IGNORED

For Mega Man 2 Players: How do you beat this boss?

fcgamer

Doesn't sound like a good strategy to me? If you die mid-fight, you can lock yourself out of being able to beat it, because you don't get your ammo back. You'll be stuck farming weapon refills for ages, which is the worst thing that can possibly happen in a Mega Man 2 run.

The only way to beat it is to go in with full ammunition on the crash bomb, and don't destroy any walls that you don't need to. There are few ways to optimize it

IIRC you can beat the boss with like one shot left on the crash bomb, but it's better to assume you don't have any in case of screw-ups. The wall right in from of you when you enter the room can and should be skipped using items 1, 2, or 3. The one in front of the upper right trap can be skipped too in a similar manner, but it can also be destroyed along with either the wall below it, or the trap above it. The leftmost wall can also be destroyed along with the trap above it.

Honestly, this boss (and the majority of the stage) is the primary reason that I don't understand why anyone could claim MM2 is the best of the series. The game is great, but it would be better without it.

Edited by Sumez
  • Like 1

Not my video, but this is the exact method I use. It shows how to save your Crash Bombs by using the Item 1 to reach the two beams in the upper left and how to drop down to the one in the upper right and use the Item 3 to get out so you don't use any Crash Bombs on walls that you don't need to which leaves you just enough to beat the boss in one trip.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug
  • Like 2

Caving in an using an E-tank is always better than risking spending the next 15 minutes farming for weapon refills. 😛

Fortunately the boss doesn't do a lot of damage, and depending on where you are standing, dodging the attacks is just a question of a single timed jump. I think it's better to take your time and always stop to dodge an attack, than trying to rush the boss.

I try to do it in one try, but I can’t always do it. Sometimes I can’t get around with the Items and they run out. If that happens and I run out of bombs too, then I die and go back. It’s not that hard to grind for more ammo. 

If I need an E tank I use it. Why not? That’s what they’re for. It’s not like I need them anywhere else. Maybe one towards the end of the boss rush. 

8 hours ago, fcgamer said:

https://megaman.fandom.com/wiki/Boobeam_Trap

I'm not sure what the official name of this event is, but we all know the boss. Growing up my brother and I would destroy the walls first, then die and destroy the enemy second. Now I try to do it all on one go. What about everyone else?

That's how I use to do it as well because I thought that was the only way.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Not my video, but this is the exact method I use. It shows how to save your Crash Bombs by using the Item 1 to reach the two beams in the upper left and how to drop down to the one in the upper right and use the Item 3 to get out so you don't use any Crash Bombs on walls that you don't need to which leaves you just enough to beat the boss in one trip.

Glad to see this is a good way to do it, because this is how I stagger through it too.

You can destroy the left most wall and the top shooter with one shot if you place it right between them. Saves you a shot of Crash Bomb that you can use on the last boss. 

I also use item 1 and can usually take the fight without using an E tank. If you fall off a ledge or jump just as they shoot they're easy to avoid. Play quick and they don't even have a chance to kill you anyway. 

On 12/17/2019 at 1:43 PM, zombiemicrowave said:

Want to beat it without getting hit?

As they begin to flash, keep pressing start. The bullets go right through you. 

Yup. That’s how I’ve been doing it since I was like 5 years old. Can’t believe I could actually get that far as a kid.

I firmly believe that Megaman and Zelda games have had a profoundly positive impact on my problem solving skills and have been a huge benefit for me throughout my entire life

Edited by phart010

As a kid, my friends and I all thought you had to destroy all of the barriers and then die, recharge the weapon, and go back to finish off the boss.

We were always too in the heat of the moment to realize where we could have used the special items to avoid barriers.

As an adult, I have more appreciation for the puzzle of figuring out how to beat that boss without needing to die.

• Like 1

I too fight this boss the same way as the video that Bearcat-Doug shared shows.

On ‎12‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 7:06 AM, Sumez said:

Doesn't sound like a good strategy to me? If you die mid-fight, you can lock yourself out of being able to beat it, because you don't get your ammo back. You'll be stuck farming weapon refills for ages, which is the worst thing that can possibly happen in a Mega Man 2 run.

Honestly, this boss (and the majority of the stage) is the primary reason that I don't understand why anyone could claim MM2 is the best of the series. The game is great, but it would be better without it.

^I'm with ya on this. I mean I get that people's favorite is purely subjective, but this boss battle wasn't a good design choice.

1 hour ago, Sumez said:

Yeah, subjective takes on games is what makes it all interesting. I'm just sour because people often don't realise that several of the later NES MM games are better 😛

While my favorite is MM2 I can see that perspective. I feel like everything released after 3 was a bit late in the NES lifecycle where a lot of people started to move on to Sega or SNES whereas 2 and 3 were released during peak Nintendo mania. Everyone played those back in the day where fewer played 4, even fewer played 5, and a LOT fewer played 6 as that one was way late to the party.

2 hours ago, Sumez said:

Yeah, subjective takes on games is what makes it all interesting. I'm just sour because people often don't realise that several of the later NES MM games are better 😛

I guess I'm going to get stoned to death for thinking the first one is the best. It was the only one that kept a score which added to the replay value for me.

34 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I guess I'm going to get stoned to death for thinking the first one is the best. It was the only one that kept a score which added to the replay value for me.

The first one is my favorite too, though not for that reason. When I replayed all the Mega Man games recently (well, 1-8 anyway), I was reminded of how easy it is to end up in a position of having to farm for weapon energy because that one boss can only be hit by a very specific weapon, or spending hours searching for obscurely hidden stuff.

I like the fact that MM1 is lean and no-nonsense and a little bit weird. Really, the only significant flaw is the bad collision detection on the moving platforms that shoot out their sides.