IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2024 - 662/677

Been playing through Golgo 13 today, just got to the final mission, got through the water level and died in the base. Then I got hit a couple times in the water section so I figured I'd just kill myself to get my health back to full.

Lo' and behold, there are limited continues. Wish I'd known, I might've been more careful. After continuing 20+ times, I figured there were infinite continues. NOPE! 52 continues. What a load of shit.

I'll probably jump back into it after I've had time to cool down again. It's a fun (enough) game, but damn does that burn my ass. Spent HOURS getting through this game only to be sent straight back to the beginning.

• Haha 2

51 minutes ago, Khromak said:

Lo' and behold, there are limited continues. Wish I'd known, I might've been more careful. After continuing 20+ times, I figured there were infinite continues. NOPE! 52 continues. What a load of shit.

🤣 I read this like six times in a row and broke at the punchline every time.  Fifty-two!  One for each week of the year I suppose...  Sounds a bit frustrating, so I do hope that I'm laughing with you!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I beat wizards and warriors iii, this game I like even though I despise the first two. I don’t remember having problems with the final boss before but for whatever reason I did this time, lost my lives and then had to replay the entire game but I find it enjoyable if you know where to go.

IMG_0696.jpeg

• Like 3

Just finished Golgo 13 on my second attempt. God damn that last boss is an asshole. I watched a video of someone doing it on YouTube and they seemed to kill everything in about half as many shots as it took for me. Maybe my aim was slightly off or I wasn't timing it right, but it was stressful as hell and took me probably 10 tries. Every time I died I was expecting it to say end. Not gonna lie, if I game overed I was ready to give up on this one. 

Golgo13.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, scaryice said:

Going through Nintendo World Cup again now. It's 90% waiting around - score 1 goal, then knock out the other team's player and just set the controller down until half time/full time.

It's finished. There were a few matches where I actually had to play. Final scores:

1-0 Cameroon
1-0 Japan
1-0 France
1-0 Russia
1-0 Spain
2-1 England
2-1 Mexico
16-14 United States
3-2 Brazil
2-0 Netherlands
9-5 Italy
11-7 West Germany

PpL7YPq.png

• Like 2

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2024 - 584/677

I dunno why but i'm thinking about The Last Starfighter.  I may not finish it, but it may get a worse rap in difficulty than it really needs.  Not saying its great or super easy, but not impossible.  This is why:

First off its about 15 levels and a speed run took about 10 mins.  It seems like you don't even have to destroy anything, you just have to wait a certain amount of time, then land.  So your only real obstacle is flying into things. 

If you have the levels mapped out, you can learn where to avoid them, and just kind of kill time before landing.  Landing IS weird and i'm still getting the hang of it using infinite lives.  But this could be one of those games thats actually much easier if you map out the routes to take and can land consistently.  I'll play around with it more and see if my opinion changes.

12 hours ago, Khromak said:

Rainbow island is done again, really quite fun but some of the movement mechanics can get a bit frustrating at times and the final level is pretty tough. 

20240223_021952.jpg

The last level definitely has some really frustrating parts and that levels music specifically kills me. The fourth world too, I’ve always struggled 

On 2/15/2024 at 7:04 AM, the_wizard_666 said:

For the first Bases Loaded?  There actually is.  It's detailed in the guide on GameFAQs, but basically with specific pitchers, it's possible to perfectly pitch strikeouts.  Using those particular pitchers, you use one pitch for the first 50 pitches (until strike two of the second batter of the sixth inning) and switch to another specific pitch.  I only got about 18 games in back in 2022, because it's incredibly boring, but it's absolutely doable if you care to grind it out.

Couldn't find this guide on Gamefaqs, do you have a link? I skimmed through the only (AFAIK) NES guide on the site and couldn't find any details of this (which team/pitcher to use, which pitch to use).

1 hour ago, Khromak said:

Couldn't find this guide on Gamefaqs, do you have a link? I skimmed through the only (AFAIK) NES guide on the site and couldn't find any details of this (which team/pitcher to use, which pitch to use).

I wrote up the specific exploit I found here: http://takeontheneslibrary.com/finished/46-bases-loaded/

There may be a better one with a better team out there, however.

• Thanks 1

Does anyone know if there's some kind of compatibility issue with Little Ninja Brothers and the Everdrive N8? I've started four different games with three different ROMs in the last few days, and the game keeps crashing about 20 minutes into my game during random encounter battles. It's really starting to irritate me.

It's weird, because I've beaten Little Ninja Brothers on my Everdrive before. I do remember it having some instability, and that I previously may have had more success with some ROMs better than others.

I think I'll also start Conflict again.

Edited by nerdynebraskan

4 hours ago, Khromak said:

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/nes/587113-bases-loaded/faqs/30570

It's under "Special Pitcher Trick." Hawaii has two pitchers that can do it, which is ideal since you have to rotate between games.  Using passwords after each game can offset this as pitcher rotation isn't saved, but if you want to play multiple games in succession, inputting the password after each game is not ideal.

• Like 1

Does anyone know how to make good NES maps?  I wanted to make some of "The Last Starfighter" but it seems to be a bit tricky, unless I just have to savestate-screenshot then stitch together the photos.  Maybe someone can make them?

I played a bit with infinite lives, and with that, I could replay the levels over and over again and write out a 'path' for the level that will give a high degree of success.  Then eventually by replaying the game you could beat it. 

• Love 1

1 hour ago, the_wizard_666 said:

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/nes/587113-bases-loaded/faqs/30570

It's under "Special Pitcher Trick." Hawaii has two pitchers that can do it, which is ideal since you have to rotate between games.  Using passwords after each game can offset this as pitcher rotation isn't saved, but if you want to play multiple games in succession, inputting the password after each game is not ideal.

Can confirm I used this trick when I beat it for the competition a few years ago.

Edited by Daniel_Doyce

4 hours ago, guitarzombie said:

Does anyone know how to make good NES maps?  I wanted to make some of "The Last Starfighter" but it seems to be a bit tricky, unless I just have to savestate-screenshot then stitch together the photos.  Maybe someone can make them?

I played a bit with infinite lives, and with that, I could replay the levels over and over again and write out a 'path' for the level that will give a high degree of success.  Then eventually by replaying the game you could beat it. 

I thought there was maps for it online? The worst part is the later levels where you have to like snake your way through the barriers cause you either don’t turn around fast enough and smash into the barrier or you do turn around and immediately there’s ships there that blow you up

16 hours ago, mbd39 said:

I this the fastest progress ever? Under 100 games left in February.

We were 3rd fastest to 500 & 550 games. We're on pace to be the second fastest to 600. Fastest is 2/24 in 2015, second is 3/13 in 2021 (a year we didn't finish it).