IGNORED

The Cinemassacre effect is still a thing...

TriHart

I can't say that I haven't.  I sub to MetalJesus and he's shown some games that I wasn't aware of.  Of course, unless it's a game I feel I can't miss, I usually getting annoyed that I want any of them (though I'm not annoyed at MJR) because I know if I want it, it's going to have just had a 25-100% price increase, depending on how rare it is.

But, usually, for the more indy, or uncommon stuff, if you can wait, prices tend to fall back down in 1-3 months.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Knuxie said:

I'm kinda shocked that people buy games based off of eceleb videos. 

Then again, I still dont understand how being mentioned by Oprah will make your book an instant best seller.

Eh, monkey see, monkey do.

I think some don't go off of the say so of the celeb, but happen to watch and think, "Well, that looks kind of cool, and it's only $ on eBay." *hits BIN*

• Like 1

Its all about visibility.  The more people know about it AND its a good game, the more people clamor for it.  For a game to be super expensive it needs three things, Rarity, Quality and Visibility all of them add up to Desirability.  Visibility being the most important for the price spike.  How many people know about it?  Thats why I always say to do your own research and you can bypass all of this and not get bit in the butt when its too late.

• Like 1

Interesting enough, MJR dropped a video this morning but it was a bit different than others I've watched.  It was a traditional Games for system X you might want to check out" video for the 3DS but, this time, he pointed out games he liked, games he wanted to play and games he couldn't get into but asked others what they thought.  He also panned over a lot of titles and was like "these are good so let's talk about a few", so there were probably 30-40 titles shown or mentioned in the video.

I wonder if maybe his technique is changing a bit because so many people complain about the "Popular Youtuber just showed off a game I want and now, boo hoo, I can't afford it!" effect.

On 12/18/2019 at 11:53 AM, Tulpa said:

He still has three million subscribers and the Spawn video got over a million and a half views. That's good enough to start a buying spree.

The former to me is less crazy than the latter. The AVGN videos show plenty of the gameplay. Even if you disregard his opinions entirely, you are getting a good look at the actual game. 

I check out gameplay on YouTube before every game purchase I make unless I have already played it. If avgn has a video on it, it accomplishes the same thing with a little more entertainment to go along with it. I've bought games after viewing AVGN videos. Not sure why that's considered a dirty practice of some sort. 

Edit: The quote didnt include everything I intended. In first line, buying games after avgn watch is the former. The latter was his example about buying a book on Oprahs recommendation. 

Edited by NESfiend

On 12/18/2019 at 12:51 PM, Splain said:

I'm surprised too. All Cinemassacre or just AVGN?

I'd say Cinemassacre in general. IIRC Hagane, while rare, was dirt cheap until Mike did the SNES Hidden Gems vid on the channel 

Edit: Yep just checked, game was like $89 before "Top 10 Obscure SNES Gems by Mike Matei", jumped to $285 almost overnight.

Edited by andrew244
adding info

On 12/18/2019 at 10:53 AM, TriHart said:

I guess I'm sorta kinda still shocked that the Cinemassacre effect is still a thing. 🤷‍♂️

I mean it has been around for about 15 years now.  Those who thought it was just a flash in the pan have been proven wrong.

7 minutes ago, austin532 said:

We now have a My Life in Gaming effect LOL. People have been buying up the SNES Jr. controllers because they are supposedly better.

What is a SNES jr?  Is that what hipsters call the SNES mini now so not to be confused with the SNES classic?

Why is the controller better?

There is no official name for the 2nd model SNES but most people seem to be calling it Jr. now. I still prefer SNES mini though.

I'm not sure why some people claim it to be better. I guess it just feels fresher and more responsive to them. I've tested out both and they feel the same to me. If anything the SNES mini controller feels lower quality compared to the originals.

I don't get it either.  I mean the second SNES is a major downgrade compared to the original...after all, the first one has S-video, the second one does not. 😞  I for one am very grateful they had the foresight to include S-video compatibility back in 1991...after all back then how many US televisions could take S-video in those days?  And trust me, you want S-video instead of composite (red/white/yellow) for SNES, you really do.

Not saying anyone here is doing this, but I don’t really fault these YouTube gaming celebs for talking about games they like and bringing awareness. Part of what I love about this hobby is my ability to talk about it and share with others. The price climbing is just an unfortunate side effect.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, The Strangest said:

Not saying anyone here is doing this, but I don’t really fault these YouTube gaming celebs for talking about games they like and bringing awareness. Part of what I love about this hobby is my ability to talk about it and share with others. The price climbing is just an unfortunate side effect.

Yeah, it's not their fault they have a massive fanbase. It is what it is.

2 hours ago, Estil said:

I don't get it either.  I mean the second SNES is a major downgrade compared to the original...after all, the first one has S-video, the second one does not. 😞  I for one am very grateful they had the foresight to include S-video compatibility back in 1991...after all back then how many US televisions could take S-video in those days?  And trust me, you want S-video instead of composite (red/white/yellow) for SNES, you really do.

I can understand the decision to remove RGB as I'm sure less than 1% of people were using it but S-Video was a standard input on most tv's by 1998. I'm still a strong defender that games from this era were designed with composite in mind. If you have a tv with a nice comb filter, Composite can look pretty decent.

7 hours ago, austin532 said:

We now have a My Life in Gaming effect LOL. People have been buying up the SNES Jr. controllers because they are supposedly better.

I checked after watching that video. I have 4 of them and they feel crappier than the one I've been using since 2008. I have no idea what MLIG guy was on about with that part of the vid.