IGNORED

Eclipse 2024

Tulpa

Yeah, the last one in 2017, my family was ready with our glasses and we drove an hour and a half away to a town called Bravard, NC.  The skies were mostly clear and, I kid you not, about 1 minute before totality, a cloud covered the sun... and then about 2 minutes after the eclipse it passed by!

the naked gun facepalm GIF

Edited by RH
  • Haha 2
  • Angry 1

1 hour ago, RH said:

Yeah, the last one in 2017, my family was ready with our glasses and we drove an hour and a half away to a town called Bravard, NC.  The skies were mostly clear and, I kid you not, about 1 minute before totality, a cloud covered the sun... and then about 2 minutes after the eclipse it passed by!

Asshole clouds. 😡

I was planning on going to see it, but every place I could go that was reasonably priced was like, "Hyuck, overcast!"

2 hours ago, RH said:

The sad story of Guillaume Le Gentil, who missed the transit of Venus reading in 1761 because his ship was blown off course and stranded at sea for several weeks. When he finally arrived at Pondicherry, it was occupied by the British at the time. Then, in 1769 in Manila, for the second and last transit until 1874, although the skies were clear for the month before, it was overcast on the day of the transit.

When he finally got home 2 years later, his wife had remarried and his property seized as he had been legally declared dead.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guillaume_Le_Gentil

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

Once again I'm just BARELY out of totality range 😞  BTW, here is 11 year old me back during the 1991 partial eclipse; I'm the one sitting in the chair pointing...and you have no idea how ugly and geeky and dorky I felt back then and especially middle school years... 😞 

Messenger_Inquirer_1991_07_12_page_8.jpg

1 hour ago, Estil said:

and you have no idea how ugly and geeky and dorky I felt back then and especially middle school years... 😞 

Brother, you have no idea how well I can identify.  I'm not looking up to dig up the past, my I was waaaaaay at the bottom of the social totem pole in Middle School.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Estil said:

Once again I'm just BARELY out of totality range 😞  

You should still have a decent eclipse experience. If you can somehow make a trip to a totality area (that doesn't have asshole clouds), go for it, but if you can't, get some eclipse glasses (or rig up an eclipse box) and enjoy the show. 🙂  If there's an eclipse event, I recommend going to it, as they're more fun in a crowd of people.

I went to Utah and saw the annular eclipse back in October. That one was pretty damn cool. And back in 2017 a whole bunch of us at work gathered on our portico with glasses, boxes, and even things like colander spoons to see it. You could even see little crescent suns in the shadows of tree leaves.

Edited by Tulpa

9 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

You could even see little crescent suns in the shadows of tree leaves.

I felt that was the awesomest part of the whole experience.  That, and hearing crickets and bull frogs act like it was late in the evening, but it was actually the middle of the day.

When that happened I just looked at my wife with an “Aha!” Moment and I told her that it was no wonder people hundreds and thousands of years ago were freaked out by it.  The sky goes dark and everything acts like it’s late at night for 5 minutes!

I understand the temperature drops, too.

When I saw the annular eclipse, it definitely screwed with the colors of everything. Didn't notice any temperature change, but it was October in bumfuck Utah (actually, a nice little town called Richfield) and I forgot my jacket, so it was already cold. But seeing the ring of fire was awesome.

53 minutes ago, wongojack said:

Now predicting less than a 10% chance for ideal conditions in my area. Oh well.  I've already seen a lot of stuff in my life.

Oh no sir, a total eclipse is something you don't wanna miss for the world if you can at all help it.  Now this guy OTOH, had his heart set on seeing a transit of Venus (where Venus passes in front of the sun) but... 😞

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guillaume_Le_Gentil

PS: In my UK days (early 2000s) I got to see a total eclipse of the moon (moon looks red) though!

Edited by Estil
  • Like 1