IGNORED

If you could only play ONE SERIES - What would you choose?

T-Pac

lol From Software games I play for ten minutes and I’m like well fuck this shit. Stepped out of the church or whatever after the tutorial in Elden Ring and got immediately stabbed in the face by this giant gold knight on a horse and noped right out of that game. 

To be fair I did pick it up several weeks later and put a few more hours into into but still noped out of it lol

Administrator · Posted
12 minutes ago, a3quit4s said:

lol From Software games I play for ten minutes and I’m like well fuck this shit. Stepped out of the church or whatever after the tutorial in Elden Ring and got immediately stabbed in the face by this giant gold knight on a horse and noped right out of that game. 

To be fair I did pick it up several weeks later and put a few more hours into into but still noped out of it lol

*playing Breath of the Wild for the first time*

*sees a Hinox*

*approaches it, gets his face smashed in*

*never plays again*

• Haha 2

Editorials Team · Posted
1 minute ago, Gloves said:

*playing Breath of the Wild for the first time*

*sees a Hinox*

*approaches it, gets his face smashed in*

*never plays again*

My kids after dying in a game: " I want to play something eeeeelse."

Me: "Today we learn about resilience."

• Haha 2
  • Agree 3

On 2/19/2024 at 8:06 PM, T-Pac said:

Imagine you're restricted to playing games from a single series for the rest of your life.

Do you pick whatever series contains your absolute favorite game?
Something with a lot of variety between entries to keep it fresh?
Something ongoing for the chance at new games in the future?
Something with a small library to master? Or a huge library to explore?
Something you're already familiar with, or something that offers more novel experiences?

[T-Pac]

This begs the question: What constitutes a "series"? Namesake only?

Because Mario has been mentioned.... And Super Mario Bros. would potentially be my pick as well.

But where is the cut-off? Dr. Mario? Mario's Time Machine? Are Super Mario 64 & Galaxy included?

I'm assuming this is across different platforms....

On 2/20/2024 at 3:13 AM, Sumez said:

Actually yeah, I think I'm gonna be boring and go with Mario. I'd get to play both Galaxy, SMB1, 2jp, Lost Levels, Yoshi's Island, NSMBW, and even SMB2USA, and many more. That's quite a good spread at a consistent level of quality.

I think this is the best choice for myself as well. When you consider Galaxy, Odyssey, etc. then you're looking at a good variety.

Kind of bending the rules a bit? I asked above, haha. What about Mario Kart?

They're all Mario, but I would probably say they are different series'. 

Excuse Me What GIF by Bounce

On 2/20/2024 at 8:26 AM, RH said:

Mario is a good choice but I also feel that that could be a bit vague.  You’d have to mean Mario platformers because otherwise you picked a character and now you get far reaching games like Mario Golf or Tennis just because Mario is in it.

Regardless, he is in a lot of great games spanning 40 years (as I think you could count Donkey Kong as well as Mario Bros) so you’d get a lot of hours out of that.  Plus, you know Mario has a future for decades to come, as he’s basically the Mickey Mouse of the video game world.

Yeah... good point. Just expanded on it a bit myself. What's the cut-off?

Because if Mario's Time Machine is included then SIGN ME UP!

I don't want to pic Mario, but I feel like I kind of have to.  The series is just too big (especially if I cheat and include spin-offs).  The series is huge, and the spin-offs provide a large amount of variety and, in general, pretty high quality.  I feel like the other big series that I love have much smaller game libraries and picking Mario would give me more to do.  

• Like 1

My first gut reaction was Final Fantasy. Even just the mainline series is really massive with a nice variety in how the games play and feel. Theoretically you could even spend hundreds of hours into XI and XIV as well, if internet/servers were available for this. But just the single player games would already be pretty great in my book. If spin-offs were included as well, then you'd probably be looking at Final Fantasy Adventure/Legend 1-3 and all of the Tactics games!

Alternatively strategy games might be a good choice as well, like the Heroes of Might and Magic series, although I would just need 2 and 3 and maybe 4 or 5 to have a change of pace. But just 2 and 3 would provide me with countless hours of entertainment. If spin-offs were included, then Might and Magic would be a good choice, because then I'd get the mainline RPGs and the strategy games. Now that I'm thinking about this, there are also many more spin-offs that are straight up action games as well, so I'd have a nice variety.

