IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2020 - 677/677 (All Clear!)

scaryice

39 minutes ago, Daniel_Doyce said:

Anyway it's done and I'm out for the rest of the year.

Daniel, you are the man. Whatever the scores say, you plowed through a lot of the longest, hardest, and most attrocious beats for the system. That list would be nowhere close without your contributions. Please, please come back next year. Between you and @Gaia Gensouki, I don't know how you too were able to knock off so many LONG and difficult games. Fun playing with you this year. Made a shitty 2020 much better. 

• Like 2

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2020 - 674/677

Nice, more progress! I was so focused on election stuff over the weekend that I didn't even notice it, my bad. Thanks to Daniel Doyce and tablew/chairs for getting us closer to the finish line. Table has also officially won the Pain Points title, which was never in doubt (nobody likes getting out the Power Pad, huh?). It doesn't look like the bonus points have affected the overall standings much, since the top 9 would all be the same order without them. I still think it's fun, though.

3 games left. Bronze is working on Bases Loaded, and Rock 'n Ball should be relatively easy compared to most games usually left at this stage. Michael Andretti is the annoying one for sure...

Edited by scaryice

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I beat Rock 'n Ball in two previous years of this, but maybe it was only the once. Still takes a long time, even with the glitch that gives me infinite score. Yeah, I got busy, moved, and just now got my game systems hooked up. Hopefully I can spend a little time with this if you do it again next year.

After Destination Earthstar I checked myself into one of those special hotels where the staff all talk to you in a nice soft voice and ask you how you're doin' a lot and you get to wear slippers all day...   ...they said, "No more final tier NES games for you until the New Year or you might just go ¡boi-oi-oing!"   ...pretty sure I'm going to try and stick by that recommendation...

Edited by PII

17 hours ago, WashYourFace said:

I thought I beat Rock 'n Ball in two previous years of this, but maybe it was only the once. Still takes a long time, even with the glitch that gives me infinite score. Yeah, I got busy, moved, and just now got my game systems hooked up. Hopefully I can spend a little time with this if you do it again next year.

You beat it three years in a row, from 2012-4. I was just saying, beating it again would truly make you worthy of the title "master" like in Lemmings...

Elkovsky already beat mode 1 this year, so only the other modes still need to be done.

Edited by scaryice

3 hours ago, scaryice said:

You beat it three years in a row, from 2012-4. I was just saying, beating it again would truly make you worthy of the title "master" like in Lemmings...

Elkovsky already beat mode 1 this year, so only the other modes still need to be done.

3 years in a row? What was I thinking. Well if nobody else does the other parts, I'll knock them out. It's not too bad if you do them one mode at a time and have nothing else to do.

Edited by WashYourFace

I'll be finishing up classes this week, so my schedule will be freeing up considerably very soon. I'm planning on coming back to Rock 'n Ball to finish it off, so unless someone is actually eager to play it, I'd be glad to "take one for the team" (and I haven't marked it off of my master list of NES completions yet as it is).

Just out of curiosity, what's the word on Bases Loaded? Is anyone working on it right now? I seem to remember that that one takes forever to complete.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Elkovsky said:

Just out of curiosity, what's the word on Bases Loaded? Is anyone working on it right now? I seem to remember that that one takes forever to complete.

You rang?

image.png.23295012ea32e688636af3df27633caf.png

Was planning to check in at the halfway point of 40 wins, but I guess now's the time. Still a long way to go yet, but I plan to get there!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, bronzeshield said:

You rang?

image.png.23295012ea32e688636af3df27633caf.png

Was planning to check in at the halfway point of 40 wins, but I guess now's the time. Still a long way to go yet, but I plan to get there!

Thank goodness someone is taking this one. Also, it turns out that I haven't beaten Michael Andretti's World Grand Prix; for some reason I thought I had, but it was Al Unser Jr. Turbo Racing that I finished back in... ::consults spreadsheet:: ... 2013.

If no one else has claimed it, I am considering doing it after finishing Rock 'n Ball... although I'm looking TMR's completion time and I'm wincing a bit. Does it get particularly difficult towards the end of the Grand Prix mode?

I won't be able to resume until December 2 or 3 at the earliest, though; I've still got a couple of final papers to finish and I'll be meeting one-on-one virtually with my own students about their own final projects on Wednesday through Friday. Things will slow way the heck down after that, though.

On 11/25/2020 at 10:59 AM, WashYourFace said:

3 years in a row? What was I thinking. Well if nobody else does the other parts, I'll knock them out. It's not too bad if you do them one mode at a time and have nothing else to do.

