheap barrel!

Edited by RH
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Magus said:

In games i would say a PS2 and a fully loaded HDD. You can essentially play the entire library that way and it's cheap and easy, and not emulation, although you have the whole piracy issue. But even so most of the best games are dirt cheap anyway. 

Other hobbies, i would say get yourself about $25 in Sculpey tools, and use the rest for 6-8 lbs of Super Sculpey. 

Have you done any new sculptures lately? I haven't seen any since the ones you posted on NA.

3 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

If they really want their money to go far, they could collect basketball cards from the 90s.  I think $100 would get you just about every basketball card produce during that period of time, with enough money left over to go to dinner.  

Haha, $100 wouldn't get you through 1992-93.

10 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

Obviously I'm exaggerating, but everything I own from when I was a kid is worth less than nothing.  It would actually cost me money to get rid of it.  

That's more true than you realized.  I loved cards in the 80s and 90s and it seems that if you want any of that stuff to have value today, you have to find the rookies that went on to make names for themselves, get them graded and hoped they grade north of 9.8. No thank you.

Edited by RH

That's about the price to order online the "Holy Trilogy" of books for D&D 5e (Player's Handbook, Monster Manual & Dungeon Master's Guide) and some Dice... though I would probably more recommend Just the PHB, DMG, and either the Essential's Kit and/or Starter Set, as those come with pre-made adventures and all the fixins you need to run them with some friends... even then you can just buy either the Starter Set or Essentials Kit for ~$20 and you have everything you need right there!

The moral of the story is; you should play D&D

Edited by SpoonMan Abrams X
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, SpoonMan Abrams X said:

That's about the price to order online the "Holy Trilogy" of books for D&D 5e (Player's Handbook, Monster Manual & Dungeon Master's Guide) and some Dice... though I would probably more recommend Just the PHB, DMG, and either the Essential's Kit and/or Starter Set, as those come with pre-made adventures and all the fixins you need to run them with some friends... even then you can just buy either the Starter Set or Essentials Kit for ~$20 and you have everything you need right there!

The moral of the story is; you should play D&D

spacer.png

😛

• Haha 1

On 4/2/2020 at 9:20 AM, TDIRunner said:

If they really want their money to go far, they could collect basketball cards from the 90s.  I think $100 would get you just about every basketball card produce during that period of time, with enough money left over to go to dinner.  

Don't I wish...  One of my trading car projects is to try to collect all the insert sets from the early/mid 90s in baseball/football/basketball.  Well that is when I started collecting and it was right in the middle of insertmania (not to be confused with Wrestlemania or Hulkmania) so...

On 4/2/2020 at 1:42 PM, RH said:

That's more true than you realized.  I loved cards in the 80s and 90s and it seems that if you want any of that stuff to have value today, you have to find the rookies that went on to make names for themselves, get them graded and hoped they grade north of 9.8. No thank you.

I've always done set collecting since my college days.  And yes some of those sets (even iconic ones like 1984 Donruss, 1989 Upper Deck) are surprisingly affordable today (you got internet/Ebay to thank for that).  Baseball Card Exchange (www.bbcexchange.com) is probably the best place to get some factory sets and wax boxes and whatnot.

Edited by Estil

On 4/3/2020 at 7:23 PM, portabello said:

Buy a used guitar at a pawn shop. End of thread.

You really did end this thread. I wish I had time to pick up the guitar during this shutdown, but between University and having to homeschool my children now, I bearly have time  for games.

Another hobby I have is pretty much not necessarily about collecting but it’s fun, and it’s pretty inexpensive to get into these days....ham radio.  You also learn some fun theory along the way to getting licensed.  I’ve talked with folks on all continents with only 25 watts of power..pretty cool!

If you are feeling creative, get into writing. Literally costs $0 assuming you have a working computer.

Or alternatively get into art. Just need some paper, pencils, paint, pastels or whatever medium you want, and an imagination. $100 could get you through a year of supplies unless you're buying high end stuff.

• Like 1

I agree with some form of art. Drawing, writing, musical instrument, etc. all could be had for under $100 and could last you indefinitely. I played guitar for 4 or 5 years on an electric that probably was around $150 new (present) and was able to get a cheap amp for free from my buddy. I bet if you looked around or just asked you'd be able to get an acoustic for free or close to it.

For collecting, assuming someone had access to a computer, I would mod a Wii. It'd be something to learn, pretty cheap and easy, and you'd have a massive library of older games for 'free'.

• Like 1