IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2020 - 677/677 (All Clear!)

scaryice

13 hours ago, Crabmaster2000 said:

You get different end screens for each difficulty and all the ones below Very Hard tease that it's not a real ending. Scroll down a bit on this page and it outlines them all:

http://www.vgmuseum.com/end/nes/c/rampart.htm

I like the game and I can't even finish the last level on Easy.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I like the game and I can't even finish the last level on Easy.

I really like it as well. Just gotta cheese the CPU on the harder difficulties. Take down and fire launching ships and ships that drop tanks. Fill up the screen with the standard ones that just shoot at you and then all you have to do is surround one castle each turn until you win. No cannons even necessary. Not a fun way to play, but a fairly easy win and considering how little building time you have on the harder difficulties.

1 minute ago, Crabmaster2000 said:

I really like it as well. Just gotta cheese the CPU on the harder difficulties. Take down and fire launching ships and ships that drop tanks. Fill up the screen with the standard ones that just shoot at you and then all you have to do is surround one castle each turn until you win. No cannons even necessary. Not a fun way to play, but a fairly easy win and considering how little building time you have on the harder difficulties.

I'll have to give that a try. I'd like to beat it finally.

I'm currently trying to get through Mission: Impossible. I hope that this should be doable with continues and passwords. So far it's not even a bad game, just quite difficult and obscure since you're stumbling through big, non-linear levels trying to figure out what to do and where to go.

• Like 2

On 7/2/2020 at 12:26 AM, Crabmaster2000 said:

You get different end screens for each difficulty and all the ones below Very Hard tease that it's not a real ending. Scroll down a bit on this page and it outlines them all:

http://www.vgmuseum.com/end/nes/c/rampart.htm

I don't think very hard should be required for Rampart, since it clearly says "you've completed the game" even on easy.

6 hours ago, scaryice said:

I don't think very hard should be required for Rampart, since it clearly says "you've completed the game" even on easy.

I don't know if this is nitpicking or not, but it doesn't say "you've completed the game" it says "you're completed the game on easy/medium/hard/very hard" which I think has a different context. Regardless of that the part that bugs me is the top parts that say:

Easy "not quite the end"

Medium " the end sort of"

Hard "the end almost"

Very Hard "Truly the End"

I think that's a pretty definite statement.

5 minutes ago, Crabmaster2000 said:

I don't know if this is nitpicking or not, but it doesn't say "you've completed the game" it says "you're completed the game on easy/medium/hard/very hard" which I think has a different context. Regardless of that the part that bugs me is the top parts that say:

Easy "not quite the end"

Hard "the end almost"

Given the criteria for other games, I really can't argue with that going forward though.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Crabmaster2000 said:

Easy "not quite the end"

Hard "the end almost"

It's still clearly an ending, even if it's not the best one. Burai Fighter & TMNT: Tournament Fighter are similar cases, and I haven't required the hardest difficulty for those.

Edited by scaryice
  • Sad 1

I've finally beaten Mission: Impossible. While this game wasn't literally impossible, it was still  tough challenge. Especially the last mission was one of the worst instances of a final level I've seen so far on the NES. It's not just very difficult with lots and lots of enemies or environmental hazards, but it also has certain roadblocks where you can't advance anymore if one of your three characters dies. To top it all of it's also one of the longest levels I've ever played in such a game as this mission easily took me 40 minutes or so on my final successful attempt. The whole game of Contra Force was quicker than this single level!

I think that this one could have been a pretty cool game, but some design decisions drag it down. Still, considering that this is a licensed game it could have been much worse.

Mission Impossible.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, BriGuy82 said:

@Bearcat-Doug I couldn't get into track and field II. It doesn't have the same charm as the first one imo. I think the first one would've been a perfect black box game. 

I couldn't either. It seems like an overly long version of the first game. I tried, but I didn't get very far on it.

20 games left... 6 of them were also in the final 20 the last time we completed them all, in 2016. Those six are:

Kung Fu Heroes, Michael Andretti's World Grand Prix, Solomon's Key, Stealth ATF, Super Team Games, To the Earth

Two of them were in the final 20 for 2015:

Kung Fu Heroes, Super Glove Ball

And none of them were in the final 20 the first time all games were cleared in 2012.

Edited by scaryice
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I tried it a few weeks ago. It seemed more tedious than difficult.

It gets really hard near the end. I spent about two weeks on this game a couple years ago and couldn't beat the last level. Arnpoly rates it a 9 on his blog in terms of difficulty.

http://takeontheneslibrary.com/finished/86-kung-fu-heroes/

1 minute ago, mbd39 said:

It gets really hard near the end. I spent about two weeks on this game a couple years ago and couldn't beat the last level. Arnpoly rates it a 9 on his blog in terms of difficulty.

http://takeontheneslibrary.com/finished/86-kung-fu-heroes/

I could probably do it if nobody claims it by December 31.