IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2024 - 662/677

Peter Pan & the Pirates is done. A suprisingly short and easy game for a 9-pointer this late in the challenge. The biggest difficulty comes from learning the awkward jumping and flying controls and then the later pirate ships levels, where you can pretty much hardlock yourself, if you're not careful.

For jumping you have to keep pressing the A button to get this really slow and floaty jump, but it's sufficient for most of the game. If you keep pressing the A button and up on the d-pad, then you can fly, but you will slowly drain your energy. This becomes relevant later on, because on the pirate ships you have to fly at certain points to get from ship to ship. Unfortunately, once your flying energy is depleted and you can't find any refill, it's pretty game over. Your flying energy refills after dying, but the refills scattered throughout the level don't. So that's the biggest hurdle later on. The flying is also rather awkward and hard to describe. You have to play it for yourself, to understand how weird it is. My recommendation would be to just rely on your jumping as much as possible and if you want to fly, then try to jump up straight and fly up. I feel like this gives you more control over where you want to fly to and you can even go through obstacles that are above you, like a plank or something to reach a power-up or a pirate or something.

The objective during the levels is to kill all pirates within every level. The exact number is diplayed in the upper right corner. You can only advance once they're all dead. Wow. What a violent children's game. Mass murderer Peter Pan even says, that it's fun being himself with a big grin on his face. What a psychopath. Anyway, the treasures that are scattered throughout the levels basically give you health. The upper left number on the screen is your health and you can stock up on it to some ridiculous degree. At some point I had over 200 health and enemies usually take 1 or 2 health points from you. So the actual enemies are laughable. The real challenge is not dying in any of the pits which is why you have to get used to the jumping and flying controls. Once you do, the game is actually somewhat decent. Or maybe my standards are so low at this point, that even a generic platformer feels good right now.

Foxs Peter Pan.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Gaia Gensouki said:

Peter Pan & the Pirates is done. A suprisingly short and easy game for a 9-pointer this late in the challenge. The biggest difficulty comes from learning the awkward jumping and flying controls and then the later pirate ships levels, where you can pretty much hardlock yourself, if you're not careful.

For jumping you have to keep pressing the A button to get this really slow and floaty jump, but it's sufficient for most of the game. If you keep pressing the A button and up on the d-pad, then you can fly, but you will slowly drain your energy. This becomes relevant later on, because on the pirate ships you have to fly at certain points to get from ship to ship. Unfortunately, once your flying energy is depleted and you can't find any refill, it's pretty game over. Your flying energy refills after dying, but the refills scattered throughout the level don't. So that's the biggest hurdle later on. The flying is also rather awkward and hard to describe. You have to play it for yourself, to understand how weird it is. My recommendation would be to just rely on your jumping as much as possible and if you want to fly, then try to jump up straight and fly up. I feel like this gives you more control over where you want to fly to and you can even go through obstacles that are above you, like a plank or something to reach a power-up or a pirate or something.

The objective during the levels is to kill all pirates within every level. The exact number is diplayed in the upper right corner. You can only advance once they're all dead. Wow. What a violent children's game. Mass murderer Peter Pan even says, that it's fun being himself with a big grin on his face. What a psychopath. Anyway, the treasures that are scattered throughout the levels basically give you health. The upper left number on the screen is your health and you can stock up on it to some ridiculous degree. At some point I had over 200 health and enemies usually take 1 or 2 health points from you. So the actual enemies are laughable. The real challenge is not dying in any of the pits which is why you have to get used to the jumping and flying controls. Once you do, the game is actually somewhat decent. Or maybe my standards are so low at this point, that even a generic platformer feels good right now.

Foxs Peter Pan.jpg

I've always kind of liked this one, although I haven't played it all the way through.  Also, I read somewhere, or maybe it was a youtube I watched, about how the original story of Peter Pan in book form was really dark and Peter was portrayed as a distinctly villainous character luring children to their fate or something like that, while Captain Hook was more of a misunderstood good guy...

• Like 1

I've started Flying Warriors on hard mode. This seems to be a rather long game and will probably take me some time. Grinding out a few levels at the beginning definitely helped with surviving enemy encounters, but it still doesn't trivialize them since some of them can hit really hard.

Well, some good news on my end, I got my CRT back up and running with fresh capacitors! In the end, the culprit might've just been an unplugged cable, but for only like 30 bucks i got some insurance against future problems with 55 new capacitors. Still have to fix my NES though so for now I'm still doing my NES gaming on the flat screen.

The bard's tale is going great, I'm around level 21 and working on grinding levels and new gear while making my way through the final dungeon. Should be done tonight or tomorrow at the latest

20240309_022823.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2024 - 619/677

Good job guys.  I think for me my time is pretty close to the end here, as I don't have much to offer left.  The only games listed I own are:

Alpha Mission

Captain America

Championship Pool

Formula 1 (I think?)

James Bond Jr.

Jungle Book

Kings of the Beach

Silkworm

Star Force

and out of all of those, the only one I've beaten previously is James Bond Jr.  I may give that one a crack at some point.  If I get my hands on a Gold Medal Challenge I could do that, as I enjoy the game.

