IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2024 - 662/677

1 hour ago, Khromak said:

Funny you say that @BriGuy82 because I found the open space sections to be the more enjoyable part and found the side-scrolling shooter sections too difficult, which is why I gave up on trying to beat it. I am extremely bad at shooters though, so that might've played a role. Even with a save state at the beginning of each shooter stage, it still took me several attempts per level and I figured there was no chance I was going to string together all 8 of them in a row, since I could barely do 1 in a row on a good day lol.

The hardest part for me was that sometimes enemies come from the front, sometimes the back. Sometimes you can hide in the floor and avoid all the enemies, sometimes that's a death sentence. Random parts of the ceiling drop on you and you have to remember where, and sometimes you have to pick a path (up or down) and I would often slam into the ground because I'm going too fast/too slow. To me it felt like 8 highly choreographed dances in a row where if you mess up you die. The free-roaming space sections were all quite easy and I think I 1-shot all of them first try after getting the mechanics down, they were a nice relaxing change of pace between each of the highly stressful side-scrolling sections where I was sweating bullets.

This is all from memory, I haven't touched the game in a year or two.

Yeah, you gotta hope to stay powered up at the end or all your lives will just drop off. Also I made a map/key and noted which sections from each level had the enemies that would sneak from the back because those were the toughest parts. There were a lot less of those sections than I thought there was gonna be though. I think the route I took there was maybe around 10 sections throughout the entire game where they would come from behind. Which wasn't that bad.

6 hours ago, mbd39 said:

Hey, is DE worth trying? It looks intriguing to me, but I've seen a lot of negative opinions on it.

I think the brunt of negative opinions are probably from people who pop it in and have no idea what to do or even how to operate the ship in the space levels.  It's def a read the manual kind of thing in my opinion.  Personally, I thought the space levels were really cool and fun but a little too easy once I got the hang of it.  And the base (shooter) levels are pretty standard and good but the last one or two are formidable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2024 - 592/677

Faria is done, surprisingly. I was going through the final dungeon trying to grind exp and gold, made it to the final boss so I figured I'd just go for it and I crushed him. Ended up winning with an inventory full of elixirs at level 18 with a scimitar (3rd best weapon) and a wood bow (worst bow). Guess the final boss is just a total joke. Frankly some of the regular enemies in the final dungeon did way more damage to me and gave me a lot more trouble

20240229_182059.jpg

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2024 - 595/677

That last level of Destination Earthstar you just need to stick to the bottom path over and over. Just keep going down at every fork. I avoided more than half of the flying atom enemies I saw in other people's play throughs on YouTube. If you still have the guns that can clear the ground just keep digging into the ground to clear those cannons that shoot up in the air.

• Like 1

I'm currently working on Air Fortress and managed to finish the first loop. I remembered this game being pretty good, albeit very difficult. However, I forgot just how difficult this is! Certain levels in the latter half of the game are just BS. The time limit for escaping is extremely tight in some levels and enemies are so numerous that they really gang up on you. On some screens I can't even make it out of the elevator, because the barrage of projectiles knock me back into the elevator. Then there are these humanoid enemies that absolutely devastate your HP within seconds if you're not careful. I'm using the maps on gamefaqs for orientation and I've started to write down the appearances of these enemies so that I can prepare myself and deal with them without losing too much HP. Still, it's so tough.

For Level 8 on the first loop it seems to be necessary to clear the escape route (the green line on the gamefaq's map) so that you don't have to fight against too many enemies. Even if they slow you down for a mere few seconds, this can already be enough to not be able to escape. And considering how long and difficult these later levels are, it absolutely blows if you run out of time seconds or milliseconds before arriving at the space ship.

A trick to move faster is by using the knockback that your laser weapon causes. So you don't fly in the direction that you want to move at, but instead you face the opposite direction and just shoot away like crazy. Also, don't forget to keep afloat, because when you're walking on the ground you're slower. This technique works especially well when you're navigating tight corridors.

For one of the levels I've also used a different route than what they're recommending in the maps. In Level 6 (1st quest/loop) after beating the boss you have to take the pipe 8A that leads you to 8B. They then recommend going along the single path to the left and up. But I've found this to be too slow and dangerous. So instead I went back again into the pipe (3A) which sent me back to the start of the level (3B). This route is not only faster, but also safer since you've probably already killed all enemies there.

Anyway, I'm just writing this down in case anybody in the future could use some of this as help. I'll grind through the rest of the game later. If memry serves me right the second loop shouldn't be much more difficult. I hope that my memory is correct.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2024 - 597/677

What you describe is exactly what I love about Air Fortress. The later levels are so punishing, but they reward methodical planning, and if you do what you need to do, you'll make it out just in time.

And I think Air Fortress plays 95% fair...though that last 5% is frustrating.

You're exactly right about pre-clearing certain areas in your escape route, too. Definitely a must.

If it weren't so brutal, it wouldn't be nearly as satisfying to win!

• Like 3

Air Fortress is done! This was a tough one. The second loop was indeed a bit more difficult at times, but at this point you have the game hopefully figured out, so that it's a bit smoother than the first half. During level 8 of the second loop I cleared the escape route again and I somehow got lucky, because none of the humanoid enemies respawned. It all worked out really well by the end.

Air Fortress.jpg

• Like 3
  • Wow! 1
  • Love 1

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2024 - 599/677
3 hours ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

Air Fortress is done! This was a tough one. The second loop was indeed a bit more difficult at times, but at this point you have the game hopefully figured out, so that it's a bit smoother than the first half. During level 8 of the second loop I cleared the escape route again and I somehow got lucky, because none of the humanoid enemies respawned. It all worked out really well by the end.

Air Fortress.jpg

Congrats! This is one I had as a kid and never came close to beating it. I remember it being extremely difficult.

1 hour ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

Thanks! And it definitely is very difficult. I can't imagine how a child was supposed to beat this.

Not sure exactly how old I was when I first beat Air Fortress, but based on my list of beaten games (which I've been keeping since 1990 or so), I guess I was about 15. I don't remember making maps at the time but I definitely needed to make them the next time I beat it.

• Like 1

Conquest of the crystal palace is done. The hardest part of this game is the spike ceiling and the two final bosses. This time, I got the spike ceiling on the second try or so, first final boss on second try, and final boss on the first try. Because of this, it was WAY  faster than any other clear I've ever done. It's a fun enough game, but some sections are kinda BS unless you know some tricks

20240302_201007.jpg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Khromak said:

Conquest of the crystal palace is done. The hardest part of this game is the spike ceiling and the two final bosses. This time, I got the spike ceiling on the second try or so, first final boss on second try, and final boss on the first try. Because of this, it was WAY  faster than any other clear I've ever done. It's a fun enough game, but some sections are kinda BS unless you know some tricks

20240302_201007.jpg

This one was also on my list.  I dont remember it being that hard, but its possible I brute forced it if it has infinite lives.

Anyway, I have about 3 maps make for Last Starfighter.  Then I can start finding routes and strats.  Oddly looking back at my footage, some of the latter levels I beat really quickly without knowing anything, but some of the mid-levels (like level 8 ) seemed to have taken me a long time to remember.  The last level is also pretty easy too, oddly.