IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2024 - 662/677

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, guitarzombie said:

@scaryice It could be nice if was quick to make a list of the 'tough game expert', or a list of people who've mostly beaten the same tough game every year. 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1mtVLHFkZmpURNTAwnwL0n9i6KaEPuXl8wtsSB3gvdV0/

Check the "by person" tab to see who's beaten what every year.

That's what the pain points are for, right? Making a list of who's beaten tough games depends on what a tough game is. It's hard because sometimes those people cause the game to lose points by beating it early every year.

Edited by scaryice
  • Like 2

Bases Loaded 2 is done. Had one game left of the world series to do today, so I got a takeout lunch and finished it this afternoon. That way, when I get home tonight, I wont even have to look at that cart.

My wife wondered why I went to the basement in the middle of the work day. Hard to explain that I really enjoy the game, but I cant look at it again for a long time. 80 games is just too many. If it were 30 games, Id love it all the way through. But you start to really despise the repetitiveness of it all after like 50. And by 70, you want to take a hammer to the cart

Second image is what you get for winning the penant. Thats 75 wins to get a single still image where someone forgot to draw a face in on the player. Maybe they figured no one would actually get there anyway. And if they did, theyd be far too fatigued to notice 

20240307_121332.jpg

20240306_212505.jpg

• Like 4
  • Wow! 3
  • Love 2

On 3/6/2024 at 9:55 AM, nerdynebraskan said:

It's time for a wellness check! How is this going for you?

Well, I managed to get to the level 5 team in 3 last night. I got smoked by them, but that's at least some progress.

I have 5 wins so far in 4. It might take me a few months, but I think I finally have a rhythm with it.

22 hours ago, Daniel_Doyce said:

Well, I do appreciate you telling me, so thank you. There were a lot of new messages and Power Pad talk I blew through a little quickly, so I missed that.

Ok, maybe Ultima: Warriors of Destiny then. I don't see anyone mentioning it in the last few pages, so I hope I'm safe.

Whoops, I screwed that up. I've played this Ultima game before and it is terrible. Oh well, I'll still do it, sigh

• Haha 1

I took a break for a few years after 2017, where I just played a handful of games if at all.  Since its been a while this was the year I wanted to replay some old games I haven't touched in a long time.  With that said, I'm surprised at these # of completions I got.

9x - Knight Rider

5x - Bionic Commando / Dick Tracy / Indiana Jones (Ubi) / Swamp Thing / Zombie Nation

4x - Best of the Best / Blaster Master / Frankenstein / Last Action Hero / Maniac Mansion / Metal Storm / Predator / Bart Vs. The Space Mutants / Vegas Dream / Waynes World / Zen

I would have done Swamp Thing and Maniac Mansion already but someone beat me to it haha. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BriGuy82 said:

I'd REALLY like to make this the year I complete arkanoid...before I get too fucking old... But I'm not committing to it just yet. Maybe if I see a good deal on a vaus controller because the one I have is broke.

I've never taken any serious attempts at it with a controller, but my understanding is it's basically impossible with one. Even with the vaus controller I still find it obscenely hard, but I've not really put in enough time to really practice. Side note I looked at TMR's video for inspiration and saw him pause buffering and moving the paddle while paused (you can do this with the vaus, though you can't see where it is).

I feel you though, it's one of the white whales of the system and definitely one I'm dreading trying to actually beat. One day I'll have to actually buckle down and beat some of these really hard games...

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, BriGuy82 said:

I'd REALLY like to make this the year I complete arkanoid...before I get too fucking old... But I'm not committing to it just yet. Maybe if I see a good deal on a vaus controller because the one I have is broke.

Dont recall seeing any other 17 point games. Never played that one, but imagine its quite the bear

Edit: quoted the wrong post. Talking about flight of the intruder 

Edited by NESfiend
  • Like 1

My repeat completions were interesting to see:

7x - Star Voyager
6x - Marvel's X-Men
5x - Overlord
4x - Jimmy Connors Pro Tennis Tour, Racket Attack
3x - Advanced Dungeons & Dragons: Dragonstrike, Chessmaster, Target: Renegade
2x - Double Dragon III: The Sacred Stone, Evert & Lendl Top Player's Tennis, Hydlide, Robowarrior, Tennis

No big surprises, I guess, but I don't think I realized I did X-Men quite so many times.

32 minutes ago, Khromak said:

I've never taken any serious attempts at it with a controller, but my understanding is it's basically impossible with one. Even with the vaus controller I still find it obscenely hard, but I've not really put in enough time to really practice. Side note I looked at TMR's video for inspiration and saw him pause buffering and moving the paddle while paused (you can do this with the vaus, though you can't see where it is).

