IGNORED

What's for dinner, what did you cook?

fcgamer

6 hours ago, drxandy said:

@aguy yummmm those gardin nashville hot chix boizzz are super goood no games very spicy

I had some Nashville hot chicken in Nashville, TN...

Im usually open minded about what I eat, but I honestly felt bad for the chicken that had to die for the thing I took a single bite out of and spit out.

Zero flavor, all cayenne and lard. Mother of Jesus, the people of Tennessee just haven’t heard of a thing called flavor. Zero contrast in that dish...add some tang, some sweet, or even some zest to it.

My stomach is still angry and it’s been two weeks since I had it. The worst part is the chicken itself was legitimately amazing, but everything else about it was just so...lacking.

If food isn’t good then you’re just exchanging good money for bad calories...and I want my money back.

Nashville Hot Chicken: -1 out of 10

My experience was so poor that I’m willing to try again because there’s no way that a dish as famous as that can taste that bad.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, ThePhleo said:

I had some Nashville hot chicken in Nashville, TN...

Im usually open minded about what I eat, but I honestly felt bad for the chicken that had to die for the thing I took a single bite out of and spit out.

Zero flavor, all cayenne and lard. Mother of Jesus, the people of Tennessee just haven’t heard of a thing called flavor. Zero contrast in that dish...add some tang, some sweet, or even some zest to it.

My stomach is still angry and it’s been two weeks since I had it. The worst part is the chicken itself was legitimately amazing, but everything else about it was just so...lacking.

If food isn’t good then you’re just exchanging good money for bad calories...and I want my money back.

Nashville Hot Chicken: -1 out of 10

My experience was so poor that I’m willing to try again because there’s no way that a dish as famous as that can taste that bad.

Well the good thing here is no chickens were harmed in the making of these. 😉

Edited by Aguy

24 minutes ago, drxandy said:

@ThePhleo this product isn't as spicy as that but dang that sucks it got ruined for you like that, I heard the real deal stuff was heckin' hot but one day maybe I'll get a chance to try.. haven't been to nashville since the early 2000s

The thing is, I love spicy food...my earliest food memories involve spicy foods.

but when it comes to Nashville hot chicken, where’s the flavor? It just tastes like deep fried cayenne pepper. The only way to make it more “monotone” is to deep fry salt or water.

Come to think of it, I remember the exact words I used at the time to describe the flavor.

”It taste like the smell of ramen noodle flavor packet”

• Like 1

Not for dinner but I’ll hopefully be using it with dinner. Making some hot sauce today. I spend so much money on hot sauces(and I probably still will) I thought I’d give making my own a try.  I’ve got a whole lotta nothing going on today for once, so I’m gonna post my sauce making progress in this thread.😁 Hope this inspires someone to get in that kitchen and make something. 

A97FE7F1-2CC4-46C4-8F28-1048A2F4B5BE.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Wow! 1

Final result. It’s pretty damn good. It’s got a decent heat and flavor. I can’t wait so see how this holds up in the refrigerator. I also decided that after straining what came out of the blender, I’d throw the leftover stuff in the dehydrator to maybe make a spice. We will see what happens.😁

3D48F584-824E-4C36-8A04-8F2FA147A539.jpeg

A92BA9CC-F116-45F8-AE17-C088AC11193E.jpeg

7CA7B20A-D40D-46BA-81EB-353B441B88FE.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Wow! 2

I make my own wing sauce which gets rave reviews from my wife and son and they rather picky on those things.  The problem is, some of the ingredience come from Aldi (specifically their Jalapeno paste) and it's a critical part of the flavor.  I can't get it right without it.  Anyway, I might need to find a way to replicate their flavor so I can stop having to seasonally wait for their tubes of Jalapeno and Carolina Reaper pastes.  These posts inspire me.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, RH said:

I make my own wing sauce which gets rave reviews from my wife and son and they rather picky on those things.  The problem is, some of the ingredience come from Aldi (specifically their Jalapeno paste) and it's a critical part of the flavor.  I can't get it right without it.  Anyway, I might need to find a way to replicate their flavor so I can stop having to seasonally wait for their tubes of Jalapeno and Carolina Reaper pastes.  These posts inspire me.

I try and make everything I like. I started making my own hummus and salsa about 2 years ago. I haven’t bought either of those things since.  I’ll probably still buy new hot sauces from time to time, but this turned out really well, so I’ll mostly use this going forward. 
I am looking forward to you making your own sauces😁

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Richardhead said:

I try and make everything I like. I started making my own hummus and salsa about 2 years ago. I haven’t bought either of those things since.  I’ll probably still buy new hot sauces from time to time, but this turned out really well, so I’ll mostly use this going forward. 

Haha, well, I have the bug but to be honest, it is "derivative".  My current sauce starts with a solid base of Texas Pete.  I like it but to me it's a basic ingredient where you have to add more to it to both increase the heat, and match the proper flavor with what you're putting it on.

That said, the main ingredients I need to make on my own are the same basic, vinegar/pepper type of Texas Pete-like hot sauce, and then the jalapeno paste.  If I wanted to get really, really creative I could make my own mustard but I don't have to go that far. Hahaha.

• Wow! 1

4 minutes ago, RH said:

Haha, well, I have the bug but to be honest, it is "derivative".  My current sauce starts with a solid base of Texas Pete.  I like it but to me it's a basic ingredient where you have to add more to it to both increase the heat, and match the proper flavor with what you're putting it on.

That said, the main ingredients I need to make on my own are the same basic, vinegar/pepper type of Texas Pete-like hot sauce, and then the jalapeno paste.  If I wanted to get really, really creative I could make my own mustard but I don't have to go that far. Hahaha.

Making my own mustard next week because of you... 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Richardhead said:

Not for dinner but I’ll hopefully be using it with dinner. Making some hot sauce today. I spend so much money on hot sauces(and I probably still will) I thought I’d give making my own a try.  I’ve got a whole lotta nothing going on today for once, so I’m gonna post my sauce making progress in this thread.😁 Hope this inspires someone to get in that kitchen and make something. 

A97FE7F1-2CC4-46C4-8F28-1048A2F4B5BE.jpeg

Oh sweet, I'm going to have to put this on my short list for projects 🙂

8 hours ago, Richardhead said:

I started doing this, this year actually, though it started out due to necessity, then it became a hobby for me.

In Taiwan, some items can be hard to find, or perhaps even totally unavailable, such as taco sauce, Cajun seasoning, with the list going on. Then some of the stuff you can find is quite pricey, which ultimately led me on a quest to just start making everything from scratch, and the food I've been has tasted better than ever as a result.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fcgamer said:

Would anyone here be willing to try Bosintang?

Here's part of a recipe.

IMG_20201118_091123.jpg

I feel like the weirdest part of this recipe is actually the 500g of gravy. Gravy isn't an ingredient. And gravy is the only wet thing it asks for? This isn't a soup, it's a stew. And the dog meat is already boiled? I call shenanigans on this recipe. Get me the bosintang recipe from North Korea's Test Kitchen and then I'll give it a try.