IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2024 - 661/677

YES!  I did it!  On my second 'real' attempt I beat "The Last Starfighter", wooo!!

My strats worked!  I was doing good then I bobbled in the middle but said I should just continue with it.  I ended up getting to the 2nd to last level with 3 lives, I died twice but I got another life when I beat it.  On the last level I had 2 lives, I died from a random shot from a spawn but with my last life I did it!  AND on my birthday!  What an exhilarating feeling you can only get from beating a tough NES game.  Is it hard?  Not really, I'd say its more random but my strats work!  I dont think you can use them cold but if you play the game a little and get a feel for it, I think anyone can really do it.  I tried to get a picture of the ending but it scrolled by too fast and I could only get the "Good" out of "Good Shooting Turkey" haha.  

20240306_132318.jpg

• Like 5
  • Wow! 2

2 minutes ago, guitarzombie said:

YES!  I did it!  On my second 'real' attempt I beat "The Last Starfighter", wooo!!

My strats worked!  I was doing good then I bobbled in the middle but said I should just continue with it.  I ended up getting to the 2nd to last level with 3 lives, I died twice but I got another life when I beat it.  On the last level I had 2 lives, I died from a random shot from a spawn but with my last life I did it!  AND on my birthday!  What an exhilarating feeling you can only get from beating a tough NES game.  Is it hard?  Not really, I'd say its more random but my strats work!  I dont think you can use them cold but if you play the game a little and get a feel for it, I think anyone can really do it.  I tried to get a picture of the ending but it scrolled by too fast and I could only get the "Good" out of "Good Shooting Turkey" haha.  

20240306_132318.jpg

Congrats! It's nice to see people cracking so many of the toughest NES games that nobody wants to play.  Maybe this will get done this year.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

Congrats! It's nice to see people cracking so many of the toughest NES games that nobody wants to play.  Maybe this will get done this year.

Thanks!  I mean the only reason why I tried is because it seemed so short.  So I figured with a little bit of research I could figure something out.  I also didn't need to pause buffer like TMR :).

I wanted to make a note about TMR because its so funny how people play games.  I saw him within 3 hrs from never playing Darkman to beating it and beating Durant on his FIRST TRY!  Then SMASHING thru Adventure Island in an hour!  Yet, I see him play Dick Tracy and Knightrider (Two personal favorites) and it took him like 7 hours?!  I wouldn't even consider those games NEARLY as hard as Darkman or some of the other ones he's beaten.  Fascinating. 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, guitarzombie said:

Thanks!  I mean the only reason why I tried is because it seemed so short.  So I figured with a little bit of research I could figure something out.  I also didn't need to pause buffer like TMR :).

I wanted to make a note about TMR because its so funny how people play games.  I saw him within 3 hrs from never playing Darkman to beating it and beating Durant on his FIRST TRY!  Then SMASHING thru Adventure Island in an hour!  Yet, I see him play Dick Tracy and Knightrider (Two personal favorites) and it took him like 7 hours?!  I wouldn't even consider those games NEARLY as hard as Darkman or some of the other ones he's beaten.  Fascinating. 

I guess different games are harder for different people. Usually it takes me much longer to beat something than it does TMR. I'm impressed that he could beat Heavy Barrel in under an hour and I can't beat it at all.

Edited by mbd39
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, guitarzombie said:

20240306_132318.jpg

Amazing job cracking The Last Starfighter! That game gave me SO much trouble!

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, guitarzombie said:

20240306_132318.jpg

Congrats and happy birthday!

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

I guess different games are harder for different people. Usually it takes me much longer to beat something than it does TMR. I'm impressed that he could beat Heavy Barrel in under an hour and I can't beat it at all.

Right.  I mean he was able to remember the elevator maze at the end, and like I said, took Durant out in one shot.  Ive been familiar with the game as a kid and it took me like 20 tries because you basically have to jump far enough ahead on his platform, and shoot him rhythmically so he doesn't kick of you off the side.  He was having trouble with the 2nd to last boss fighting him that way but no issue with Durant.  Just crazy.

