IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2024 - 662/677

20 hours ago, Khromak said:

Conquest of the crystal palace is done. The hardest part of this game is the spike ceiling and the two final bosses. This time, I got the spike ceiling on the second try or so, first final boss on second try, and final boss on the first try. Because of this, it was WAY  faster than any other clear I've ever done. It's a fun enough game, but some sections are kinda BS unless you know some tricks

20240302_201007.jpg

I remember having to do a lot of farming for money on the last level which became tedious.

There's a secret move where if you attack while changing direction you deliver a much more powerful sword blow. This does quick work against he final bosses and that's how I was able to beat it.

21 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

I remember having to do a lot of farming for money on the last level which became tedious.

There's a secret move where if you attack while changing direction you deliver a much more powerful sword blow. This does quick work against he final bosses and that's how I was able to beat it.

Oh yeah, this basically describes my previous attempts. Spending a long time farming money so I could buy the (increasingly expensive) extra lives to get a bunch of attempts in a row. Then dying 3-5x in a row on one of those 3 (spike ceiling and 2 bosses) and going back to the start, with no money, expensive extra lives, a small health bar, and having to go through the whole palace again.

This time I was really fortunate. I still had a small health bar which was sketchy AF for the bosses, but I got through that section with just the ~5 lives I had the money to buy.

I definitely took major advantage of the "back slash" by turning around after slashing. Learned that trick from a speedrunner/guide video online when I was getting blasted by that end section some time ago.

Mad Max is done. What a tough game. Especially the final boss is still a run-killer for me. Even after having beaten this game two or three times already I'm still always on the edge when fighting him. And if you die during the fight you have to go back two levels and replay roughly 20 minutes or so until you get another chance against him.

Mad Max.jpg

• Like 4
  • Wow! 2
  • Love 1

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2024 - 601/677

Dragon Power is done. I started over from the beginning to get that power-up from Shen Long, so that I can have 250 max health. However, due to the randomness of the health items even that didn't help too much, because I just would barely get any health power-ups until I eventually died. Ultimately, I had a really lucky run just now where I got two cakes in the last level, i.e. restoring 100 points of my health each. So it was more dumb luck combined with a bit of skill, that made me win the game. The luck factor is definitely what ruins this game for me. It would have been an okay game otherwise, but this kills any interest for me in replaying Dragon Power anytime soon. Also, notice the shameless plug at the end.

Dragon Power.jpg

Edited by Gaia Gensouki
  • Like 1
  • Wow! 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

Ultimately, I had a really lucky run just now where I got two cakes in the last level, i.e. restoring 100 points of my health each.

That sounds identical to my own winning run! Maybe that's what it takes to win this game, as simple as that -- favorable RNG, with little hope otherwise.

Speaking of randomness, did you ever trigger the weird cutscene in Level 3 that restores your health? I only ever got it once, but on this one occasion, out of nowhere the game cut to an exterior scene of a building or something like that, while the palette shifted to mimic a sunset. Then I was kicked back into the main area with full health.

It was the oddest thing, and I've never seen it documented anywhere! And I have no idea what triggered it, though I have some vague memory that it came after being indoors somewhere. I've played that level dozens of times, at least, and only that once did it happen (on an emulator FWIW).

3 hours ago, bronzeshield said:

Speaking of randomness, did you ever trigger the weird cutscene in Level 3 that restores your health? I only ever got it once, but on this one occasion, out of nowhere the game cut to an exterior scene of a building or something like that, while the palette shifted to mimic a sunset. Then I was kicked back into the main area with full health.

No, I don't think I ever got that one and I had to repeat Level 3 quite a lot. Would be interesting to replicate that however.

Faxanadu is done! I remembered I have a NES to famicom converter so I played on my twin famicom, but the colors seemed slightly off. Played fine though and I'm back on CRT baby! Anyway there's not much to say about this one, I've done it a few times before, it's alright. The key mechanics would make a blind play quite frustrating I think, but I don't really enjoy blind plays anyway so no skin off my nose

20240305_050324.jpg

• Like 2

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2024 - 605/677

Related to my earlier post, checked with some other consoles and it seems the colors are just off on my TV, so that's fun! Took off the shell to put together a list of capacitors and noticed a wire was loose. Decided I'm going to do the cap kit anyway so the TV is out of commission for a while.

I'll probably still try to make progress on either The Bard's Tale or Bases Loaded using my flat panel for the time being.

I can't catch a break this year!

3 hours ago, guitarzombie said:

Also what are the conditions for Gold Medal Challenge?  I don't own the game, but I've played it a lot with friends.  Is it just to come as #1 with the most medals at the end?

That's right. Just gotta have the highest medal count at the end. Hope your good at button mashing!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crabmaster2000 said:

That's right. Just gotta have the highest medal count at the end. Hope your good at button mashing!

Is that why its so tough?  I always played it against my friend and we used turbo buttons.  Also I have NO idea how to win the Marathon.  Neither of us have ever gotten close to beating it.  I thought I did last time I played it but somehow came in like 4th.  Its RIGGED!!!

• Haha 1

I messed around with bases loaded for a little bit, but the batters were hitting my "perfect pitches" about 25% of the time, so I think I wasn't doing it quite right. I also couldn't get a single run in like 4 innings so it seems I suck at batting.

I'll probably come back to it later, but for now, I started up my bard's tale party, naming them after the top 6 in the current standings. Funny enough, the wizard ended up being a wizard, and guitar ended up being a Bard.

20240305_194112.jpg

Edited by Khromak
  • Haha 1

On 1/25/2024 at 2:17 PM, McBryce said:

Anyone have any tips/strategies for Bases Loaded 3 and 4? I’m trying to take them both down this year.

I’ve played a few games of 3 and gotten absolutely nowhere.

It's time for a wellness check! How is this going for you?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but with Greg Norman's Golf Power, do you have to get on par or is it enough to just play a round of 18 holes? My best result so far was +10 at the end.

Yeah, that's all we've required. I'll go ahead and mark you down for it then.

I've played the game a few times, and last time I decided to play against a cpu opponent and beat them. But, you can just give yourself a huge handicap so it isn't any harder. Maybe we should require something like that in the future, still...

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2024 - 608/677