IGNORED

2023 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Dr Mario

BeaIank

6 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

When you get good at a puzzle game then you don't use your mind much at all, it's almost all muscle memory. It seems impossible when you actually have to think about what you're doing.

With Tetris, it's like I've already placed the pieces mentally before I get them. I try to think my way through this game and that's why have trouble unless I'm playing on low speed.

11 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

With Tetris, it's like I've already placed the pieces mentally before I get them. I try to think my way through this game and that's why have trouble unless I'm playing on low speed.

I'm the same way with Tetris. I'm nowhere near that level with Dr. Mario unfortunately. I've never enjoyed it as much as Tetris.

I'm going to give away the final regular season prize pack this week. As well as set aside the 1st place prize pack. 

If it's going to glovsie and they win the championship prize too I only want to send one box across the border. 😝

just know it's going to be dope!

Edited by SuperJimtendo
  • Like 3

I hate this game but not for reasons you’d think. (I’ve told this story, so ignore it if you have heard it.)

One year for a Christmas (or possibly a birthday) my brother and I got this as a gift.  My Mom and Dad decided to give it a try and, we’ll… they fell in love with it.  In fact, my Mom’s affection for this game when beyond “love”.  She was addicted and obsessed with it.

She played it for hours and got to the point where she could max the difficulty and beat the game, no sweat.  It was insane.

However, if having a Mom who could absolutely school anyone (including my brother and I) at a video game wasn’t bad enough, one day she “woke up” and saw how addicted she was and how addictive games could be.  From that point on, my Mom vowed to never buy another video game system, and she didn’t. She wasn’t Miss Super “I hate all video games” because we continued to get games for the NES and Game Boy at future Christmases and birthdays, but it’s because of her obsession I never got a Super Nintendo.

Thanks, Mom! I could never hate you, so I just have to hate this game instead! It ruined my 16-bit gaming era for being so addictive! Lol.

(Also, Mom hasn’t touched this game since the first year it came out.  Still, I wonder what score my historic Mom would have gotten in this competition.  She was (and is!) a legend.)

Edited by RH
  • Like 2

I've honestly considered taking my NES down to my Mom's house the next time I visit, with Dr. Mario, just to see if she can get her edge back.  Now that all of her kids are at least in their late 30s, she might be inclined to try it again.

Hm...  I have two NESes still, so maybe I can give my Mom the one with a BLW and just put Dr. Mario in it.  I'll come back in a few months, and when she's beating the thing blindfolded, I'll work on getting her on YouTube.   There was/is "Skyrim Grandma", so why not "Mama Dr. Mario"?

On 9/24/2023 at 11:44 AM, BeaIank said:

After we finish this season, I will put all my excel file results into a database so I can consolidate data about our players performance through my tenure as the organizer of the VGS NES Weekly Contest, alongside with @guillavoie

It will be fun to remember champions of the recent past and elevate our current champions with their mighty results!

Oh yes! Will the NA Contest be added as well?