22 minutes ago, Crabmaster2000 said:

Amazing job cracking The Last Starfighter! That game gave me SO much trouble!

Give it another shot!  Try my strats :).

22 minutes ago, BriGuy82 said:

Congrats and happy birthday!

Thank you!

3 hours ago, scaryice said:

Thanks for taking out all the Power Pad games! Dance Arobics next?

That was my intention and I just spent the better part of an hour with it. Dance Aerobics is MUCH harder than the other four Power Pad games I just did. I'll probably try it again later, but this one may be beyond my abilities.

I couldn't beat the first stages of any of the game modes, and the game doesn't seem to have difficulty settings like Athletic World or Super Team Games. I think I was even racking errors on some parts because my Size-12-wide feet were simultaneously touching more than one button at once. I'm not sure if I have enough flexibility for some of the exercises, and the musical rhythm game is really unintuitive for me.

I'm an out-of-shape, middle-aged dude (turning 40 in May...), and Dance Aerobics is far less forgiving than its sisters. I was able to cheese those by tucking my Power Pad between the legs of a chair; I would sit down over the Power Pad and be able to manipulate the buttons faster and more easily while seated. Are there any other broke-down older nerds who've beaten this and can share some tips?

The proper position to be in depends on which mode you're doing. Definitely take advantage of some heavy cheating (sitting in chair, using hands, etc.). I think it looked more like playing Twister half the time rather than actually doing what the game told me to. The pad (or mine at least) can be really sensitive and the game thinks you're pressing buttons you're not, or that you're not holding things long enough, it can turn into almost a rhythm game, trying to predict how long before the next pose or whatever.

At least one of the modes has passwords which mean you can take it in segments. Others like the simon says mode are fairly straightforward. Definitely recommend keeping play sessions relatively short, because it can be quite physically exhausting.

Thanks @Khromak. Keep the advice coming. Dance Aerobics was intimidating in a way that I wasn't really expecting after how easy the other four Power Pad games were (sans Street Cop, which was already done).

Also, Tag Team Wrestling is done.

And I may start chipping away at All-Pro Basketball soon, unless someone else has already started it or is burning to do it for the first time.

Also Also: This completion put me over 500 points for the year! It's my 8th time doing so, which ain't half bad for a down year.

Also Also Also: This completion leaves us with exactly 67 games to go. That basically means to me that we have now reached Level 10 of the challenge! (Since there are 67 10-point games...)

Edited by nerdynebraskan
  • Like 1

Hook is done. This game is basically jank city, but at least it's the kind of jank that you can get used to. After adjusting to the controls and how this game functions I was actually having some fun. Considering how late we are in this challenge it could have been much worse. That being said, Hook isn't a particularly good game either.

Hook.jpg

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

I can mess around with Bard's Tale after I take a break for a couple of days. IIRC, it's not too bad.

Looks like there are 3 Koei games left. I was trying to figure out who beat Nobunaga 2 and then looked at the list and remembered it was me a couple of weeks ago. Looks like my decline into senility is accelerating.

15 minutes ago, Daniel_Doyce said:

I can mess around with Bard's Tale after I take a break for a couple of days. IIRC, it's not too bad.

Looks like there are 3 Koei games left. I was trying to figure out who beat Nobunaga 2 and then looked at the list and remembered it was me a couple of weeks ago. Looks like my decline into senility is accelerating.

About a day ago Khromak posted that he already started this game. Maybe you should figure this out so that the game doesn't get beaten twice?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

About a day ago Khromak posted that he already started this game. Maybe you should figure this out so that the game doesn't get beaten twice?

Well, I do appreciate you telling me, so thank you. There were a lot of new messages and Power Pad talk I blew through a little quickly, so I missed that.

Ok, maybe Ultima: Warriors of Destiny then. I don't see anyone mentioning it in the last few pages, so I hope I'm safe.

