IGNORED

Ranks & Badges Discussion Thread

Gloves

2 hours ago, Vectrex28 said:

Bring back the game series awards... And the Homebrewer award so I can have some bling myself hehehe

There was a homebrewer award? I want a piece of that cake!

applyBauble: 
LDX #$01
LDA Bauble
STA Users, x
INX
STA Users, x
RTS 

Users: 
	.db Gloves,TylerBarnes,Vectrex28

Edited by TylerBarnes

7 hours ago, TylerBarnes said:

There was a homebrewer award? I want a piece of that cake!

applyBauble: 
LDX #$01
LDA Bauble
STA Users, x
INX
STA Users, x
RTS 

Users: 
	.db Gloves,TylerBarnes,Vectrex28

This piece of code would only give it to you and me, you have to LDX #$00 and add another STA Users,x INX for it to work on Gloves. Also Users should be RAM variables.

Administrator · Posted

One thing we CAN do right now is to give out a Bauble based on "Days Registered", if that's something you all would be interested in. In essence it'd do almost the same thing. We could have a new one awarded to you for every year you've been a member, and over time the oldest members would have the highest number award. This would happen automatically, AND would be something that everyone can benefit from. It'd still get across that "I was there at the beginning" feel, just would take a little longer to come into effect.

• Like 2

Administrator · Posted
Just now, TDIRunner said:

Any plans to add an award for "days won?"

It's not something that the current system can handle, so no.

That said, there's some big mystery update coming to the awards system that I'm keeping an eye on, hopefully it adds more features. 

Disclaimer for any who are not generally aware: The site awards are a plugin on the community software. Honestly I don't do a whole lot of coding on the site, mostly moving stuff around and implementing plugins. I went with this specific forum software to make it so that if I ever decide to dip out, the community isn't fucked cuz I was the only one who knew how it worked. As it stands I'm the expert with regard to how the site works, and I do most of the work on it, but I'm not Dain - even if I leave the staff will still be equipped to improve the site as they see fit.

This DOES mean that our hands are sooooomewhat tied on a few things, but honestly I think you'll find it's mostly little things like this specific site awards thing where it's more a nice to have, rather than like "God I wish the site was actually secure". 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Gloves said:

It's not something that the current system can handle, so no.

That said, there's some big mystery update coming to the awards system that I'm keeping an eye on, hopefully it adds more features. 

Disclaimer for any who are not generally aware: The site awards are a plugin on the community software. Honestly I don't do a whole lot of coding on the site, mostly moving stuff around and implementing plugins. I went with this specific forum software to make it so that if I ever decide to dip out, the community isn't fucked cuz I was the only one who knew how it worked. As it stands I'm the expert with regard to how the site works, and I do most of the work on it, but I'm not Dain - even if I leave the staff will still be equipped to improve the site as they see fit.

This DOES mean that our hands are sooooomewhat tied on a few things, but honestly I think you'll find it's mostly little things like this specific site awards thing where it's more a nice to have, rather than like "God I wish the site was actually secure". 

As a developer by trade, choosing to go with off-the-shelf tools is a tough call when you know you could do "so much better" for your  current needs but often, such in cases like this site, that is the best choice.  Thanks for doing that.  Hopefully admins after you will have the same reservation.

I also like the idea of the time-based awards.  Reminds me of everyone who was so proud to have a sub 10k UID on Slashdot.

Just a few ideas I think would be pretty neat! 

- Bringing back full set awards for game series (Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Metroid, etc.) 

- Participant awards for anyone who contributed to a "Can VGS beat every X game 20xx" thread on a year where we actually complete every game. Similarly, an award for the leader in points/games completed would be cool. 

- An award for anyone who wins a game of forum Werewolf, or maybe an award for anyone who successfully GMs a game. 

- Bringing back awards for owners of super rare games such as Garage Cart, a full 8-Bit X-Mas set, or Stadium Events.

2 hours ago, Gloves said:

. I went with this specific forum software to make it so that if I ever decide to dip out, the community isn't fucked cuz I was the only one who knew how it worked.

Should that day ever come, 😢 I just want you to promise me one thing... 

Make a Sega reference before you do.

• Haha 2