Reed Rothchild

Edgar Wright  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Which movies have you seen?

• A Fistful of Fingers (1995)
    • Shaun of the Dead (2004)
    • Hot Fuzz (2007)
    • Scott Pilgrim vs the World (2010)
    • The Adventures of Tintin (writer)(2011)
    • The World's End (2013)
    • Ant-Man (writer)(2015)
    • Baby Driver (2017)
    • The Sparks Brothers (2021)
    • Last Night in Soho (2021)
  2. 2. Which movie is your favorite?

• A Fistful of Fingers (1995)
    • Shaun of the Dead (2004)
    • Hot Fuzz (2007)
    • Scott Pilgrim vs the World (2010)
    • The Adventures of Tintin (writer)(2011)
    • The World's End (2013)
    • Ant-Man (writer)(2015)
    • Baby Driver (2017)
    • The Sparks Brothers (2021)
    • Last Night in Soho (2021)

13 minutes ago, Brickman said:

Maybe break it into decades?

That's good too. You could do Spielberg 80s and/or Spielberg 90s, or both in one. Either way, very few people are gonna be talking about Bridge of Spies, or voting for Crystal Skull over the other Indy movies. So why would you give them a slot in the poll? (or a pole in the slot 😅)

I'll throw in one more actor, Keanu Reeves - I know where my vote would be and it's a controversial choice 😁

The other special debate idea I had was movies made from books by certain authors. Philip K Dick, Stephen King, Roald Dahl...

Editorials Team · Posted
13 minutes ago, Link said:

For good reason. More would be ridiculous for a community this size. Like with Corman, I'd say pick a top 10.  Highest grossing or highest rated to make it simple; that's where most of the discussion or votes would land anyway. Silly to see so many lines with one or no vote. And people would be free to bring up their personal weird favorites or underrateds.

If we're talking Corman-directed stuff, you'd see a whole lot of "I've never seen any of these" from this crowd.

If we're talking Corman-produced stuff, you'd see a whole lot of "I've never seen any of these", and then 4 guys who say "I've never seen any of these except for Piranha."

And a Joe Dante debate would cover that anyway.

I love Rock n Roll High School and Death Race 2000 as much as the next movie nerd, but a Corman thread would bomb.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Yeah, there's a reason I threw a "maybe?" on Corman. You're right.

I meant that more in a way of a top 10 concept in general; and how, as with him, I would set a similar parameter on any person whose full resume includes anywhere close to 30 entries, like debate-worthy actors. 

10 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

If we're talking Corman-directed stuff, you'd see a whole lot of "I've never seen any of these" from this crowd.

I may have mentioned it to you before but this is a pretty good book:

https://www.amazon.com/Brilliance-incredible-Hollywoods-Greatest-Maverick/dp/B000JD3GKO/ref=sr_1_2?crid=QZG0AX4OA8NG&keywords=brilliance+on+a+budget'&qid=1694488769&sprefix=brilliance+on+a+budget'%2Caps%2C697&sr=8-2

(The Undead has always been one of my guilty pleasures. Where else would you get Allison Hayes, Billy Barty and Mel Welles in the same movie?)

4 hours ago, Link said:

I wouldn't mind seeing David Lynch, Scorcese, Kubrick, Tim Burton, Joe Dante, Wes Anderson, James Cameron, maybe Hitchcock. Maybe Roger Corman? (not sure if that would get enough action. And it would have to be a Greatest Hits or Best Of list, with his quantity). Spielberg would be good. I'm sure you've thought of at least some of these. 

I agree, those are all great instructors to do. Everyone is gonna have opinions on Scorsese, Kubrick, Spielberg, Burton, Wes Anderson and James Cameron movies at least. I can't believe I forgot about Cameron.

Hitchcock might be "too old" to get much of a reaction, but personally I'd be interested in reading people's take. Similar for Kurosawa.

• Like 1