IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2020 - 677/677 (All Clear!)

scaryice

4 minutes ago, Daniel_Doyce said:

Is anyone actively playing Solomon's Key? I saw some runs online and it doesn't look _that_ hard, right? 😜

I dont think anyone is actively playing anything. Its all you, Daniel. I may start a bases loaded season if @bronzeshield is no longer planning to play it. It would take me weeks if not months, but thats better than not getting it done at all. 

1 hour ago, Daniel_Doyce said:

Bases Loaded is my other option, but I'm happy to cede it to Solomon's Key. Better get started on the season, my friend!

I didnt know whether to like this or choose the sad one. I swore no more bases loaded after the second season wore me down. But Im up for getting the thread back going and doubt I'd beat anything else. I may try that racer, but I dont think it has a save state and exceeds like 10 hours. Not sure if I could keep a NES on long enough with a 2 year old running around pushing buttons. Ill let you know if I switch, but im def going to play a couple games of BL tonight and get a feel

I ended up taking a break from the NES for the better part of two months, as I was getting worn down by the random crashes, and more generally burned out on a "video games = work" mentality I found myself in.

I may have fixed the crashing problem, and I'm still willing in principle to take on Bases Loaded -- but if NESfiend is feeling frisky about the game 😄and Daniel Doyce is willing to do Solomon's Key, perhaps it's better that I plan to do one or both of those next year instead. 🙂

Still might try Destination Earthstar, though if that one crashes on me mid-run, I'll be really mad...

12 minutes ago, bronzeshield said:

I ended up taking a break from the NES for the better part of two months, as I was getting worn down by the random crashes, and more generally burned out on a "video games = work" mentality I found myself in.

I may have fixed the crashing problem, and I'm still willing in principle to take on Bases Loaded -- but if NESfiend is feeling frisky about the game 😄and Daniel Doyce is willing to do Solomon's Key, perhaps it's better that I plan to do one or both of those next year instead. 🙂

Still might try Destination Earthstar, though if that one crashes on me mid-run, I'll be really mad...

Dude PLEASE take it. I never played it until tonight. 4 innings over half an hour and lost 4-1 before ripping it out. Im not even sure id be able to get good enough at this and finish it by Jan 1. 

I beat 2 and 3 this year and thought the skills would translate. They don't. This thing is a lot slower. 

Edited by NESfiend

4 hours ago, NESfiend said:

I may try that racer, but I dont think it has a save state and exceeds like 10 hours.

I was one of those unfortunate souls who tried that racer and I can tell you that it does have passwords, so you don't have to play all of it in one go. BUT it takes extremely long and it's repetitive while also being very difficult. I got to Level 3 before I quit and did something else. There are like 8 or 9 levels and with every level you have to race every previous track again plus at least one more track for each new level. It also seems as if the CPU is getting stronger with every level as well. Already on level 3 the CPU gets so difficult that I can't afford any grave mistake or the whole race is over for me. Maybe I'm just bad at it. Better racers on Youtube can take all the turns without having to brake at all,

So feel free to give it a try. You can spread it across several play sessions. I'm not sure if I'll return to it or of I could even beat it. I'm feeling a bit burned out from playing too much. And the remaining NES titles don't particularly entice me to come back.😅

• Like 1

Destination Earthstar is done; finally.  It's also quite possibly the biggest pain in the arse that I've ever slotted into a Nintendo or any console for that matter.  The space stages are really easy once you know what you're doing, but the shmup portion is just relentlessly punishing in the last stage or two if you allow your weapon upgrades to deteriorate due to excessive deaths.  Imagine trying to steer a spaceship through an eel's ass while simultaneously dealing with being chased/attacked from all sides and you'll have some idea...

destination earthstar.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Wow! 1
  • Haha 1

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2020 - 670/677

Thanks, PII. After a month with no clears, we're now down to the final 7 games! Three of those are for the Power Pad, so basically only four left for most of us to consider.

I haven't seen anyone mention anything about Rock 'n Ball for a while. I know @Elkovsky completed mode 1, but he hasn't logged on for a while.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, scaryice said:

Thanks, PII. After a month with no clears, we're now down to the final 7 games! Three of those are for the Power Pad, so basically only four left for most of us to consider.

