IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2020 - 677/677 (All Clear!)

scaryice

I think I beat Athena? Is this really it? Sorry about the bad pic, I thought I snapped a good one but I had my iphone in one of its weird live modes.

This is in the "never play again" pile. I spent between 30-40 hours on this with zero enjoyment.

All right, that's it for me this year.  I'm going to work on beating all the NES and SNES RPGS now.

athena.jpg.c1ffdf5ebf395af717c0f50fb3633f4f.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Daniel_Doyce said:

This is in the "never play again" pile. I spent between 30-40 hours on this with zero enjoyment.

Thank you for your sacrifice. I tried playing it a little, and I couldn't stand it. I mean, I beat Ikari Warriors this year, and that is pleasant and fun compared to Athena. The hit detection, the jumping mechanics... I dunno what to say, it's just all bad. We didn't even get the cassette tape the Famicom version came with, which is the one redeeming thing about it:

Edited by scaryice
  • Like 1

I wonder how a game as cruel as Athena could only award 4 points. This seems like a mean joke.

Anyway, I finally managed to finish another game: Metal Mech. I honestly don't have any strong feelings about this game. I guess it just kind of exists. Like typical of Jaleco games it's rather unremarkable and unpolished. The final level is especially weird since it changes up the whole formula of the game and has you flying through an extremely huge alien spacecraft with a jet pack, so the controls take some time getting used to it. Moreover, there are plenty of enemies that can kill you with one hit, all while evading countless turrets and finding your way through a huge maze. Not fun. At least the final boss was rather easy once you've figured him out. Still, it's not a game that I would ever want to replay voluntarily. Even King's Knight is more fun, imho.

Metal Mech.jpg

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

I wonder how a game as cruel as Athena could only award 4 points. This seems like a mean joke.

Anyway, I finally managed to finish another game: Metal Mech.

I was mentally preparing myself to do Metal Mech again, so I'm happy to see this post. Athena will be worth 6 points next year, at least. It was the only game out of the last 23 to be beaten in every previous year, mostly due to Bea Iank beating it 5/8 years.

I have to say, it seems like an easier final nine games than I would've expected. There's a couple of slogs in Bases Loaded & Mario Andretti, but not much that seems incredibly hard or anything. Which one will join L'Empereur (2012), Mutant Virus (2015), and To the Earth (2016) as our next final game?

Edited by scaryice
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

At least peace has again come to the world. Did you get the best ending?

Nope, 1st end/saving of the King only.  Plotting and executing that course was challenging enough for the time being.  Fun game though, I'll def. be hunting down the crystal balls and Secret Coins for best ending at some point...

• Like 1

Finally had a day off and my family also happened to leave me home alone for a couple hours so I was able to have an uninterrupted session of Sky Kid for the first time in a while. Had a couple decent runs and then had a run where I hit most of the extra points I was going for and got to level 18 before my first death. Stage 20+ is no joke, so it was nice to come in with a couple extra lives. Very thankful stage 24 is a bonus and 26 is one of the easier levels in the game. I feel like I do about this one like Bump n Jump. Yeah they are pretty dang challenging, but they are also solid, fair and fun to play. 

50234869787_dc505f575d_b.jpg

• Like 5

16 hours ago, Crabmaster2000 said:

Also the rest of the games that need to be beaten I've already done for my personal list so that's it for me this year. If it's december and those power pad games are still unbeaten I can take them out, but otherwise good luck guys I'll be rooting for you all!

I don't have a Power Pad or I would take them. I tried Andretti racing and couldn't get anywhere with it. I haven't even played any of the other games that are left.

I've been working on Destination Earthstar.  Any lack of memory or precision in the later levels gets intensely punished.  Try to imagine getting shot - and just when you've got ahold of yourself again from the shock and you're breathing again; 5 more bullies pop out of nowhere and take turns sticking their fingers in the bullet hole...  but I think I'm getting close...

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/1/2020 at 2:21 PM, Bearcat-Doug said:

Is anybody working on anything right now? 

I had to take a little break from destination earthstar in the name of both sanity and bodily integrity, but I do intend to finish it, hopefully soon...

41 minutes ago, ThePhleo said:

I think I want to do this with y’all next year.

Ate there any unwritten rules like “Don’t hog all the good games” or “don’t take so-and-so’s game because they play it every year on such-and-such occasion”.

Let me be the first say "Welcome Aboard!"  I don't believe that there are any such unwritten rules, but I'm guessing whoever is the least drunk after the ball drop at 00.00 Jan. 1st has the best crack at getting to whatever it is they'd most like to play...

On 9/1/2020 at 2:21 PM, Bearcat-Doug said:

Is anybody working on anything right now? 

Not related to the goal, but still NES related: I've been playing Mouryou Senki Madara, another Konami Famicom-only rpg. I think I'm over halfway through it right now. Still not sure if it's better or worse than Lagrange point, which I beat earlier this year. Both games have great music, but a number of flaws with the gameplay.

On 9/2/2020 at 9:49 PM, ThePhleo said:

I think I want to do this with y’all next year.

Ate there any unwritten rules like “Don’t hog all the good games” or “don’t take so-and-so’s game because they play it every year on such-and-such occasion”.

Still a few games left this year! No one''s claimed Solomon's Key AFAIK.

Just wanted to share a big milestone with you guys. Tonight I beat Might & Magic: Secret of the Inner Sanctum which was the 600th licensed NES games I've beaten to date. Very pumped on this. Got a lot of motivation and help from here and Nintendoage over the years so also thanks to these great communities!!

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Crabmaster2000 said:

Just wanted to share a big milestone with you guys. Tonight I beat Might & Magic: Secret of the Inner Sanctum which was the 600th licensed NES games I've beaten to date. Very pumped on this. Got a lot of motivation and help from here and Nintendoage over the years so also thanks to these great communities!!

What did you think of it? I really enjoyed it, but didn't have the patience/time to play it without a walkthrough.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Daniel_Doyce said:

What did you think of it? I really enjoyed it, but didn't have the patience/time to play it without a walkthrough.

I ended up using a guide as well. I wouldn't rank it highly compared to a lot of other NES RPGs. Weak story, so much grinding, lots of useless spells, quests were very shallow, and ran into two different enemy types that were bugged to do 255 damage (one of which was a mandatory encounter). Looked good and had some good music in the dungeons and astral plane though.

316707_front.jpg

Finally beat Mouryou Senki Madara last night. It was quite a long game by NES standards. Overall, despite some good music and interesting features (changing seasons, cinematic boss intros), the combat system was just too boring. The battles happen automatically, although you can stop the action and select spells and items. There's very little strategy, though, and I found myself just alt-tabbing out of the emulator to read stuff while they took place (and the encounter rate is super high).

This is the 14th turn-based rpg I've beaten on the NES. I think it belongs somewhere near the bottom on my list, below Lagrange Point. I didn't like that one too much either, but I'd take it over this. Still, as a huge 8-bit rpg fan, I enjoyed my time with Madara. There's a great review on Gamefaqs which goes over all the details of the game, if you want to learn more. There's also a sequel on Super Famicom which I'd like to check out, but it doesn't appear to have a translation. That's a shame!

As for my next NES rpg, I was planning on doing Kaijuu Monogatari before I started Madara, but it seems like the translation patch causes the game to lag every single time you advance the text. That's annoying as hell, and I confirmed that it doesn't happen on the Japanese version. I'll probably play either Megami Tensei 1 or Wizardry 1 next instead.

• Wow! 1