IGNORED

VGS Cooking Club: The Grilled Cheese (Nov. 2023)

Gloves

Administrator · Posted

That's fair.  To be honest, I don't eat that much vegan cheese.  I can't eat regular cheese, but I don't eat that much vegan cheese either - some of it is ok, some of it is meh.

I like the 'Chao' one reasonably ok, and there are a few others that are ok.  I just don't use a lot of 'cheese' in general in anything anymore, as even the vegan options aren't particularly all that healthy, so it really just depends.

Grilled cheese of any kind isn't really something I'd probably make any more, but I'll do one for this club - I'm curious to try that Violife feta that Link mentioned since he said it was good.  It wasn't at my local store when I checked this weekend, so I'll check around.

3 minutes ago, spacepup said:

That's fair.  To be honest, I don't eat that much vegan cheese.  I can't eat regular cheese, but I don't eat that much vegan cheese either - some of it is ok, some of it is meh.

I like the 'Chao' one reasonably ok, and there are a few others that are ok.  I just don't use a lot of 'cheese' in general in anything anymore, as even the vegan options aren't particularly all that healthy, so it really just depends.

Grilled cheese of any kind isn't really something I'd probably make any more, but I'll do one for this club - I'm curious to try that Violife feta that Link mentioned since he said it was good.  It wasn't at my local store when I checked this weekend, so I'll check around.

We have all the violife cheese at work. The slices are on sale for $4.75. I’ll pick up some of that and see what happens. 

On 11/10/2023 at 7:51 PM, Murray said:

I like the fact that @Link has an extensive repertoire of grilled cheese photos ready to go. 

Mainly because National GC Month/Day (April/12) is a thing I found out about, and I’m in a sandwich group on facebook

Here’s my first thing made original for this thread. Grilled cream cheese on an inverted everything [skinny] bagel. With pepper and garlic. 

IMG_4437.jpeg.60ee19ccd8ca8c55aea3c936273f3e65.jpegIMG_4438.jpeg.d313c445f0d570594abcedcdf0b3ea90.jpegIMG_4440.jpeg.6637059987083e8eb74db8573c3ea272.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Wow! 4

14 minutes ago, Link said:

Mainly because National GC Month/Day (April/12) is a thing I found out about, and I’m in a sandwich group on facebook

Here’s my first thing made original for this thread. Grilled cream cheese on an inverted everything [skinny] bagel. With pepper and garlic. 

IMG_4437.jpeg.60ee19ccd8ca8c55aea3c936273f3e65.jpegIMG_4438.jpeg.d313c445f0d570594abcedcdf0b3ea90.jpegIMG_4440.jpeg.6637059987083e8eb74db8573c3ea272.jpeg

Looks like Flintstones car wheel

Okay here's another grilled cheese, had it with lunch, nothing better than grilled cheese and some daytime drinking before work.

Threw in some Mos Burger Chinese sauce I had lying around. Also used butter this time around, tea oil is really expensive, though it's fun to play with now and then.

IMG20231113181408.jpg

IMG20231114122027.jpg

IMG20231114122929.jpg

IMG20231114122919.jpg

• Like 2
  • Wow! 1
  • Haha 1

So I was planning on making something else tonight and trying to figure out what "vegetable" to have when I found a couple of small Eggplants in the fridge that I'd forgotten about.  Then while preparing to batter and bread them for the oven I thought: "It might be fun to try putting them in between the cheeses in a grilled cheese when they're done.  Actually I started thinking about texture in a grilled cheese after the whole cream cheese/avocado thing turned out so well and I remembered how eggplant, when you do it this way gets nice and crispy all around the outside and has this really nice soft creamy texture inside.  So anyway, I made some Italian Spice to add to bead crumbs along with parmesan cheese and baked 'em on a baking sheet at 375˚ for a short while and then flipped them over and put them back in the oven for an even shorter while.

