IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2024 - 662/677

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2024 - 588/677
6 hours ago, Tablew/chairs said:

I thought there was maps for it online? The worst part is the later levels where you have to like snake your way through the barriers cause you either don’t turn around fast enough and smash into the barrier or you do turn around and immediately there’s ships there that blow you up

I found some for "Uridium" but the levels don't match up to whats in the NES game.

Dirty Harry: The War Against Drugs is done. One of the worst and most despicable games I've ever played. From the infamous Hahaha room to the 30+ minute long first level to all the shit that they're throwing at you all the time or constantly having to retread certain passages just because you've missed a jump or someone shot you down from the telephone wires ... I absolutely despise this game. 1 out of 10. Never again.

Dirty Harry.jpg

Edited by Gaia Gensouki
  • Like 1
  • Wow! 1
  • Haha 2

37 minutes ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

Dirty Harry: The War Against Drugs is done. One of the worst and most despicable games I've ever played. From the infamous Hahaha room to the 30+ minute long first level to all the shit that they're throwing at you all the time or constantly having to retread certain passages just because you've missed a jump or someone shot you down from the telephone wires ... I absolutely despise this game. 1 out of 10. Never again.

Dirty Harry.jpg

This was on the backburner for me when I was feeling desperate haha.  Dont have to worry about this one.

28 minutes ago, guitarzombie said:

This was on the backburner for me when I was feeling desperate haha.  Dont have to worry about this one.

Don't worry. There's still plenty of tough games left. Speaking of which, Last Starfighter might be just as difficult as Dirty Harry if not even more so.

I've spent about 8 hours working on Gauntlet, probably 6 of which have been on the 79-100 section. During this process I broke one of my NES (probably slamming the reset button too hard). Fuck this game. I'll probably get it eventually, but that last section is such utter bullshit I can't possibly put it into words.

• Love 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I hope that NES isn't fully broken and that you can still repair it or get it repaired.

I've been trying the past few hours to beat Dragon Power. It didn't seem too bad at first. Maybe very janky and not all that great, but still doable thanks to unlimited continues. However, once you've reached the last four levels, you don't start over at the level where you've died, but you always have to repeat these four levels. This gets pretty difficult since you lose HP over time and the power ups, including the HP refills, are randomized. So you're always at the mercy of the RNG.

I'm considering if I should maybe reset and try again from the start. After all, you can wish for something after level 6, which you can use to get a one-time upgrade of your max health. This could be just the boost that I need to finish the game. But always having to start from the very beginning with every try seems excessive. Does maybe anyone, who's beaten this game previously, have any advice?

Edited by Gaia Gensouki

1 hour ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

I've been trying the past few hours to beat Dragon Power. [...] Does maybe anyone, who's beaten this game previously, have any advice?

I've beaten it once, and I'm pretty sure I didn't continue from Level 7 on. My winning run relied on favorable RNG, including a couple of very helpful health drops in the last level, without which I would have failed.

Dragon Power will absolutely screw you over if it doesn't feel like giving you health items, and I have a hard time imagining a winning run that doesn't take advantage of the max health increase -- you're already on enough of a knife-edge as it is.

Edited by bronzeshield

7 hours ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

Don't worry. There's still plenty of tough games left. Speaking of which, Last Starfighter might be just as difficult as Dirty Harry if not even more so.

Yea but remember, I don't have an everdrive, I use real carts.  So I only have about 7 games that I own that haven't been beat yet and I've only beaten 3 of them before.  Last Starfighter doesn't seem to be hard, but needs to be memorized.  Then when memorized could be beaten easily every time, I think.

Thats why I wanted to create some maps, and follow a route after replaying the level over and over again to see what works.  If I can get those maps made, I bet anyone could follow it and beat it.

2 hours ago, Khromak said:

I've spent about 8 hours working on Gauntlet, probably 6 of which have been on the 79-100 section. During this process I broke one of my NES (probably slamming the reset button too hard). Fuck this game. I'll probably get it eventually, but that last section is such utter bullshit I can't possibly put it into words.

I hope you have all the stat upgrade potions. If not, then it's better to start over.

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2024 - 590/677

Made pretty good progress in Destination Earthstar. Practiced by separating the side scrolling planet stages to play them all consecutively without the interruption of the space levels. Once I can consistently beat them all I'll go for the completion with the space levels. The game is generous with the extra lives, but the difficulty like gradius and most other shooters etc., is loosing your upgraded guns and being fucked on that last level.  Especially trying to shoot a path through all the falling obstacles blocking your way.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2024 - 591/677
20 hours ago, BriGuy82 said:

Made pretty good progress in Destination Earthstar. Practiced by separating the side scrolling planet stages to play them all consecutively without the interruption of the space levels. Once I can consistently beat them all I'll go for the completion with the space levels. The game is generous with the extra lives, but the difficulty like gradius and most other shooters etc., is loosing your upgraded guns and being fucked on that last level.  Especially trying to shoot a path through all the falling obstacles blocking your way.

Hey, is DE worth trying? It looks intriguing to me, but I've seen a lot of negative opinions on it.

37 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

Hey, is DE worth trying? It looks intriguing to me, but I've seen a lot of negative opinions on it.

Lol, I don't know. I think the game is just "ok". The side scrolling shooter levels are the funnest part of the game and they seem under-developed. The weapons and power ups are boring. Same with the enemies and bosses... boring. The real killer is when the outer space levels get longer and longer and kills the momentum of the game. I'm glad I tried it though. But it's no gradius or life force etc... the monotony is what kills it. Not the difficulty IMO.

• Like 1

Funny you say that @BriGuy82 because I found the open space sections to be the more enjoyable part and found the side-scrolling shooter sections too difficult, which is why I gave up on trying to beat it. I am extremely bad at shooters though, so that might've played a role. Even with a save state at the beginning of each shooter stage, it still took me several attempts per level and I figured there was no chance I was going to string together all 8 of them in a row, since I could barely do 1 in a row on a good day lol.

The hardest part for me was that sometimes enemies come from the front, sometimes the back. Sometimes you can hide in the floor and avoid all the enemies, sometimes that's a death sentence. Random parts of the ceiling drop on you and you have to remember where, and sometimes you have to pick a path (up or down) and I would often slam into the ground because I'm going too fast/too slow. To me it felt like 8 highly choreographed dances in a row where if you mess up you die. The free-roaming space sections were all quite easy and I think I 1-shot all of them first try after getting the mechanics down, they were a nice relaxing change of pace between each of the highly stressful side-scrolling sections where I was sweating bullets.

This is all from memory, I haven't touched the game in a year or two.

• Like 3

Dragon Warrior IV is done. The game is obviously great, but maybe a little bit too long. I'm still not a fan of the companions being AI controlled though. You can't rely on them as healers during combat and they never ever use buffs or debuffs, which would have been nice during certain boss encounters. I got killed by the final boss and had to grind a few levels. When I reached levels 40-43 I attempted him again and barely made it.

My group consisted of Alena, Mara and Nara. Alena is pretty much the GOAT later on in the game since she constantly deals critical hits and can even attack twice with the right weapon. So she was my most reliable damage dealer. Mara was a decent mage, but rather useless during the final phase of the boss as he reflected magic. Maybe Ragnar would have been better. Nara was my healer, but she turned out to be pretty awful. I should have chosen Cristo, but I used him the last time and wanted to try out something else this time.

Dragon Warrior IV.jpg

Edited by Gaia Gensouki
  • Like 4
  • Love 1