IGNORED

Movie Debate #155: Ghostbusters II

Rate it  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences, NOT HISTORICAL SIGNIFICANCE

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite movies of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer f'ing movie. Everyone should watch it.
    • 8/10 - Great movie. Easy to recommend.
    • 7/10 - Very good movie, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy the occasional watch, or tune in if you happen to catch it on cable.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to watch.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not very good.
    • 2/10 - Pretty crappy.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Citizen Kane of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your retinas than watch this.
    • Never seen it, but you're interested in watching it.
    • Never seen it, never will.
  2. 2. Next week's poll

• Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail
    • Time Bandits
    • 12 Monkeys

22 hours ago, JamesRobot said:

2016 is more authentic and fresh to me.  I like the new flicks too, but it feels like they're painted with the Disney/Marvel/Star Wars brush.  Nostalgia cash-in all the way.  Which is great because they're bustin ghosts, just like new Star Wars 78&9 are great because they have lightsabers and space battles.

I'd agree with that sentiment with Frozen Empire, it's nice, but it's not on the tier of the original two, or Afterlife either.  Afterlife doesn't have that disney stench to me, it was if anything a very proper send off and a friendly sad goodbye to Egon too.  It should have stopped there and no one would have thought any worse of it.  The new one which is fine, it's just not in the top half of the pile for sure, and does kind of have that aging dragged out feel a middle of the last star wars trilogy vibe to it just a bit.  Not bad, but why?  2016 is fine, just not fine as a ghostbusters movie as like some redaction and redesign of the old movie franchise as that then given how they acted, how dumb the guy was, and the rest feels a bit like a kick in the teeth.

18 hours ago, xelement5x said:

and of course the courtroom scene when they save the judge.

I'm really not a big fan of the muppet-style ghosts... I prefer when they go for something more horror-based like the librarian in the opening of the first movie. Also, the Judge's performance in that scene is atrocious. And from a story perspective... it just makes no sense why the Ghostbusters would be in trouble when hundreds of thousands of people saw a giant marshmallow man walking through downtown New York.

and also... why was Winston left out of this scene?! They show him at the very beginning of the trial, but then he just disappears!

Edited by G-type