IGNORED

Music Debate 44: Gojira (and pick next week's artist)

Reed Rothchild

Rate 'em  

21 members have voted

1. 1. See score explanations down below

Editorials Team · Posted

Image result for gojira band

Master thread with standings

Ratings key: 
10 - One of your very favorite artists of all time.
9 - Killer fucking band.  Or artist.
8 - Great sound, great songs, great albums.
7 - Very good, but not quite great.
6 - Pretty good.  More than a few songs you like.  You'd entertain the thought of seeing them live if they were in the area.  Or still alive.
5 - They're okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to listen to.
4 - Meh.  There may be a song or two, or an album that you dig, but you'd rather listen to other stuff.
3 - Not very good.  You will more likely than not turn the station if they come on the radio.
2 - Not your cup of tea at all.  Some people like this, but you are not one of them.
1 - Horrible in every way.
0 - In the running for worst artist/musician of all time.  You would rather take a cheese grater to your face than listen to this.

1 hour ago, themisfit138 said:

2/10 I tried but it just does nothing for me. When I saw them live it was exactly like Machine Head. The only thing you could hear was pounding bass drums and guitar sizzle. No discernible notes to be heard. 

This is definitely a problem with live music, mostly with metal.  This is why a lot of shitty bands can get away with being very sloppy live, or using backing tracks.  I wish there was a way around this but its they way the sound is mixed and the room.  I realized that I do not enjoy MOST music live because of this.  I go cuz of the experience.  

8 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

I'm not sure I can do Killswitch or Ensiferum back-to-back with another "harsh" metal band lol

...also how does one like Ensiferum and hate Gojira.  That's gotta be 3-4 spread, max 😅

Haha yeah I understand, gotta do variety. That's just my most favorite band in the world. Alright, let's do Smashing Pumpkins like another posted said.

..or maybe scare some people and go even deeper with Infant Annihilator. xD

Edited by Skorp

Editorials Team · Posted
6 minutes ago, guitarzombie said:

This is definitely a problem with live music, mostly with metal.  This is why a lot of shitty bands can get away with being very sloppy live, or using backing tracks.  I wish there was a way around this but its they way the sound is mixed and the room.  I realized that I do not enjoy MOST music live because of this.  I go cuz of the experience.  

Incidentally, I thought Machine Head was insanely sharp and clear sounding when I saw them.

The venue and where you're standing are big wild cards for the mix too

14 minutes ago, guitarzombie said:

Does depend a lot on equipment and having the experience or knowledge to balance it all out. I've seen Killswitch Engage live many times (Jesse frontman) and they sound like their album to the point as well as with Parkway Drive. Just clear all the way. One band that had trouble balancing it all out was Make Them Suffer. I could not hear the keyboard and the girl backup singer at all live. The drums were too loud over it all and it was just mostly noise.

14 minutes ago, guitarzombie said:

Edited by Skorp

21 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Incidentally, I thought Machine Head was insanely sharp and clear sounding when I saw them.

The venue and where you're standing are big wild cards for the mix too

Yeah thats a good point.  Im not a huge metal head but I love a few metal bands heavily.  The best sounding ones ive seen have been Meshuggah.  Most of the worst ones were overly technical death metal bands.  A lot of the crummy sound has to do with drum sampled kicks and snares being too loud or the low bass being too much to muddy up the mix.  Also I cant remember where i've heard this, but i've also heard that sometimes the opening bands aren't mixed as well, even if you're using the headliners gear, just to make the headliner that much better.

Editorials Team · Posted
48 minutes ago, guitarzombie said:

Yeah thats a good point.  Im not a huge metal head but I love a few metal bands heavily.  The best sounding ones ive seen have been Meshuggah.  Most of the worst ones were overly technical death metal bands.  A lot of the crummy sound has to do with drum sampled kicks and snares being too loud or the low bass being too much to muddy up the mix.  Also I cant remember where i've heard this, but i've also heard that sometimes the opening bands aren't mixed as well, even if you're using the headliners gear, just to make the headliner that much better.

Yeah, depends heavily on the venue imo.  I saw Meshuggah with Cynic a decade ago and both were perfect.  Then I saw Cynic later that year in a different venue, and it was one of the worst shows I've ever seen: every single acts' songs were unintelligible

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Yeah, depends heavily on the venue imo.  I saw Meshuggah with Cynic a decade ago and both were perfect.  Then I saw Cynic later that year in a different venue, and it was one of the worst shows I've ever seen: every single acts' songs were unintelligible

I saw that Meshuggah / Cynic tour too!  In NYC.  BTW we're you the Holdsworth fan?  I can't remember