Started on bo Jackson baseball. It's actually not a bad game, so that's a pleasant surprise. I thought about starting a bases loaded season but I just can't do it. The playing the whole game from the pitchers perspective hurts my brain.

10 hours ago, guitarzombie said:

Good job guys.  I think for me my time is pretty close to the end here, as I don't have much to offer left.  The only games listed I own are:

Alpha Mission

Captain America

Championship Pool

Formula 1 (I think?)

James Bond Jr.

Jungle Book

Kings of the Beach

Silkworm

Star Force

and out of all of those, the only one I've beaten previously is James Bond Jr.  I may give that one a crack at some point.  If I get my hands on a Gold Medal Challenge I could do that, as I enjoy the game.

I don't know... it looks like you have plenty you could keep busy with to the end of this challenge, if you want to. As someone who has beaten The Mutant Virus, you're probably capable of beating any of these except for maybe Championship Pool. It's a toss-up between CP, Arkanoid, and Ikari Warriors for the hardest game left on the board.

The only ones on this list that I've beaten are Captain America and Kings of the Beach. Captain America is not horrible, but it gets repetitive and the difficulty can be aggravating once you get west of the Misssissippi River. But as long as you know where you can farm extra continues, you can generally play the game for as long as you like. Kings of the Beach is pretty brutal, but it has a password system so you don't have to do it all in one sitting.

I've also reached the final boss of Silk Worm. That game is pretty manageable until the last stage; its difficulty is average at worst in the first 75% of the game. But that last level... yikes. I can't tell you how much I hate how the invincible missiles suddenly spray bullets in multiple directions as well in the last stage.

1 minute ago, BriGuy82 said:

Started on bo Jackson baseball. It's actually not a bad game, so that's a pleasant surprise. I thought about starting a bases loaded season but I just can't do it. The playing the whole game from the pitchers perspective hurts my brain.

Bo Jackson Baseball and Tecmo Baseball remind me of Bases Loaded, but are both mercifully much shorter. I hope you played around with the options menu in BJB; you can reduce the number of games in each series and even the length of games to six innings (I believe). Just watch out for the goofy team select menu options between games. It's easy to select the wrong team. I'm partial to playing that game with the Chicago-A (not-White Sox); BJB is one of several NES baseball games that had no license with MLB and/or the MLBPA, but very clearly modeled its clubs and rosters on the contemporary MLB. Bo Jackson is hidden on a few teams, but since he actually played for the White Sox at that point he's right there in the starting line-up of the totally-not-White Sox of Chicago-A.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nerdynebraskan said:

Bo Jackson Baseball and Tecmo Baseball remind me of Bases Loaded, but are both mercifully much shorter. I hope you played around with the options menu in BJB; you can reduce the number of games in each series and even the length of games to six innings (I believe). Just watch out for the goofy team select menu options between games. It's easy to select the wrong team. I'm partial to playing that game with the Chicago-A (not-White Sox); BJB is one of several NES baseball games that had no license with MLB and/or the MLBPA, but very clearly modeled its clubs and rosters on the contemporary MLB. Bo Jackson is hidden on a few teams, but since he actually played for the White Sox at that point he's right there in the starting line-up of the totally-not-White Sox of Chicago-A.

I didn't even think to check the options lol. I will now. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, nerdynebraskan said:

I've also reached the final boss of Silk Worm. That game is pretty manageable until the last stage; its difficulty is average at worst in the first 75% of the game. But that last level... yikes. I can't tell you how much I hate how the invincible missiles suddenly spray bullets in multiple directions as well in the last stage.

The Mexican Runner had to use save state practice for the last boss. That looks like where most of the game's high difficulty comes from.

1 hour ago, mbd39 said:

The Mexican Runner had to use save state practice for the last boss. That looks like where most of the game's high difficulty comes from.

It's the fast, invincible missiles that are bullshit. They start from the first level, but they multiply like rabbits by the last stage. And in the last stage, they also spam bullets all over the screen, too. That last boss is kind of a classic distraction boss. You need to concentrate your fire there, of course, but the real danger is from the missiles. And reaching that boss is a chore because those missiles are all over the last stage.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nerdynebraskan said:

I don't know... it looks like you have plenty you could keep busy with to the end of this challenge, if you want to. As someone who has beaten The Mutant Virus, you're probably capable of beating any of these except for maybe Championship Pool. It's a toss-up between CP, Arkanoid, and Ikari Warriors for the hardest game left on the board.

The only ones on this list that I've beaten are Captain America and Kings of the Beach. Captain America is not horrible, but it gets repetitive and the difficulty can be aggravating once you get west of the Misssissippi River. But as long as you know where you can farm extra continues, you can generally play the game for as long as you like. Kings of the Beach is pretty brutal, but it has a password system so you don't have to do it all in one sitting.

Theres a reason why I haven't beaten these haha.  I remember getting to the VERY end of Kings of the Beach with my friend in 2 player.  We had a ton of fun, but its comforting to know that its just that challenging at the end.