Gotta be a series with impossible lifelong grinds like Ultima Online/Runescape/Path of Exile or something endlessly creative like Minecraft. Even the longest RPGs and most replayable action games get boring after 100s of hours. Mario would get you Mario Maker 2, which has essentially endless content and creative aspects, so that wouldn't be a bad choice.

• Agree 1

Administrator · Posted
2 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

Maybe I'd pick Runescape. After another few decades maybe I'll have time to learn how to actually PVP.

The longer you go not doing PVP the harder it gets. As our minds age and our finger dexterity dulls, we're getting farther and farther from being capable in that regard.

• Sad 1

Editorials Team · Posted
48 minutes ago, Gloves said:

The longer you go not doing PVP the harder it gets. As our minds age and our finger dexterity dulls, we're getting farther and farther from being capable in that regard.

I'm just gonna google "RuneScape HLTB" and... Oh dear God...

22 hours ago, T-Pac said:

Including spinoffs is cheating ... but I allow cheating here : )

[T-Pac]

Happy Season 4 GIF by The Simpsons

It does make for an interesting discussion, though.... Kind of an offshoot of the SMB3 vs SMW which morphed to include some SMB2 discussion.

What makes it a spinoff? 🤔 Gameplay? Lore/Actual storyline?

So....

Series = SMB, SMB2, SMB3, SMW, 64, Galaxy, etc.

Spinoff = Mario's Time Machine, Super Mario Kart, etc.....?

17 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

I feel like the other big series that I love have much smaller game libraries and picking Mario would give me more to do.  

Yup. 🤷‍♂️

16 hours ago, DefaultGen said:

Maybe I'd pick Runescape. After another few decades maybe I'll have time to learn how to actually PVP.

I don't even know what PVP is. 😳

I used the internets and.... Player vs Player? Okay... so... I knew that was a thing, just didn't know the term. PVP. I'm a noob. Unless there's a newer name for noob the kids are using.

14 hours ago, JamesRobot said:

I'll go nice and broad and say my favorite series of games is Nintendo games.  I mean, as long as we're cheating. 😉

Funny thing though, I only consider NES games to be Nintendo games.  Then you move on to Super, 64, Cube, etc, games.

Well.... now that's ACTUALLY cheating. 😅

"I only consider NES games to be Nintendo games." Haha, what the hell does that actually mean?

Like.... you just consider all NES games to be one single category? SNES, 64, etc. Each is their own "series"?

I mean... in a way it does make sense. They are completely different systems with different capabilities and sets of games. 🤔

I could certainly see a situation where categorizing the games like that is beneficial... just depends on the conversation/question I suppose. 🤷‍♂️

• Agree 1

20 minutes ago, AirVillain said:

What makes it a spinoff? 🤔 Gameplay? Lore/Actual storyline?

So....

Series = SMB, SMB2, SMB3, SMW, 64, Galaxy, etc.

Spinoff = Mario's Time Machine, Super Mario Kart, etc.....?

I'd say that a series is a set of games in a franchise that have a clear sequential order (maybe not released in that order though), while a spinoff would be anything in a franchise that does not do that. I also tend to assume that for any franchise still getting games that the main series for it is ongoing

SMB→SMB2J/SMB-USA→SMB3→SMB4 (SMW)→?→SMB Wonder

There can be entire spinoff series for larger franchises. Like calling Megaman X a spinoff of the Megaman franchise, but it having its own series at this point

What would be trickiest for me is when a franchise's main titles shift considerably in direction and the old style titles stop getting released. If Capcom stopped making classic games after releasing Megaman X and only released X games after that point, then I guess I'd acknowledge them as the main Megaman series

Events Team · Posted
30 minutes ago, AirVillain said:

Well.... now that's ACTUALLY cheating. 😅

Totally agree.  I'm not above it by any means.  

31 minutes ago, AirVillain said:

"I only consider NES games to be Nintendo games." Haha, what the hell does that actually mean?

If someone said, "Want to come over and play some Nintendo?"  I'd fully expect that we're sitting down with the Nintendo Entertainment System.  It's the unspoken law of the playground.  I don't make the rules, I just abide.

the lady in the van GIF

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, JamesRobot said:

Totally agree.  I'm not above it by any means.  

If someone said, "Want to come over and play some Nintendo?"  I'd fully expect that we're sitting down with the Nintendo Entertainment System.  It's the unspoken law of the playground.  I don't make the rules, I just abide.

the lady in the van GIF

In this context, I agree.  Only parents kept calling it playing “Nintendo” once newer systems came out.  After the NES we all just said “playing video games”.