I feel you though, it's one of the white whales of the system and definitely one I'm dreading trying to actually beat. One day I'll have to actually buckle down and beat some of these really hard games...

Pause buffering, interesting. I've never heard of that before. I'll have to check out the video.

18 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Dont recall seeing any other 17 point games. Never played that one, but imagine its quite the bear

I've played it a lot. So me saying I don't think it's that difficult is probably a skewed opinion. The missions just get longer and longer at the end. That's probably what stops people from making it all the way through.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, BriGuy82 said:

FLIGHT OF THE INTRUDERPXL_20240308_003520545.jpg.94b55733dee5e1ee865a1e32cb53e854.jpgPXL_20240308_003541415.jpg.ff178429e09c70a5f3a2d9572535f2e1.jpg

PXL_20240308_003558222.jpg

This is a ten pointer with seven pain points. Perhaps the most unpopular game on the list.

How bad was it to beat? Was it very difficult or just tedious?

EDIT: Never mind. I see you already basically answered this above.

Edited by mbd39
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, bronzeshield said:

My repeat completions were interesting to see:

7x - Star Voyager
6x - Marvel's X-Men
5x - Overlord
4x - Jimmy Connors Pro Tennis Tour, Racket Attack
3x - Advanced Dungeons & Dragons: Dragonstrike, Chessmaster, Target: Renegade
2x - Double Dragon III: The Sacred Stone, Evert & Lendl Top Player's Tennis, Hydlide, Robowarrior, Tennis

No big surprises, I guess, but I don't think I realized I did X-Men quite so many times.

Is this the year that you go 5x on Racket Attack? 

12 hours ago, NESfiend said:

There's only four 17 point games:

Battle Tank, Destination Earth Star, Dungeon Magic, Flight of the Intruder

So that's all of them done. There's one other game with 7 pain points, Flying Warriors, which is still unbeaten. But it's a 9 pointer, so 16 overall.

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2024 - 615/677
On 3/7/2024 at 4:03 PM, Tablew/chairs said:

Some paths just don’t work out.  I usually observe for a bit seeing if enough monsters are popping up before deciding which route to go.  

This seems to be the way to go. There is always just one route that will lead you to the goal, but it's not always so easy to see which will lead you to the other side and which one will end in a deadend.

I've also been playing this game for 5 or 6 hours straight and I just can't beat it. Even if I get through level 9 with some luck I'm usually stuck in level 10, where there are six huge and very difficult interconnected areas where you have to find a secret entrance. Thanks to the maps on gamefaqs it's not so tough to find the right map that you have to go to, but finding the right exit without dying is crazy hard. Because once you die you have to go to three skulls and retrieve the crystal balls or whatever without which you can't open the secret exit. This is top-tier BS, because there might just be a random bat flying at you with mach speed and when it hits you, you fall down into the lava. Then of course you have to collect these things all over again and hope that you don't die again. But some of these creens are so tough to get through, that I'd rather just get a game over and hope for better luck next time. It sucks so much.

I even made it to level 11 two or three times, but couldn't beat them, because I didn't know how to retrieve the three items from the skulls. Turns out, you have to jump up when standing in fron of them. However, getting through level 11 without dying is just insane. This game is so incredibly frustrating. I might give it another go tomorrow or so, but I'm so close to giving up. This is such a terrible game.

Edited by Gaia Gensouki
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 2

34 minutes ago, Tablew/chairs said:

Solomon’s key, the crap ending but it’s done I forgot how difficult this is even when watching YouTube walkthrough videos can’t imagine having this growing up with no outside help

IMG_0889.jpeg

Wow! I tried that once and the playthroughs do make it look so easy, but I got humbled after just a couple of levels.

Edited by Daniel_Doyce

I've beaten Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, but it seems I didn't get the good ending. I assume you have to catch the guy climbing the ladder in the second part of level 12, because in the playthroughs I've seen on YouTube they got the message "YOU WIN BIG MAN", but I only got "YOU WIN". I hope it still counts. Either way, this game is awful.

Indiana Jones.jpg

• Like 2
  • Wow! 1

26 minutes ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

I've beaten Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, but it seems I didn't get the good ending. I assume you have to catch the guy climbing the ladder in the second part of level 12, because in the playthroughs I've seen on YouTube they got the message "YOU WIN BIG MAN", but I only got "YOU WIN". I hope it still counts. Either way, this game is awful.

It seems like more of an easter egg than a separate ending. Apparently you just have to whip the girl at the end, and it gives you some bonus points and adds "big man" to the ending screen.

• Like 1

I'm now 7-0 in All-Pro Basketball. I was curious, so I ran a stopwatch on one of my games. It seems like I'm at a point where I not only win every game comfortably, but I can burn through games between 17-18 minutes apiece. So the full 35 game season will take me about 10.5 hours.