Can anyone help me with Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom? I'm on wave 9 and want to cross the lava for which you need to destroy some of these weird heads popping out of the lava so that they build a bridge. However, there aré never enough of them to form a bridge to the other side. I've been waiting for them until the timer runs out, I've restarted the wave like a dozen times and even restarted the whole game, but I always have the same problem. Is there some kind of trick to this? Or did I somehow softlock myself, because I used a warp or did something wrong during this wave? The walkthroughs on Gamefaqs don't say anything about this either, only that you should bring a lot of weapons with you by rescuing lots of children. But I'm still trapped and don't know what to do.

IndyTempleDoom.png

1 hour ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

Can anyone help me with Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom? I'm on wave 9 and want to cross the lava for which you need to destroy some of these weird heads popping out of the lava so that they build a bridge. However, there aré never enough of them to form a bridge to the other side. I've been waiting for them until the timer runs out, I've restarted the wave like a dozen times and even restarted the whole game, but I always have the same problem. Is there some kind of trick to this? Or did I somehow softlock myself, because I used a warp or did something wrong during this wave? The walkthroughs on Gamefaqs don't say anything about this either, only that you should bring a lot of weapons with you by rescuing lots of children. But I'm still trapped and don't know what to do.

IndyTempleDoom.png

Did you ask the guy waving to you in the lava?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

IndyTempleDoom.png

I don't remember anything specific about that wave other than just having to wait for the heads to show up and then hitting them. I checked my video to see if I was forgetting something, but I dont have any advice. Here's a link in case it helps. The part you're stuck at is around 35:17

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, guitarzombie said:

Also someone beat Bump N Jump?  Did the requirements change? I remember that one being really tough?

It is really tough, but mbd has beaten that game for 6 straight years, so he's our resident BNJ master.

Anyway, very productive day today. I would be contributing myself, but I've been playing nothing but Final Fantasy VII Rebirth for the last week. So any NES stuff is on hold for me until I'm done with that. Then I have a brief window until Dragon's Dogma 2 releases.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2024 - 613/677
8 hours ago, guitarzombie said:

Seeing whats left, aside from obscure RPGs and long games, it seems like the biggest battles left are Arkanoid, To The Earth and Ikari Warriors.

Also someone beat Bump N Jump?  Did the requirements change? I remember that one being really tough?

Some others that are still super tough that are left are: Athena, Bill Elliot’s NASCAR Challenge, Championship Pool, Boulder Dash, High Speed, Sky Kid, Star Force, Starship Hector, Top Gun 2nd Mission and Xevious. 

I can't believe Little Nemo is still on the list. That's game is so good and not too hard. Same with Flying Dragon/Flying Warrior. Those games are fun and not super challenging. 

Edited by Crabmaster2000

1 hour ago, Crabmaster2000 said:

Some others that are still super tough that are left are: Athena, Bill Elliot’s NASCAR Challenge, Championship Pool, Boulder Dash, High Speed, Sky Kid, Star Force, Starship Hector, Top Gun 2nd Mission and Xevious. 

I can't believe Little Nemo is still on the list. That's game is so good and not too hard. Same with Flying Dragon/Flying Warrior. Those games are fun and not super challenging. 

I forgot to add "and shmups" haha.  My friend Skip loves Little Nemo.  I've seen him beat it before and it never seemed hard.  I'm not that familiar with those others, plus I don't own any of them except for Championshp Pool haha.  I only got it because it was a cheap late release game.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

IndyTempleDoom.png

Some paths just don’t work out.  I usually observe for a bit seeing if enough monsters are popping up before deciding which route to go.  

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, guitarzombie said:

Seeing whats left, aside from obscure RPGs and long games, it seems like the biggest battles left are Arkanoid, To The Earth and Ikari Warriors.

I love Bump n Jump, I beat it every year.

Star Force is another big one, just brutal. Flight of the Intruder is a 10 and has 7 pain points so that can't be good.

• Like 1