IGNORED

Eclipse 2024

Tulpa

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, wongojack said:

Isn't there one of these every 18 months somewhere on earth?  Maybe I'll make the effort to travel to one someday.

Yes, but most happen over the ocean. Hitting land is a little more rare. 

Next one is 2026, over Greenland, Iceland (including Reykjavik), and Spain, just north of Madrid, though by that time it'll be near sunset, so you need to be away from the hills and such.

2027 will have one over northern Africa, though Gibraltar should also see it.

Central Alaska will see one in 2033, and @Reed Rothchild should see one in 2044 (along with the deckles, I mean, Calgarians.)

2045 will have one that'll cross the US again. This time in August, which should see sunny skies. Assuming by then the climate hasn't turned complete overcast 24/7/365 and asshole clouds are the norm.

Edited by Tulpa
  • Like 1

Yeah, we've had cloud cover coming in and out but we had about 80-85% coverage.  It's amazing and the experience of just seeing dimmed sunlight that's not at all like clouds blocking the sun is just something you have to experience.

Well, that was fun.  Back to work.

• Like 1

That was really cool.  Cloud cover threatened us earlier in the afternoon but we ended up with clear skies.  Definitely a memorable 3+ minutes.  It’s amazing how the experience changes completely in an instant and the glasses can come off.  10/10 would ride that ride again.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Events Team · Posted

The sky couldn't have been more clear in Quebec today, watched the eclipse momentarily from start to finish with the kids, it was great!

Snapped a few pics and vids of it as well, it worked through the glasses with maximum lights setup on the cam.

• Like 2

I live only a few hour drive from totality, so even though I was home, I got a pretty good view.  Skies were completely clear this time around compared to 7 years ago when it was super cloudy and I was lucky to see just a few seconds of the eclipse.  

I live in the "path of totality" or whatever the technical term is so people around here were freaking out and there were a ton of tourists who came to the area.

Unfortunately it was cloudy that day, so we couldn't actually see the sun. it peeked through the clouds a couple times, but for the most part it was a pretty cloudy day.

BUT it was still a relatively bright day, so when the eclipse happened and it got dark for a few minutes it was really creepy and a bit eerie. All in all a neat experience.

Pretty neat to just so happened to be right in it's path. 🤷‍♂️

2 hours ago, Estil said:

I got to see the almost total eclipse in 2017 and still had the special glasses left over from it...but even I forgot all about the breeze that happens when it started to get dark!

I forgot that too, it was really cool.  We notice the temperature changes in the evening, but it's so much slower.  It's crazy how, when you immediately take away the suns light, the temperature drops fast.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Estil said:

I got to see the almost total eclipse in 2017 and still had the special glasses left over from it...but even I forgot all about the breeze that happens when it started to get dark!

Be sure not to use those glasses again. They only have an effective protection life of three years. Something in the film breaks down after awhile and they become less safe to use. 

• Like 1