IGNORED

Meme You Just Have to Share

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, Tulpa said:

430652844_10231933574026479_7290071275421331319_n.jpg

I'm sure they are including IRAs and 401Ks.  It depends on the millennials polled, and depending on how they worded the questioning, you could have $200k in a retirement savings, but still have a $250k to pay on that $350k mortgage, which mean's your net worth is -$50k, excluding any other assets you might own.  Regardless, that example individual has "$200k" in savings (plus whatever's in their bank account.)

I know it's suppose to be a joke, but I can't stand random statistics thrown out like this.  You can imply anything if you don't give specific details.

16 minutes ago, RH said:

I'm sure they are including IRAs and 401Ks.  It depends on the millennials polled, and depending on how they worded the questioning, you could have $200k in a retirement savings, but still have a $250k to pay on that $350k mortgage, which mean's your net worth is -$50k, excluding any other assets you might own.  Regardless, that example individual has "$200k" in savings (plus whatever's in their bank account.)

I know it's suppose to be a joke, but I can't stand random statistics thrown out like this.  You can imply anything if you don't give specific details.

That is only true if the house for which you hold a mortgage is worth $0.  

1 minute ago, B.A. said:

That is only true if the house for which you hold a mortgage is worth $0.  

It depends on your perception but a fair point.  Homes have equity, for sure, but in my personal life, I don't (or should I say I haven't) counted much in the value of fluctuating home values or equity because not only did 2008 happen once, but it could happen again.  Having a secure job to pay for a mortgage is good but if the housing economy dips and you lose your job, you could find yourself being near-underwater and/or might have to foreclose.

I know that circumstances vary and people use more common metrics, often hoping for the best, but our family has basically treated our finances like "the worst is possibly right around the corner" and it's worked out well in the long run.  This means I put little value in what a market may declare my home as worth and I evaluate our assets against worst-case scenarios if they need to be sold or utilized.

I agree that you are right by pretty normal standards, and I apologize for that misrepresentation.  But the truth is that for me, when debt is involved, I deeply under value anything I own, realistically or conceptually, that could be seized through foreclosure or repossession and this is deeply engrained in the way I look at money and object value.

Reminds me of the time I was at a dog park with my dog, and someone else brought in a Jack Russell. I overheard the following:

"Is that what you call a Jack Daniels?"

"You mean, a Jack Russell?"

"Yeah. Wait, what did I say?"

429801424_10232793998296368_8357138181886682089_n.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, TrekMD said:

So, what's your score?  I got all of them...

48M05D9.jpg

HEY, who hacked into my Drive account and stole the check list of things my kids have to do before graduating my homeschool?!?!?!

10 hours ago, TrekMD said:

48M05D9.jpg

I was born in 1985 and I've done everything on this list with the exception of Columbia House because even as a kid I could tell it was a scam. I imagine even people born in 88-89, deep into millennial territory, could say the same.

• Disagree 1

52 minutes ago, Aguy said:

I was born in 1985 and I've done everything on this list with the exception of Columbia House because even as a kid I could tell it was a scam. I imagine even people born in 88-89, deep into millennial territory, could say the same.

It wasn't a scam.  I bought well over 100 CDs through them (maybe 200) and my average cost per CD was never more than $5, which at the time, made it the cheapest way to buy new music.  

• Agree 2

12 hours ago, TrekMD said:

48M05D9.jpg

I had CompuServe instead of AOL (because it was half the price), but other than that, I've done everything on the list.  

Edit:  I remember now that I later had a AIM account with an AOL address, so I have in fact done them all.  

Edited by TDIRunner

I remember when people didn't realize there was more to the Internet than the AOL content channel ecosystem, or that there were other service providers. To them, AOL was the internet. 

And the free AOL CDs? 

Those were quaint times.  

Events Team · Posted
11 hours ago, TrekMD said:

48M05D9.jpg

I still do 4 of those things with some regularity.  And I was just looking into getting a boombox for the garage until I came across a free JVC receiver and CD player that I just hooked up yesterday.  Sweet deal!

Events Team · Posted

Also opted for BMG over Columbia House.  The deal wasn't quite as good up front, 5 for 1 instead of 10 for a penny, but the you inly had to purchase a few "regular price" CDs to earn the deal.  And they regularly had killer deals after you satisfied the original terms.

46 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

I had CompuServe instead of AOL (because it was half the price), but other than that, I've done everything on the list.  

Did you ever use AME?  We had Earthlink but I still had an AOL account ID for AIM, which was what all non-technical people used to chat.  For the techie nerds, we used IIRC.  I used both.

37 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

I remember when people didn't realize there was more to the Internet than the AOL content channel ecosystem, or that there were other service providers. To them, AOL was the internet. 

And the free AOL CDs? 

Those were quaint times.  

Yeah, I remember when people did that. My Dad had AOL and would let me "borrow" it at my Mom's house before we got Earthlink.  What I quickly learned to do was log into AOL and then minimize the application and open Netscape.  Same world.

And before CDs there were the glorious days for floppies! My friends and I would see a stack anywhere by a kiosk and grab a few, every time.  AOL literally subsidized the media of our High School sneaker-net.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RH said:

Did you ever use AME?  We had Earthlink but I still had an AOL account ID for AIM, which was what all non-technical people used to chat.  For the techie nerds, we used IIRC.  I used both.

I used CompuServe's IM service which worked with everyone's AIM.  When I got to college, I was able to use their high speed DSL for the first time in my life, and I eventually signed up for an AIM account (I had almost forgotten about that AOL account).  I had AIM and MSN Messenger running in the background of every computer I owned for a period of almost 20 years.  I even remember the very last conversation I had on AIM sometime around 2008 or 2009.

6 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

This meme probably could have been its own thread.  

Not only that, the truth is, this is really true for most older Millennials.  If a "generation, is about 20 years old (though it seems to be a short time frame for "generation" metrics this day and age) about half of Millennials did all of these things too.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, a3quit4s said:

I’ve done all of them except order from Columbia House. I remember the first time using an always on internet connection (DSL) and being amazed on how you just launch internet explorer and boom internet. 

Oh, yeah, that was the shit. No waiting through the beep buzz dial tone of dial up? Pages load in a snap? Videos only take minutes to load instead of all day? Man, holodecks are right around the corner!

1 hour ago, JamesRobot said:

Also opted for BMG over Columbia House.  The deal wasn't quite as good up front, 5 for 1 instead of 10 for a penny, but the you inly had to purchase a few "regular price" CDs to earn the deal.  And they regularly had killer deals after you satisfied the original terms.

Yeah, I remember the ads for BMG, and they took potshots at Columbia House. 

35 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

This meme probably could have been its own thread.  

Easy enough for a mod to split it off. 

Hint, hint. 😛