IGNORED

If you could only play ONE SERIES - What would you choose?

T-Pac

Graphics Team · Posted

Imagine you're restricted to playing games from a single series for the rest of your life.

Do you pick whatever series contains your absolute favorite game?
Something with a lot of variety between entries to keep it fresh?
Something ongoing for the chance at new games in the future?
Something with a small library to master? Or a huge library to explore?
Something you're already familiar with, or something that offers more novel experiences?

[T-Pac]

• Like 3

Administrator · Posted

Honestly probably Call of Duty or something with a similarly high skill ceiling. CoD has the advantage of getting new games regularly, AND the old games are STILL active online. I can hop on World at War right now and there will be servers going with players on them. Then there's the competitive and ranked scene, with the potential to "go pro". 

Runescape would be another "series" which technically counts as two separate and both HUGE MMORPG games, and there's other side content you could also enjoy. The replay ability with specific builds and self-imposed challenges in Runescape, I could play for the rest of my life and never run out of things to do, assuming the service itself doesn't die. And even if it did, private servers are a thing. Endless pastabilities. 

That's a tough one. I don't think I can really say; it would probably be a decision made on the spot. A few series that come to mind:

Final Fantasy: you get a couple of MMOs and pretty good variety for an RPG series that is still kicking

Castlevania: I'm saying this because I'm currently playing through Castlevania IV again and I love that game.

Halo: I like shooters; it's pretty difficult to imagine not playing a shooter again and the first Halo game is my favorite.

Maybe it's a boring answer; I'd probably say Halo. But yeah, would be more of a spur of the moment deal.

• Like 2

Editorials Team · Posted

I imagine regardless of my choice I would probably sunset gaming as a hobby for the most part.  I'd play through the games and then move on.  So I'd say a boring choice like The Legend of Zelda.  At least I'd have time to get 100% in BotW and TotK I guess.

• Like 1

My gut is to go with an RPG series ala Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, or Suikoden, but the right answer is actually probably something multiplayer.  Especially as I’m aging, my patience for long play sessions is seriously diminished and I like something that I can fire up and be done with in like 20 minutes.  Half hour tops.  

• Agree 1

If I choose Shin Megami Tensei do I get all the offshoots like Persona and Devil Summoner? 

I think a solid RPG series like SMT/Persona would have to be my choice.

Dark Souls is another potential series I may choose just for the chance to dedicate so much time to 3 games and try and do the crazy complete conditions like using the DK bongo drums or no death naked run.

I think ultimately anything I choose would get so boring and I would grow out of playing games. So maybe the answer is no games and quit the hobby so I have more free time for something else? 🤔

• Wow! 1

I’d have to do my research but at this point it’s probably be a shmup series.

I’m with @Reed Rothchild, RPGs sound good on paper, especially Final Fantasy which had a lot of internal games built into them, but yeah, it’s getting harder and harder for me to maintain my attention for more than an hour.

Shmups are pretty easy to pick up and put down plus the replay is high since it takes me a while to get good but I can often see marked improvement.

I can't really think of a choice that wouldn't quickly become extremely tiring. I'd hate to spend the rest of my days playing nothing by RPGs for sure.

So it would have to be a series with a large selection of games with a skill ceiling high enough to get something additional out of playing them repeatedly.

Contra would be a nice contender, but I think you'd reach the potential of those games really fast. Castlevania doubly so. Maybe the Souls series if I get to include Demon's Souls, Bloodborne, and Elden Ring.
Mario would also be a solid choice. Easy games, but there's a ton of them and they seemingly never get boring.

Actually yeah, I think I'm gonna be boring and go with Mario. I'd get to play both Galaxy, SMB1, 2jp, Lost Levels, Yoshi's Island, NSMBW, and even SMB2USA, and many more. That's quite a good spread at a consistent level of quality.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Yeah Mario makes a whole lot of sense, but this question reminds me of a thought I had while playing the Halo Master Chief Collection on XBOX ONE. That collection has Halo 1, 2, 3, 4, ODST and Reach, all on one disc. I figured if I could only play one GAME ever again, it's almost impossible to think of a single game that has more content than MCC.

So, for the sake of that I'll pick halo, because I can also add Halo 5 and infinite to that bundle as well for the complete package.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OptOut said:

Yeah Mario makes a whole lot of sense, but this question reminds me of a thought I had while playing the Halo Master Chief Collection on XBOX ONE. That collection has Halo 1, 2, 3, 4, ODST and Reach, all on one disc. I figured if I could only play one GAME ever again, it's almost impossible to think of a single game that has more content than MCC.

So, for the sake of that I'll pick halo, because I can also add Halo 5 and infinite to that bundle as well for the complete package.

Valve Orange Box, maybe?

EDIT

I just looked it up and though it might be close, I thought it had more games in it than it does. It still has a lot though.

Edited by RH

Mario is a good choice but I also feel that that could be a bit vague.  You’d have to mean Mario platformers because otherwise you picked a character and now you get far reaching games like Mario Golf or Tennis just because Mario is in it.

Regardless, he is in a lot of great games spanning 40 years (as I think you could count Donkey Kong as well as Mario Bros) so you’d get a lot of hours out of that.  Plus, you know Mario has a future for decades to come, as he’s basically the Mickey Mouse of the video game world.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RH said:

Valve Orange Box, maybe?

EDIT

I just looked it up and though it might be close, I thought it had more games in it than it does. It still has a lot though.

Well yeah, but Team Fortress 2 is multiplayer online, and Portal, HL2: Ep 1 and HL2: Ep 2 are all relatively short. The only real meaty game in that bundle that would keep you going is Half Life 2, which is a lot more linear and less replayable than Halo IMO.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I was thinking an online based game because it would always be changing but I think I’ll stay with the Legend of Zelda. Legendary backlog of titles in the series and they continue to make new ones and probably won’t stop since it’s a license to print money for Nintendo.

• Like 1

On face value, I would pick either Mario or Castlevania series, as those are the 2 main ones I’ve played the most while completing a fair few of the games within the respective franchises.

On deeper thoughts, I think it would have to be a series with close to unlimited replayability. I think I would personally choose Defense Grid, a tower defense game. This is the type of game I’ve been playing mostly for the past 5 years in short bursts. Have yet to try the 2 sequels on the Xbox One as I don’t own that console. Certainly something I look forward to trying out in the foreseeable future.