Three times?  Once was enough for me.  It is one of my least favorite pinball games.  The glitch ruins the main table (not that it's a great to begin with) since it can be unintentionally activated, making it a pain to get a high score legitimately.  The two-player modes might be interesting to try with another person, but playing against the computer just isn't fun.  9-Ball is easily the worst part of the game.  The ball just bounces around so slowly.

Alright, I'm back at it again. My own coursework is done and I just have a few little loose ends with grading and such, so I should have a lot more time to help get us through these last few games.

Took a few shots at 9-ball in Rock 'n' Ball a little while ago, but no dice. I'm getting a little better with the nudging, but I'm probably going to need good luck on my first two sets to make this happen.

Just to clarify, for each of the battle and sports modes, do I need to do a 3-set, 5-set, and 7-set for each mode for those modes to count as finished?

On 9/27/2020 at 11:41 PM, scaryice said:
On 9/24/2020 at 11:04 PM, PII said:

Rock 'N' Ball Question: In both of the Sport Modes and the three Vs. Modes the player is given the option to select a 3,5 or 7 set match.  Is it necessary to do all three for each?  Or can it just be a 3-Set and done?

I would say 3 set is fine, since that's just an option and not a separate mode.

@Elkovsky I had been wondering the same thing a while back....

Alright, I have something to show for my efforts. Here we go...

For 9-Ball, I figured out that it's possible to game the RNG as far as the initial board setup. If one cues through the title screen and moves through the options pretty quickly, the fifth pattern of bonus multipliers yields four bonus multiplier spots in a decent configuration. Between that and good fortune, I was able to get 42,000 "dollars" after three rounds, and then I wagered away the money I didn't need during rounds 4 and 5. It turns out that a fully powered shot with no nudges afterwards will always drain down the left side, so I was able to avoid accidentally winning money at that point.

IMG_20201211_142955.jpg

IMG_20201211_143513.jpg[]

Battle Flipper was novel, but kind of annoying.

IMG_20201211_150152.jpg

IMG_20201211_153426.jpg

IMG_20201211_155649.jpg

I couldn't reliably get the flipper to behave correctly on Soccer (it would sometimes flip the balls back at me, even when I thought I was swinging it the right way... not sure how much of that is my stupidity and how much was just janky physics), but I didn't actually need to for Ice Hockey, since winning was mostly a matter of keeping the goalie in the middle and waiting for the AI to make stupid mistakes.

IMG_20201211_180219.jpg

IMG_20201211_180634.jpg

Assuming that 3 sets counts as completion for each mode, then, Rock 'n' Ball is done! Even if it isn't, I think I'm going to move on to Michael Andretti's World GP for now, since no one else seems to be claiming it and it's still on my personal list. Anything I should know before starting in?

Edited by Elkovsky
Reorganizing images
  • Like 3

Okay, so I started Michael Andretti's World GP, and, um... whoa man. I was *not* expecting an NES racing game with a learning curve. I'm honestly not sure if I have the time for this right now; even if I kept at it over most of the break, I'm not sure if I'd be able to finish this before the end of the year. Not to let everyone down or anything...

9 hours ago, Elkovsky said:

I was able to avoid accidentally winning money

That made me laugh a bit, cuz I don't think I've ever heard anyone say that before.  

I felt the same way about M.A.W. GP.  Def. a curve.  I'd eventually like to get good enough at it to enjoy it.  Kinda makes me wonder if it'd be against the rules to shop around for a ringer, like hiring a mercenary; here's the deal: You join VGS and you take out Andretti - half the purse now and the other half after the job is done, whadaya say?

4 hours ago, Elkovsky said:

Okay, so I started Michael Andretti's World GP, and, um... whoa man. I was *not* expecting an NES racing game with a learning curve. I'm honestly not sure if I have the time for this right now; even if I kept at it over most of the break, I'm not sure if I'd be able to finish this before the end of the year. Not to let everyone down or anything...

I tried it a while back and it was really tough. Not what I was expecting at all.

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2020 - 675/677
3 hours ago, PII said:

I felt the same way about M.A.W. GP.  Def. a curve.  I'd eventually like to get good enough at it to enjoy it.  Kinda makes me wonder if it'd be against the rules to shop around for a ringer, like hiring a mercenary; here's the deal: You join VGS and you take out Andretti - half the purse now and the other half after the job is done, whadaya say?

Technically, it's fine as long as someone #1: is a member of the site, and #2: beat the game this year. Although, how many people in the entire world do you think have beaten the game already this year? It can't be more than, I dunno, 10.

• Haha 1