I haven't seen anyone mention anything about Rock 'n Ball for a while. I know @Elkovsky completed mode 1, but he hasn't logged on for a while.

I looked into it. I've never played it though. It seems extensive for something that appears to be a pinball game from what I've read. 

On 9/24/2020 at 11:04 PM, PII said:

Rock 'N' Ball Question: In both of the Sport Modes and the three Vs. Modes the player is given the option to select a 3,5 or 7 set match.  Is it necessary to do all three for each?  Or can it just be a 3-Set and done?

I would say 3 set is fine, since that's just an option and not a separate mode.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, bronzeshield said:

It begins:

1368265323_BasesLoaded001.png.b1194326277b3d73645c86bed7f3154e.png

I found the unhittable-pitch exploit, and picked the one Jersey pitcher capable of it, completely by accident. (Well, half of it, anyway: the technique changes when your pitcher tires out.)

Only 79 games to go! 😜

You are the man for enduring this. I still can't believe how much more unplayable this is compared to BL 2 and 3. I didnt know about the exploit. Hopefully that makes it a lot less of a chore. I really couldn't get through one game

Edited by NESfiend

On 10/2/2020 at 7:32 PM, Daniel_Doyce said:

Solomon's Key is going to be a long one. I'm guessing I just need to save state practice the levels until I get the muscle memory to beat it.

You can warp past levels as well which should reduce your time considerably unless you're trying to beat every single stage. If you use the warps it's really only a couple late stages that are high in difficulty. 

On 9/24/2020 at 8:48 AM, scaryice said:

Yeah, I'm in my last year of coursework for a PhD and I basically won't have a break until, like, the beginning of December. If Rock 'n' Ball is still unfinished at that point, I'll take a shot at it then. I also happen to have a Power Pad... I don't have Street Cop, but I have the other games, listed just as an FYI. Again, though, it'll be December until I have time to jump back in; it's been 60-70 hour weeks for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Any Ringers out there that'd like to take out Michael Andretti's World Grand Prix?  

A month or so ago, I was kind of hoping to get into it, but it's got a serious learning curve (bad pun) so for me it's moved onto my 'maybe next year list.'

Seems like a game that'd be big fun once you move on from 'getting the hang of it' to 'really having a feel for it...'

On 10/19/2020 at 12:11 AM, Daniel_Doyce said:

Definitely a learning curve with Solomon's key, but I'm memorizing the levels enough that I should be able to finish it by next weekend

Are you using the continue code? Tecmo printed it on a hint poster that I believe was sold with the game. The old Nintendo Age database definitely showed a hint poster in their CIB photo of the game. I know the competition rules say that cheat codes are only fair game if they're "in the manual", but since most games were only shipped with a manual I interpret that as shorthand for paperwork sold with the game. What do you think, @scaryice?

I've been thinking about trying the Power Pad games, but I need to move some stuff in my gameroom to make space on the floor for my Power Pad. That might still be weeks away, but I'd love to help again and get this thread ended on a high note.

Oh, and @bronzeshield, how is Bases Loaded going?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nerdynebraskan said:

Are you using the continue code? Tecmo printed it on a hint poster that I believe was sold with the game. The old Nintendo Age database definitely showed a hint poster in their CIB photo of the game. I know the competition rules say that cheat codes are only fair game if they're "in the manual", but since most games were only shipped with a manual I interpret that as shorthand for paperwork sold with the game. What do you think, @scaryice?

It's fine to use that code. We talked about that a couple years ago, actually, I think I just forgot to write it on the list of winning conditions. Thanks for reminding everyone!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, nerdynebraskan said:

Oh, and @bronzeshield, how is Bases Loaded going?

Slowly, but it is going. I made decent progress last week but this week hasn't seen much. I've at least gotten it down to 25-30 minutes per game, so the hope is to average just over 1 win/day for the rest of the year.

Of course, if all else fails I'll marathon the rest of my team's remaining games toward the end of the year! 😄

Edited by bronzeshield
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1