The thing I might try experimenting with in the future is varying the width of the eggplant slices.  Previous times, I've used a large eggplant and made slices that were a 1/2" or more which, 1, takes a longer bake time and 2, yields that creamier texture (I think.)  Since these eggplants were skinny I cut the slices more like 1/4" or a hair more and the creamy texture wasn't quite all there but they still went great in the sandwich.  In fact, I feel like they gave the sandwich a meaty sort of texture and believe it or not, a meaty sort of taste as well which I really enjoyed.  Would have been good to have had this experience back when I was a Vegetarian!

Anywhoz, I added a sautéed Thai Chili again (I think it needs more like 2 or three) and a large dab of Pesto in the middle of the sandwich.  Cheeses were Asiago slices and some shredded cheddar, and finally, I had some egg yolk left over so I added some onion/garlic powder and spooned it onto the outer bread surfaces before frying.

Also, I remembered the pickle this time.  If it looks odd it's probably because it is an Armenian Cucumber which is kind of interesting if you like cukes.  It's a really cool lighter green with a very hardy outer surface.  I don't think the flavor is as good as more typical looking varieties of cucumber but it still makes just as fine a Pickle.

Eggplant b4&Aft.png

Cut.png

• Like 2
  • Wow! 3

22 minutes ago, Richardhead said:

Those are my breakfast. I’m up to almost 30 pills a day. Plus some beet crystals, psyllium husk, mct oil and greens supplements.

I don't want to derail this but now I'm really curious, the benefits of taking so many vitamins. Maybe I should start, too? Hmm

@SilverspoonGaming how are you doing? I know you said you’re not very experienced in cooking but you are interested. Have you tried anything on this yet? This whole club is just to encourage and show & tell for people who have this interest. And while innovative ideas are fun, no one should worry about operating in a simpler fashion. There is nothing wrong with a basic dish (like shredded cheese on toast then microwaved like I used to do bitd for this thread). 

I am hoping you can do something and will share it with us. And I’m sure anybody here will be willing to give advice, answer questions, share info, etc. We are here for each other. That said, if you are not comfortable showing or satisfied with something you made there is nothing wrong with lurking and it’s cool if you just wanna chill too. 

Edited by Link
  • Agree 1

56 minutes ago, Link said:

@SilverspoonGaming how are you doing? I know you said you’re not very experienced in cooking but you are interested. Have you tried anything on this yet? This whole club is just to encourage and show & tell for people who have this interest. And while innovative ideas are fun, no one should worry about operating in a simpler fashion. There is nothing wrong with a basic dish (like shredded cheese on toast then microwaved like I used to do bitd for this thread). 

I am hoping you can do something and will share it with us. And I’m sure anybody here will be willing to give advice, answer questions, share info, etc. We are here for each other. That said, if you are not comfortable showing or satisfied with something you made there is nothing wrong with lurking and it’s cool if you just wanna chill too. 

Agreed. Tomorrow night I’m gonna do a plain grilled cheese. White bread and American cheese. It’s gonna be amazing!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Richardhead said:

Agreed. Tomorrow night I’m gonna do a plain grilled cheese. White bread and American cheese. It’s gonna be amazing!

Hell yeah. There’s a reason that was the first thing featured in my 5 figure post that BlackVega hates. Looking forward to seeing yours!

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Link said:

Hell yeah. There’s a reason that was the first thing featured in my 5 figure post that BlackVega hates. Looking forward to seeing yours!

I’d have done it tonight. But I don’t eat American cheese or white bread these days. So I’m gonna pick some up at work tomorrow. Of course it’s going to be organic though. Makes it healthier 😂

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Richardhead said:

I’d have done it tonight. But I don’t eat American cheese or white bread these days. So I’m gonna pick some up at work tomorrow. Of course it’s going to be organic though. Makes it healthier 😂

Mmm, organic plastic cheese and organic gasoline-baked squish bread. 😋