IGNORED

🎮 Do you like playing games on modern consoles?

FireHazard51

Modern Gaming  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Do you enjoy playing games on modern consoles?

• Of course! Game designs/stories improve with every console (generally speaking)
    • I play both and wouldn't say any modern console is better than the "old" consoles.
    • Consoles peaked when I was a "kid", I don't like any modern console.
  2. 2. What modern consoles do you own?

• Nintendo Switch
    • Xbox One/X/S
    • PlayStation 4/5
    • None of the above

Editorials Team · Posted
16 minutes ago, Sumez said:

As much as I agree on your takes about not needing all of that crap introduced in many modern games, there is no lack of games also coming out today that go in the direct opposite direction of that. 

If you stopped at the x360, you have definitely missed out on a lot. 

The best (and worst) of all the worlds

21 minutes ago, Sumez said:

As much as I agree on your takes about not needing all of that crap introduced in many modern games, there is no lack of games also coming out today that go in the direct opposite direction of that. 

If you stopped at the x360, you have definitely missed out on a lot. 

I'm only allowed to play games I've already played from this point on so I'm literally not missing anything.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

For those who still don't know me... The answer is yes.

Just not with Sony. I had issues with them during their PlayStation 3 days. To the point I did something that had their lawyers call me up to say that they were going to look into the HafuGirl issue (that many were bringing up for months in their forums). And using their consoles ended after my second attempt at owning a PlayStation 4, which turned out to be a boring experience.

But past that? I do miss the simplicity of an older controller. But I love the fact that I can play both modern and retro games on a single console. With my only complaint with Nintendo is that they do not offer Dragon Warrior I-IV as part of their online service offerings.

On 11/5/2023 at 2:39 PM, FireHazard51 said:

398822872_AtariAgeOffMyLawn.jpg.c91aa071

Came across this old drawing from @T-Pac and made me question how many of us Sages are "modern" gamers. 

After seeing it again for the first time in a while, I'm asking the important question; When are we getting t-shirts of this? Even just the sage on his skateboard would be sufficient for me. @T-Pac

On 11/23/2023 at 10:00 PM, YOURTURN said:

For those who still don't know me... The answer is yes.

Just not with Sony. I had issues with them during their PlayStation 3 days. To the point I did something that had their lawyers call me up to say that they were going to look into the HafuGirl issue (that many were bringing up for months in their forums). And using their consoles ended after my second attempt at owning a PlayStation 4, which turned out to be a boring experience.

But past that? I do miss the simplicity of an older controller. But I love the fact that I can play both modern and retro games on a single console. With my only complaint with Nintendo is that they do not offer Dragon Warrior I-IV as part of their online service offerings.

You know, I wanna bring up one complaint about classic game download/stream offerings that is hitting me nowadays, which is that I can't port my old saves from some of these games. Sure, NES/SNES games it doesn't matter much, because they're short, or because they have passwords, but some of those N64 and even GBC/GBA unlocks would be pure drudgery to do twice, and I shudder to think of it if we ever have GameCube to contend with. I know it's basically impossible, and really I should live with it as it is and play the cart I have on the console I still own, but if you're gonna sell me on having N64 games, it would be nice sometimes to have an "I already did this shit" option and just get a 100% save loaded in. No way am I gonna have time to unlock all of the Mario Tennis star characters and extra courts a second time. Then imagine if you had to do something like get all the emblems in sonic adventure 2 again. Save me from that nightmare, please!

Graphics Team · Posted
10 hours ago, koifish said:

After seeing it again for the first time in a while, I'm asking the important question; When are we getting t-shirts of this? Even just the sage on his skateboard would be sufficient for me. @T-Pac

I feel like there was a discussion about expanding the VGS T-Shirt offerings a long time ago, but it never panned out.

Maybe someday, but I'm probably not the right guy to ask. I do the doodles, not the sales haha.

[T-Pac]

I definitely don't play as many modern games as i used to. Really kept up with it till the PS4 era. I think Elden Ring is the last game i even played on PS4 & maybe God of War & Last of Us 2 before that. Switch i still play all the time but not really for modern games besides Nintendo titles. I do plan to get a PS5 for GTA6 but i haven't felt the need or want till now.

Editorials Team · Posted
3 hours ago, D~Funk said:

I definitely don't play as many modern games as i used to. Really kept up with it till the PS4 era. I think Elden Ring is the last game i even played on PS4 & maybe God of War & Last of Us 2 before that. Switch i still play all the time but not really for modern games besides Nintendo titles. I do plan to get a PS5 for GTA6 but i haven't felt the need or want till now.

Returnal

• Agree 1

I kinda play everything, but I answered "Of course! Game designs/stories improve with every console."  I answered that way because I have deep nostalgia for Atari, Nintendo, and Commodore, but really the modern console and PC offer tons of classic games AND modern games done in a classic style that are very compelling.  It is hard to say that the Commodore 64 was better when I can play the entire library on my PC.  Or I can find many games inspired by classic titles that will just play right in a browser.

If we are limiting things to consoles then those have a huge variety of classic games as well.  Plus you get access to games like Return to Monkey Island, Shovel Knight and Sea of Stars that are debatably better than anything that came out bitd.

What's really interesting (for me) is that in the past 12 months or so, my gametime on classic systems really took a dip.  That's because I went on a binge of playing (really trying out) a ton of games in my Steam/itch/GoG libraries that are around 120mb or less.  There are so many new games out right now that mimic or directly build on classic titles that it is almost like the entire inventory of classic games gets recreated every few years.  Lots of great experiences "out there."

Anyway, I fluctuate wildly depending on my mood.  I'll probably spend the first few months of 2024 playing Atari 5200 and Genesis arcade ports.  Then again, I might finally get into the Oculus.

Oh, and I'm one of the few who seems to own both XBox and Playstation but doesn't own a Switch.  I just don't really have a need for portability.  I do have a Wii U though.

Yes, of course I do. I've been playing video games since the '80s, and have played them on consoles, computers (I once had an Apple II, and still have some games for it like Bubble Bobble), handhelds, and in Arcades and like modern gaming as well. I love the Switch, have had it since 2017, play some of its games online, and am probably going to keep buying games for it several years from now.

That being said, I do like retro games and systems more. I had more fun playing Super Mario Bros. 35 than a lot of other Switch games. The NES was, is, and always will be my favorite game system.

Edited by MegaMan52