• Haha 1

Bard's tale is done, and our party was more badass than any of my previous parties. Got a lot of exp and awesome items diving the final dungeon, including TWO staves offering in and out of combat heals, which I'd never seen before. Turns out they eventually break though... had a lot of charges or a low chance to break.

20240310_183300.jpg

• Like 3
  • Wow! 1

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2024 - 621/677
On 3/10/2024 at 12:26 AM, guitarzombie said:

and out of all of those, the only one I've beaten previously is James Bond Jr

I feel you on this one. I own all the games on the list and several flash cartridges, but I've never beaten any of the games left on the list at this point, except games that other people are currently working on.

If you want to take the rest of the year off, no problem 😉

I keep going back through the list and trying to pick out games I want to try to beat. I've got a decent list now, but they're all pretty tricky. I'm sure I'll crack a few of them eventually, though my progress will definitely be significantly slowed down based on the list we have and my lack of experience with them.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Khromak said:

I feel you on this one. I own all the games on the list and several flash cartridges, but I've never beaten any of the games left on the list at this point, except games that other people are currently working on.

If you want to take the rest of the year off, no problem 😉

I keep going back through the list and trying to pick out games I want to try to beat. I've got a decent list now, but they're all pretty tricky. I'm sure I'll crack a few of them eventually, though my progress will definitely be significantly slowed down based on the list we have and my lack of experience with them.

Yeah, I might have to!  Ill see how it turns out.  Its unfortunate that my points list is 'limited' since I only use games I own, but, I specifically chose only certain games because I would rather have a smaller and impressive collection, than taking up a lot of space.  I COULD get an everdrive, but then why own the carts in the first place?

10 hours ago, guitarzombie said:

I COULD get an everdrive, but then why own the carts in the first place?

Ultimately there isn't a very compelling practical reason to collect carts if we're being honest with ourselves. I have a pretty decent collection of various systems but other than nostalgia or cover art, there's no reason to have those physical products haha. 

I agree though, despite having flash carts, I still prefer to play on the original cart any time I can. 

I will say it is nice to use save states, to practice games in sections or to "save" your game between play sessions 

Edited by Khromak

5 hours ago, Khromak said:

Ultimately there isn't a very compelling practical reason to collect carts if we're being honest with ourselves. I have a pretty decent collection of various systems but other than nostalgia or cover art, there's no reason to have those physical products haha. 

I agree though, despite having flash carts, I still prefer to play on the purification cart any time I can. 

I will say it is nice to use save states, to practice games in sections or to "save" your game between play sessions 

Practical and compelling do not go hand in hand. I agree its not practical. But compelling? We are all playing NES games 30 years after they came out. There is clearly a big nostalgia factor for NES players in 2024 and the hardware goes a long way in that respect. The carts and controllers score high in the nostalgia aspect. They are cool as hell. Perusing the shelves of carts and picking a game still gives me a lot of pleasure. 

That said, I have a flash cart and there are great uses for that too. And gameplay wise, it does make zero difference. I was against the whole idea, but a canadian fellow who runs this site encouraged it for the weekly contests and its great. At my age, I dont need to keep adding carts for filler. Shelves are plenty full. But if I try something on the flast cart and love it, I will grab the cart at a minimum and maybe a CIB copy. Its a free test run and you can load many games at once. For me, it creates excuses to go shopping for carts and boxes based on what really lands with me

Edited by NESfiend

I'm currently at the endgame of Flying Warriors and have real trouble with the bossfights. There's basically a boss rush similar to one of the Wily stages in Mega Man, but imagine the bosses having twice as much HP and dealing at least twice as much damage. And whenever you die against just a single one of these bosses, then you have to redo ALL of them. This has me really scratching my head. Also, if I want to have even a remote chance of beating these bosses, I have to grind for money to buy healing potions, but this takes quite a bit of time. So every new attempt at these takes me easily an hour or so only to get buttstomped by the final boss.

The gameplay during the bossfights is something like Simon says, i.e. the game shows indicators if you can attack, where to attack or when to defend. Generally not a bad idea, but for some reason my commands aren't executed most of the times. At the beginning I didn't have this problem and got through these fights fairly well, but now I hardly have a chance and I don't know what's the reason for this. Maybe the time for inputting a command is increasingly shorter? Or maybe you have to input a very specific attack? There's plenty of options, like kicks, punches, several special attacks and later on even spells. But the spells haven't worked for me a single time since the enemies are always defending. I've looked at longplays of this game and there it worked without problems. Maybe I'm still doing something wrong? Or do I need ALL of the mirrors and Dragma? I've missed one mirror and potentially one Dragma, because they were hidden and I can't get back anymore to get them unless I restart the whole game.

Either way, the last third of this game has gotten extremely grindy and unfairly difficult. I've been gnashing my teeth both today and yesterday for roughly 5 hours each, but it didn't work out yet. I'm considering using my password to continue playing on real hardware with my Everdrive in the slight hopes that maybe the delay from the emulator messes things up.

• Like 1