IGNORED

Special Movie Debate: Christopher Nolan

Reed Rothchild

Christopher Nolan  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Which of his movies have you seen?

• Following (1998)
    • Memento (2000)
    • Insomnia (2002)
    • Batman Begins (2005)
    • The Prestige (2006)
    • The Dark Knight (2008)
    • Inception (2010)
    • The Dark Knight Rises (2012)
    • Interstellar (2014)
    • Dunkirk (2017)
    • Tenet (2020)
    • Oppenheimer (2023)
  2. 2. What's his best movie?

• Following (1998)
    • Memento (2000)
    • Insomnia (2002)
    • Batman Begins (2005)
    • The Prestige (2006)
    • The Dark Knight (2008)
    • Inception (2010)
    • The Dark Knight Rises (2012)
    • Interstellar (2014)
    • Dunkirk (2017)
    • Tenet (2020)
    • Oppenheimer (2023)

His best movie is Memento, hands down. Dark Knight was great but because of Heath Ledger just absolutely killing it as Joker. Otherwise it was just another super hero movie, at least to me. I’ve yet to see Oppenheimer, but I’ve heard it’s very good. Inception was also great, but the amount they spent on casting should have made that a certainty. Still have no idea what’s going on in Tenet lmao

edit: Prestige is definitely a close second to Memento

Edited by a3quit4s

There was a period where he was easily my favorite active director, but I haven't enjoyed his recent output as much as his early stuff. I haven't seen Dark Knight Rises, Dunkirk, or Oppenheimer yet. Interstellar was one of my most anticipated movies of all-time and it fell completely flat for me due to the terrible dialogue and silly, melodramatic story. Tenet somehow managed to be even worse and I'm still flabbergasted it got greenlit. I still plan to see Oppenheimer in IMAX, so I'm hoping that will be a comeback story for him.

Top 3:

1. Inception
  2. Dark Knight
  3. Memento

Bottom 3:

1. Tenet
  2. Interstellar
  3. Following

3 hours ago, Brickman said:

I didn't know of Following so I'll have to check that one out but I have seen the rest and loved them all for different reasons, except Tenet fell flat for me personally. Inception is still my favourite of his but I think Oppenheimer definitely cracks top 3 for me now. 

Following is pretty good for a low-budget, first film, but not something I'd go back to watch again. You'll definitely see his signature style all over it. I'm looking forward to seeing Oppenheimer soon.

• Like 1

Events Team · Posted

Really want to see Oppenheimer just haven't had time.  In general, I think Nolan is pretty overrated.  Prestige is his best, memento is pretty good.  Inception is decent but pretentious.  Interstellar was a pretty big disappointment if I'm being honest despite the crazy special effects.

And the Batmen.  🙄 

7 hours ago, Richardhead said:

hot take here… ledger isn’t the best joker.

💯 He's doesn't even make the top 3.  And Christian Bale may well be the worst cinematic Batman hands down with his stupid fucking voice.  Michael Caine is a badass Alfred though.

I tried to watch the Nolan trilogy again this past year and didn't make it.  Begins is alright.  Then I made it about halfway through Dark Knight and decided Rises wasn't worth it.  Matter of fact, I found Batman & Robin more enjoyable and that movie is terrible save for the Mr. Freeze one-liners. 

• Agree 1

Memento is still my favourite movie of his. It's nice and simple, constricted to just a laser focused story. The gimmick is gimmicky, but hell it works.

His later movies feel like they have grown way out of proportion, and he's trying to do way too much, with that added sense of pretentiousness people have come to expect from him as well, which I don't really feel fits the type of generic Hollywood bangers that he tends to make.

I really appreciate his craft though, and it makes me happy that there are still directors willing to make such massive visual effect driven films without relying on computer graphics. You can't always tell the difference, but you can often tell when there's too much computer effects.

I just had this conversation over the weekend while I discussing Oppenheimer. 

I haven't seen all of his movies (yet), but I haven't watched one that I didn't enjoy considerably.  I definitely plan to catch Oppenheimer while it's in theaters and I plan to eventually catch up on the others that I haven't seen yet.

The Prestige is my favorite out of his works.  To this day, it's the only movie I've ever watched for the first time and immediately afterwards wanted to start it over and watch it again.  

Edited by TDIRunner

Moderator · Posted

My list from what I’ve seen, 4-8 could pretty much be rearranged in any order. 

1. Memento 

2. The Prestige

3. Batman Begins

4. Dark Knight

5. Interstellar

6. Insomnia

7. Inception

8. Dunkirk

9. Following

10. Dark Knight Rise

NR Tenet and Oppenheimer 

Events Team · Posted

Watched Oppenheimer earlier tonight, wanted to wait until then before voting in this poll. I haven't seen all of his work, but I most definitely plan to.

Oppenheimer dethroned Inception as my personal favorite movie I've ever seen. Every single aspect of it was perfectly right up my alley in terms of what I like in films and shows.

So yeah, pretty big fan of Nolan I'd say, haha.

Events Team · Posted
1 minute ago, ZeldaFreak said:

Watched Oppenheimer earlier tonight, wanted to wait until then before voting in this poll. I haven't seen all of his work, but I most definitely plan to.

Oppenheimer dethroned Inception as my personal favorite movie I've ever seen. Every single aspect of it was perfectly right up my alley in terms of what I like in films and shows.

So yeah, pretty big fan of Nolan I'd say, haha.

I'll also add that I haven't disliked a single movie of his I've seen, for me they've all ranged from excellent to one of the best movies I've ever seen, which is why he's for sure my favorite director currently working. Even Tenet I really loved, and was confused about why so many people disliked it afterwards. I was honestly expecting it to be way worse going in to it given the general consensus around that film.

There are surprisingly few directors working with really big scale Hollywood blockbusters with this amount of integrity.

We got Tarantino and and Scorsese of course. But the former is about to retire, and the latter, we'll there's no way he can go on forever 🤣

With that in mind, I'm truly thankful we have Denis Villeneuve now, there is not a single of his movies I haven't truly enjoyed, from his smaller near-indie stuff to his super big scale stuff, he works in many different style of stories but you can always tell his craftsmanship and passion, and I've yet to be fed up with his style the way I do with Nolan. When is his movie debate special coming? 😲