IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2020 - 677/677 (All Clear!)

scaryice

I tried KFH several times and I just can't beat it, despite the warps. The farthest I ever got was level 7-4. But during those last levels I'm just burning through my lives.

I've also tried Destination Earthstar and I have to say that it's not a bad game in theory. It could have been enjoyable, but unfortunately it's too difficult for me. If it had unlimited continues and maybe also passwords like Air Fortress I would try to beat it, but the way it is now, that won't happen.

56 minutes ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

I tried KFH several times and I just can't beat it, despite the warps. The farthest I ever got was level 7-4. But during those last levels I'm just burning through my lives.

I've also tried Destination Earthstar and I have to say that it's not a bad game in theory. It could have been enjoyable, but unfortunately it's too difficult for me. If it had unlimited continues and maybe also passwords like Air Fortress I would try to beat it, but the way it is now, that won't happen.

I can try it again tomorrow after I get a Target Renegade score posted, but if someone else can beat it, they are more than welcome to.

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted

I've still been trying Battle tank, but my luckiest run was still a few missions from the end. Those final standoff objectives are the kicker. You're getting shot at the whole time, so it's basically a time limit before you die. Any slip-up of any kind might mean you die. Because of that, it's worth the risk to try and replenish your health at a depot right before that final objective, which means cutting it close until then. If the mission doesn't start well, then you're in a bad spot of either trying to not use the depot and running out of health while fighting tanks and choppers, or you use the depot sooner and go into the final objective with less-than-full health, which is almost a deathwish.

I'll keep trying it, I'm trying to play it every day. But of course anyone else is welcome to take a stab.

Beat Kung Fu Heroes tonight. Once you learn where enough power ups to get to 5 and have 3 punches it's just a matter of getting used to enemy patterns. Saved up 6 gold bags to make the final stage easier on myself too, but with the shortcuts on the stage you can keep yourself fairly safe until you see the enemies you want to attack. 

50114512481_853ea64606_b.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Crabmaster2000 said:

Beat Kung Fu Heroes tonight. Once you learn where enough power ups to get to 5 and have 3 punches it's just a matter of getting used to enemy patterns. Saved up 6 gold bags to make the final stage easier on myself too, but with the shortcuts on the stage you can keep yourself fairly safe until you see the enemies you want to attack. 

50114512481_853ea64606_b.jpg

Good work! I was going to try it later this week if nobody claimed it, but I wasn't exactly looking forward to it. 

• Thanks 1

Editorials Team · Posted

I beat Battle Tank! The key in the later missions is to drive in reverse when facing choppers, and approach tanks with some speed. The choppers and tanks behave differently in the 2nd half of the game, so you have to use different strategies. And of course the other key is to git gud on the final objectives so that they're basically guaranteed as long as you have full health. I'm sort of embarrassed that I ever died on them. I was seeing a bug(?) on some of them where my smoke bombs just didn't fire, so I died within seconds. I don't know what was causing that, but I'm lucky it didn't happen on this run.

OewaJ81.png

Shows mission 10 in the upper right, and mission complete at the bottom. Very relieving. The 6 health indicators in the upper left flash red, so this shot doesn't show that 5 of them were blinking. One more hit and I would have been toast.

VJE6aoh.png

lPn8qGe.png

• Like 5

@Splain

Wow, well done!  I've been playing it here and there and I was still pissin' around trying to beat the boss on the 3rd mission.  I also noticed buggy goings on when facing that boss.  The strangest thing that happened was when I got there the boss just didn't show up.  Nothing I did made a difference, so I just rolled my tank all the way back to the left and let it sit there for a while; still nothing.  Finally, I put the controller down - a few seconds later the enemy showed up and started blasting the crap out of me.  Wondering if you ever ran into that issue?

Editorials Team · Posted
1 hour ago, PII said:

@Splain

Wow, well done!  I've been playing it here and there and I was still pissin' around trying to beat the boss on the 3rd mission.  I also noticed buggy goings on when facing that boss.  The strangest thing that happened was when I got there the boss just didn't show up.  Nothing I did made a difference, so I just rolled my tank all the way back to the left and let it sit there for a while; still nothing.  Finally, I put the controller down - a few seconds later the enemy showed up and started blasting the crap out of me.  Wondering if you ever ran into that issue?

