IGNORED

Game Debate #178: Grand Theft Auto V

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences, NOT HISTORICAL SIGNIFICANCE

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite games of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer f'ing game. Everyone should play it.
    • 8/10 - Great game. Easy to recommend.
    • 7/10 - Very good, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy occasionally playing it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to play.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not very good.
    • 2/10 - Pretty crappy.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Desert Bus of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your genitals than play this.
    • Never played it, but you're interested.
    • Never played it, never will.
  2. 2. Next week's poll

• Superman (1999)
    • Batman Arkham Asylum
    • Spider-Man (2018)

Same as ZF, between a 9 or 10. I'd probably settle on a 9.5. Probably one of the best GTA imo. Yeah GTA 3 and San Andreas are awesome too but the story in this game is amazing.

It starts a little slow but once it gets going I couldn't stop playing it. I love the intertwining of the stories, the missions are fun and the characters are all well fleshed out. It's going to be hard for them to top this one.

I've never played the online component and have no desire to. If I was a kid I probably would be playing it with my friends though, I can 100% see why the online is as big as it is. But I'm old and don't have time to waste playing it online 😂

I never did find myself drawn in by the GTA franchise overall, although I've dabbled in a few of them across the years. Where I found my niche with the genre was more Saint's Row (specifically Row 3 but also a bit of 2). GTA V was the one GTA game I put the most effort into. It was okay and entertained me for a few hours but at some point I lost interest and didn't really care about any of the main characters. There was nothing specifically wrong with the game play either. It was all perfectly serviceable. I suppose it just takes a unique hook for me to continue to spend time in most open world games and GTA was always just kinda vanilla.

Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction...now there's an open world game I could spend hours upon hours goofing around in (and have)!

GTA V...passable. I understand why some people love it but it lacked the chutzpah and absurdity of Saint's Row 3.

5/10...Fight me.

Edited by Webhead123

It's not my thing, though I get sucked in by the hype every time. New GTA hits, review scores are through the roof, I buy it thinking it's gotta be great. I'll play it for a couple hours and realize I just don't get it.

I really liked GTA 3 when it came out, but it was so different from everything else out back then. Vice City had a fun setting, but since then it's just felt like more of the same to me.

GTA V is the only GTA game in the main numbered series that I wasn't able to get into.  It seems like an ok game, but I never understood the level of praise it received compared to anything else.  It always felt like the game was considered a level above all other video games, and I just don't see that.  

5 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

It always felt like the game was considered a level above all other video games, and I just don't see that.  

Its always like that with GTA, and has been at least since 3 or vice city. 

They somehow managed to market their product to a ""normie"" segment way beyond the typical videogame crowd, which makes it come across like much much more than it is if you just navigate by the hype. 

And they just announced that the next GTA game is on its way, so now that hype train is gonna roll on again, and it's gonna be just as exhausting all over again 🤣

Moderator · Posted
1 hour ago, Sumez said:

Its always like that with GTA, and has been at least since 3 or vice city. 

They somehow managed to market their product to a ""normie"" segment way beyond the typical videogame crowd, which makes it come across like much much more than it is if you just navigate by the hype. 

And they just announced that the next GTA game is on its way, so now that hype train is gonna roll on again, and it's gonna be just as exhausting all over again 🤣

Or it’s just that people genuinely like them. 

“it’s not me it’s the -190 million of you”-Sumez

• Agree 1

Never been a fan of GTA. Closest I ever came was Vice City, which as it turns out I only liked the 80s theme of it, not much more. I understand why people like them, and if I had more free time I'd love the open world exploration of it. I know I did back when Vice City was relatively new. But the games just don't appeal to me. I gave it 5/10 which is probably harsh, because like I said it's a good game, just not for me.

I've tried to like this series.  I'd say I enjoyed GTA III the most, but I actually didn't play it until it was kind of old.  I REALLY tried with San Andreas, but I just couldn't get into it.  Tried a little less but still valiantly with GTA IV - couldn't keep it going.

I'd say that there is probably something about the storytelling in these games that just doesn't do it for me.  It's like that movie that everyone can't stop talking about and you're like "Oh, yeah I think I saw that when it came out" - except you never thought about it again while the rest of the world built their whole lives around it.

I'll probably play GTA V someday, but I still haven't managed to play Red Dead II, and I absolutely loved the first Red Dead.

Moderator · Posted
2 hours ago, Sumez said:

It's ok to like them. But like, there's no way they are like four times better than everything else coming out. 

I think if you've played more than four games, you wouldn't think that's a particularly hot take 😛

Agree with a ridiculous exaggeration? Seems like an exercise in futility. 

• Agree 1

Events Team · Posted
6 hours ago, Sumez said:

It's ok to like them. But like, there's no way they are like four times better than everything else coming out. 

I think if you've played more than four games, you wouldn't think that's a particularly hot take 😛

I challenge you to find a single member of this site who has played less than four video games in their life

10 hours ago, ZeldaFreak said:

I challenge you to find a single member of this site who has played less than four video games in their life

Well, according to people's inputs in this thread I'm also very much not alone in my takes on the series 🙂

No matter how popular it is, there is just no way the level of hype it always attains is representative of what the games achieve compared to all other video games coming out.

Edited by Sumez