IGNORED

How do you pronounce "Pokémon?"

Splain

How do you pronounce "Pokémon?"  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Say "Pokémon" in your head right now. How did you pronounce it?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

47 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

I would say Poke-uh-mon in polite company but my brain does enjoy a good Poke-ay-mon due to this 90s classic.

I’d say EE cause that’s what everyone says, but whether it’s the cartoon from the 90s, or a modern Nintendo Direct, I’ve always heard AYE.

It’s another case of “porsh” if your normal or “porshuh” if your a pretentious ad for a sports car.

Editorials Team · Posted
1 minute ago, Hammerfestus said:

When you speak loan words from your own native language while speaking a second language do you say it how you would when speaking your native language or do use a fucked up little stereotypical pronunciation in the second language?

Oh man, next let's discuss how to say Monticello.

• Haha 1

Editorials Team · Posted
3 minutes ago, Hammerfestus said:

When you speak loan words from your own native language while speaking a second language do you say it how you would when speaking your native language or do use a fucked up little stereotypical pronunciation in the second language?

Wait, I misunderstood this question. I've lived abroad before and I definitely did the stereotypical pronunciation, like everyone else. Doing it the other way, nobody understood me.

1 minute ago, Splain said:

Wait, I misunderstood this question. I've lived abroad before and I definitely did the stereotypical pronunciation, like everyone else. Doing it the other way, nobody understood me.

Me too.  It’s weird to switch back, but I was in Germany so you know fuck it let’s get a little drunken Arnold but I think I’d feel weird in some other locales.  

Administrator · Posted

The "é" literally has an accent which tells you precisely how it's meant to be pronounced. Like it's not even a debate what is the proper way, the only real question here is "how many of you pronounce it incorrectly?".

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, OptOut said:

I believe it's pronounced "poke-your-mom". 🤭

Some of my students call it "boke ay mon" or "boke ee mon". It drives me crazy.

I told them a list of acceptable pronunciations, which included "poke uh mans" and the above "poke your mom", but said I'd better not ever hear that boke ay mon crap again.