Haha wow, no I never got stood up like that. But sometimes the dramatic right-pan takes a little too long and I wonder if something is broken.

Battle Tank seemed like a decent effort for the NES, despite its flaws. I enjoyed what I played of it.

18 games left. Nothing easy, except maybe the Power Pad stuff. I might try Super Glove Ball again soon. I got to the first boss without much trouble last month, but he destroyed me quickly.

11 minutes ago, Crabmaster2000 said:

The Last Starfighter is done. Had to abuse the pause button a lot. Not a fun game by any stretch. 

50124111711_35b2648a89_b.jpg

Congrats on taking another tough one down.

I know it's a port of Uridium on the C64. I wonder if the original is much better.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Crabmaster2000 said:

Which game is less likely to get played Sky Kid or To The Earth? I'm gonna play something a little less infuriating first and then I'll get working on one of those two shortly after. 

I've been making a couple attempts on Sky Kid each week, though I got kinda burned out on the game. I plan to keep trying but you're absolutely welcome to go for it too -- the game's on my personal "to beat" priority list, so I'm not working on it solely for the thread.

I did think about trying To the Earth since I've done a bunch of other light gun games this year, but I haven't ever played it and its reputation is ferocious.

• Like 1

Anyone who's cleared To the Earth in previous years have any tips? The bosses really seem like the major hurdle. My shoulders are getting too tired to play super long sessions. I think I may relocate my TV to the floor and angle it up so I can play shooting downwards then I can probably handle longer sessions to practice. 

Would a larger or smaller screen be easier or harder? I can't decide and I've got a 13" and 27" CRT both available to use. 

I've not beaten To the Earth, but I put some hours into it a few years ago. I was reliably getting to the final stage, which is much harder than all the previous stages. I think I only once or twice reached the final boss. And yeah, I could only make a couple of attempts per day because this old man's arm was cramping up. But I personally found the hit detection more advantageous on my smaller TV. If I were you, I'd try it on the 13"er. Good luck, crabby!

• Thanks 1

Woke up early and wanted to play, but the zapper is too loud and I'd wake up my family so I decided to redo my Track & Field II video which scaryice pointed out my upload was missing the ending like 2 years ago. Figured since it was one of the last ones on the list it would be as good a time as any to go through it again. As long as you know the trick to gymnastics and are decent at mashing it's not a super tough game. 

50133838868_b577e51693_b.jpg

• Like 4

My wife took my daughter out to the lake today so I had a few hours of uninterrupted To the Earth practice. Moved my TV to the floor and propped it up at an angle so I could play for much longer without getting tired (which was leading to more frustration and mistakes), and had a killer run just a couple hours in! I was wrong with my initial thoughts that the bosses where the hard part. They are the easiest part of the game, I just didn't realize that I was losing health when I missed shots so I was firing like crazy and taking damage from being inaccurate. The first 3 stages are actually all very manageable, it's just stage 4 that is the sticking point. I also think that was the final zapper game I had left to beat so that feels good. 

The only games left on the list that I still need to beat for my personal list are Super Glove Ball and Sky Kid. If no one has taken either of those down in the next few days I'll start work on them after I play through a few others. If no one has beaten the remaining power pad games very late in the year I can slam through those, but it's not a priority so I would wait until November/December and if they aren't done I can do them just to make sure the list gets finished. Hopefully someone else takes those ones down way before then. 

50134983581_f098543159_k.jpg

50135216247_af9f20bc14_k.jpg

• Like 5

You're crushing it! Two games in one day at this point is amazing. I love the diagonal tv setup, too.

I've been playing a bit of Super Glove Ball. It looks like the best strategy will be just to farm for a ton of lives (as TMR did in his run). So if I spend an hour or so doing that, it'll make it doable. The bosses can eat through your lives super quickly.

We're also getting very close to nerdynebraskan officially clinching the championship once again...

Edited by scaryice
  • Thanks 1