IGNORED

Favorite games that you've never finished

Rhuno

What are some of your favorite games that you just never got around to completing? Any particular reason why?

For me it's Adventure Island II, The Guardian Legend and Battletoads.

They're some of my favorite games, but I've never been able to finish them. I don't really have an excuse, I'm just not good at them. But hope springs eternal, as they say. 😄

Halo. I've played missions here and there, but I don't think I've beat every mission, much less in order. Tried playing them for the backlog challenge some time ago, but the first Halo campaign is so slow, wide open and takes a but to make progress. I'd like to do co-op campaign for the games that have it, but planning it out is another thing. One day.

Multiplayer is where it's at for me in Halo.

• Like 1

Chrono Trigger

I started it on an emulator around 2005 and then started again on the PSP (also emulator) around 2010. Both times got about halfway through and never finished. Then I bought a complete copy on eBay for $109 (remember those days?) with the intentions of getting to it eventually but then sold it recently for $800 before I even played it.

I'm hoping it comes out on Switch so I can actually play it all the way through.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

Chrono Trigger

I started it on an emulator around 2005 and then started again on the PSP (also emulator) around 2010. Both times got about halfway through and never finished. Then I bought a complete copy on eBay for $109 (remember those days?) with the intentions of getting to it eventually but then sold it recently for $800 before I even played it.

I'm hoping it comes out on Switch so I can actually play it all the way through.

If you don't want to wait and are looking for a non illegal rom...

images(8).jpeg.6e3f1d33f34afd941039d144900154e3.jpeg

It's how I first played it.

2 hours ago, Kguillemette said:

If you don't want to wait and are looking for a non illegal rom...

images(8).jpeg.6e3f1d33f34afd941039d144900154e3.jpeg

It's how I first played it.

I have 3 Super NES and 2 Analogue Super NT, the medium isn't the problem. It's just the time to set up the old console and get into it, I'd rather just have it on a modern and portable console for convenience.

It's not a favorite, but I think since it's so many others it's a stand out, but Chrono Trigger.  I've never taken it much beyond the Magnus/boss with large Chains in the area stage whatever that was.  I just get played out on caring to push it further than that, not sure if it's knowing it has many endings or just the time travel thing runs thin but I can't finish it yet enjoy it until I just suddenly don't.  Played this one only on SNES, DS and have it on the cheap on my phone too so access isn't an issue.

I mean there are others, but when adulting, kid, wife, lack of energy and time kicked in I never left a game unfinished, that's why I put that there above.  I'd run into the pages character limit for a post if I had to put names down on too many systems worth of games I only have picked up in the last 10-15 years.

If price on CT is a concern to anyone, $10 usually on ios/android, often hits a 50% off sale which is when I snagged it.

Edited by Tanooki

16 hours ago, Webhead123 said:

I've actually never reached the end credits for Donkey Kong Country 2...

That's on my list of games to play coming up. I've never actually played it very much, but am looking forward to it. I enjoyed DKC a lot as a kid and played through it again fairly recently.

13 minutes ago, rdrunner said:

Shadow of the Colossus.  Been sitting on just 4 completed fights for years.  Good stuff, I just don't take the PS2 out very much. 

I finished that game for the first time earlier this year. I didn't like it at first, but the more I played, the more I enjoyed it.

14 hours ago, DarkTone said:

Fuck it. I'm gonna add hollow knight to the list. Right now I'm not sure if I want to go back to it or not. 

I haven't finished that either, although I'm not sure it would go on any "favorite" list of mine. It's been a couple years since I lasted booted it up but I just remember feeling very middle-of-the-road about it. I don't recall thinking it was deficient in any particular category. In fact, it seemed quite well-made. However, I also don't remember really being that blown away by anything it was doing, which is probably why I ended up getting distracted by something else, putting it down and then kind of forgetting about it.

Edited by Webhead123

Ignoring games that have no ending, and games that can be "finished" but also 100% cleared (if you have ridiculous amounts of free time...), I submit these as three groups.

1. Games I like well enough but don't like enough to finish.

Includes games like Godhand, Demon's Souls, and Makaimura (series)

Often times I think "oh, this game is cool, and I like what they do, but I don't want to play for too much." Another version of this is "I play it but only some of it" like Streets of Rage 2, which I basically just play the first level of and then quit because I hate the bridge level.

2. Games that are just really difficult to finish and I haven't gotten there yet

Includes games like La-Mulana (freeware version), Dragon Slayer IV, and Wizardry Trilogy

They are games on my list of games I want to beat but they are really tough to figure out. Also includes arcade games with endings that I cannot beat on Hardest yet, such as Space Harrier, Power Drift, and Gain Ground. (Does this kid REALLY like Sega arcade or is he just a poser? Hard to say...)

3. Games I am working on and just haven't gotten the right mix of time and tenacity needed to finish

This includes games like Mario Clash, WildCard, Picross DS (and so many other Picross games), Hotel Dusk, the list goes on really. Ton of games that I like or love but haven't found the time to finish yet.

When it comes to games that i will just never 100%, there's ones like Lost Planet 2 and Mario Kart DS. The latter, I think I have just six more 3-star grand prix finishes to get, but I just can't be damned to do that, especially now that my hands can't do the snaking anymore. Pretty sure you have to have a time machine and no life to 100% LP2, those games from the earlier days of online/achievements have nightmarish things like "be the best in the world in this game mode" or "beat a developer in online play" which are basically impossible outside of a small window of time. For LP2 there are a lot of random co-op ones, not to mention noms de guerre which is obnoxious to 100%. I don't get anything out of that, since achievements are just a boolean flag on a save file, so I'm okay with never getting all of those.

The white whale is definitely La-Mulana. I will probably never beat that game. They say it's impossible without spoilers, but I worry about spoiling too much if I look up answers.

On 11/11/2023 at 9:00 PM, Kguillemette said:

I've always wondered why the FFC version is so hated. The modest load times here and there?

The "modest" load times everywhere. It's super frustrating having to wait around every time you want to use the menu, enter a new area, or get into battles, and it actually affects how you play the game.

One of the biggest appeals of CT that made it so approachable to a lot of people was how unintrusive the battles were. The PS1 version completely screws up that aspect.

Edited by Sumez

Graphics Team · Posted

One of my all-time favorite games that I never finished is Kwirk [Game Boy].

The last few puzzles just got too tough for me, and unfortunately I'll probably never solve them since I don't want to just look up the answers and ruin it for myself.

But at least I got to enjoy 80-90% of the game, and I can live with that.

[T-Pac]

On 11/13/2023 at 8:46 AM, T-Pac said:

One of my all-time favorite games that I never finished is Kwirk [Game Boy].

The last few puzzles just got too tough for me, and unfortunately I'll probably never solve them since I don't want to just look up the answers and ruin it for myself.

But at least I got to enjoy 80-90% of the game, and I can live with that.

[T-Pac]

¡You Can Do It!  

I love that game.

I just wish the sequels weren't so outrageously expensive.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wongojack said:

I can relate - I made myself finish it just a few years ago.  It was mostly worth it.  It probably has the best story of any Elder Scrolls game.

I agree, although I haven't played the first two so it's not possible to say that with absolute certainty. Its definitely the best of the three I've played.

• Like 1