Reed Rothchild

Edgar Wright  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Which movies have you seen?

• A Fistful of Fingers (1995)
    • Shaun of the Dead (2004)
    • Hot Fuzz (2007)
    • Scott Pilgrim vs the World (2010)
    • The Adventures of Tintin (writer)(2011)
    • The World's End (2013)
    • Ant-Man (writer)(2015)
    • Baby Driver (2017)
    • The Sparks Brothers (2021)
    • Last Night in Soho (2021)
  2. 2. Which movie is your favorite?

• A Fistful of Fingers (1995)
    • Shaun of the Dead (2004)
    • Hot Fuzz (2007)
    • Scott Pilgrim vs the World (2010)
    • The Adventures of Tintin (writer)(2011)
    • The World's End (2013)
    • Ant-Man (writer)(2015)
    • Baby Driver (2017)
    • The Sparks Brothers (2021)
    • Last Night in Soho (2021)

Editorials Team · Posted
1 hour ago, Gloves said:

Who?

I've seen two of these and Shaun of the Dead was better than Scott Pilgrim so that's my vote.

1 hour ago, RH said:

I guess I have vote Ant-Man coz all I’ve seen is Ant-Man. 😕

27 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I only saw Hot Fuzz and I didn't really care for it.

I'm gonna start calling you three the triplets

• Haha 3

Funny this should come up right after I mentioned him in the last thread. Not the sort of director I'd expected for one of these. 

Will you believe I've never seen Shaun of the Dead? I've come across most of his other movies elsewhere, usually on streaming service - but Shaun never shows up anywhere..

Ant-Man is a little unfair here, because he left that project *because* they wouldn't let him make an Edgar Wright movie, which is a real waste! I doubt much of his fingerprint is left on that film outside of larger story beats

Anyway, Hot Fuzz. 

I've seen Shaun of the Dead and Scott Pilgrim. Went with Scott Pilgrim.

Before today I had no idea who directed these movies and that it was the same guy. I did know that Hot Fuzz was also by the director of Shaun of the Dead but I never paid attention to the name.

I voted Shaun, though I've liked some of the others (Hot Fuzz, Baby Driver.)

I hated the adaptation of Scott Pilgrim. I know it was a GoT situation where the last issue of the graphic novel wasn't published when the movie was in production, but the film's ending is piss poor in comparison, especially how Ramona was handled. I also didn't like Michael Cera as Scott. I don't have anything against Cera, he was just all wrong for the character.

Editorials Team · Posted
12 hours ago, Sumez said:

Funny this should come up right after I mentioned him in the last thread. Not the sort of director I'd expected for one of these. 

Will you believe I've never seen Shaun of the Dead? I've come across most of his other movies elsewhere, usually on streaming service - but Shaun never shows up anywhere..

Ant-Man is a little unfair here, because he left that project *because* they wouldn't let him make an Edgar Wright movie, which is a real waste! I doubt much of his fingerprint is left on that film outside of larger story beats

Anyway, Hot Fuzz. 

I have limited options.

If/when I do Villeneuve, it's gonna be 10 people who've seen Dune. PTA and Del Toro will be even worse.

• Like 1

Shaun of the Dead was great fun so got my vote. I also enjoyed Tintin more than I expected and that would have been a runner-up.  I'm surprised how many of these I've seen, as it took me a minute to remember who Edgar Wright was.  I always think of the Shaun/Hot Fuzz/World's End trio as Simon Pegg movies.

1 hour ago, Reed Rothchild said:

I have limited options.

If/when I do Villeneuve, it's gonna be 10 people who've seen Dune. PTA and Del Toro will be even worse.

Just wait until 2025.  I fully intend to see Dune once Dune 2 is also released to streaming and I can bootleg watch both.

Editorials Team · Posted
15 minutes ago, Sumez said:

Did anyone like The World's End? I had pretty high hopes for that movie, and it just wasn't entertaining to me at all.

Yes, love it.  Great riff on a certain franchise and fun subversion of Pegg and Frost.

But I'm less... critical in general than some most people

Hell, I've given a relatively positive score to basically all 140 movie debates 😂

7 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

I have limited options.

I wouldn't mind seeing David Lynch, Scorcese, Kubrick, Tim Burton, Joe Dante, Wes Anderson, James Cameron, maybe Hitchcock. Maybe Roger Corman? (not sure if that would get enough action. And it would have to be a Greatest Hits or Best Of list, with his quantity). Spielberg would be good. I'm sure you've thought of at least some of these. 

You could also do actors (I'm thinking Brad Pitt, Julia Roberts, Johnny Depp, Winona Ryder, Harrison Ford, the straight-up action stars like Schwarzenegger and Willis)

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Link said:

I wouldn't mind seeing David Lynch, Scorcese, Kubrick, Tim Burton, Joe Dante, Wes Anderson, James Cameron, maybe Hitchcock. Maybe Roger Corman? (not sure if that would get enough action. And it would have to be a Greatest Hits or Best Of list, with his quantity). Spielberg would be good. I'm sure you've thought of at least some of these. 

You could also do actors (I'm thinking Brad Pitt, Julia Roberts, Johnny Depp, Winona Ryder, Harrison Ford, the straight-up action stars like Schwarzenegger and Willis)

I don’t think Lynch will do well here, Reed did Mulholland Drive and I think Blue Velvet and neither got many votes. The rest should get decent responses I think.

Good idea with the actors, although the list might get a bit crazy for some. Maybe break it into decades?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

I'm limited to 30 poll choices, I'll just say that

For good reason. More would be ridiculous for a community this size. Like with Corman, I'd say pick a top 10.  Highest grossing or highest rated to make it simple; that's where most of the discussion or votes would land anyway. Silly to see so many lines with one or no vote. And people would be free to bring up their personal weird favorites or underrateds.