IGNORED

Movie Debate #130: Dick Tracy

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences, NOT HISTORICAL SIGNIFICANCE

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite movies of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer f'ing movie. Everyone should watch it.
    • 8/10 - Great movie. Easy to recommend.
    • 7/10 - Very good movie, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy the occasional watch, or tune in if you happen to catch it on cable.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to watch.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not very good.
    • 2/10 - Pretty crappy.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Citizen Kane of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your retinas than watch this.
    • You haven't seen the movie, but you're interested in watching it.
    • You have no interest in watching it.

It was really refreshing to see a belated  take on a venerable series whilst still retaining Dick Tracy's vintage flavor from the series of movies/serials  (which ended in 1947 and included 4 serials).  There was a two season tv series in 1950/51 - but those were episodes edited from the movies/serials. There was also a short run radio series.  (One episode was notable because the broadcast was interrupted by a report of Hitler's death - which had him dying because of a stroke rather than by suicide.)

While the movies and tv series were a bit before my time I did see them often on late night/weekend tv while growing up.

There was also a long running comic strip - but Dick Tracy was really better suited to the screen.  (One famous incident with the comic strip was when New York Mayor LaGuardia read the comic strip over the radio duing a 1945 newpaper deliverers' strike.

It was great to see so many of Dick Tracy's classic foes worked into the Beatty effort - my favorite was "Mumbles".

A solid 8 - if you had a sense of nostalgia the movie was great.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Tabonga said:

There was also a long running comic strip

This is where the Dick Tracy character originated.

The Shadow is a somewhat similar character (not superpowered, uses guns) that did start in radio first and was then adapted to pulpy print stuff.

It is a visual treat, and like a precursor to Sin City.  Everything in the production design was color matched to the old newsprint colors.  You have so many A list actors, in crazy makeup, really having fun and hamming it up.  Also peak era Madonna acting and on the soundtrack. Vogue!

Really the weakest part Beatty himself, who really seems pretty bland and lifeless as a hero in this over the top colorful world.  The kid is pretty bad too.  Oh and there isn't really a plot, things happen, but it is all kinda random.  It's a mess of a film, but at least an interesting mess.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

I haven't seen it since a kid.  I can't recall much of anything about it and what I do remember boils down to "stills" in my brain.

I may have to watch it again just to vote properly. I'm not sure that will happen so I'm probably not going to vote on this.

On a side note, I recall that when every game system company a few years ago was making a mini-system with 20 or so games on it, someone jokingly made a "Mini VCR" ad, preloaded with 20 VHS tapes "everyone owned'.  I can't recall if this was one of them but it should have been.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, RH said:

On a side note, I recall that when every game system company a few years ago was making a mini-system with 20 or so games on it, someone jokingly made a "Mini VCR" ad, preloaded with 20 VHS tapes "everyone owned'.  I can't recall if this was one of them but it should have been.

Yeah, this is one of those movies that got absolutely huge promotion at the video rental stores around me back in the day.  Good times...

Events Team · Posted

I'd watch it again if it came up but haven't seen it since it was in theaters.  I remember Dick being pretty big for a couple of months... 😏

It was supposedly the next big comic movie after Batman hit in 89.  It was not.  I'd argue that the next big comic movie was Blade.  Didn't really care for any of the other 90s Batmen.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, JamesRobot said:

I'd watch it again if it came up but haven't seen it since it was in theaters.  I remember Dick being pretty big for a couple of months... 😏

It was supposedly the next big comic movie after Batman hit in 89.  It was not.  I'd argue that the next big comic movie was Blade.  Didn't really care for any of the other 90s Batmen.

Not even nipple Batman?

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, JamesRobot said:

The Crow, Men in Black, and Ninja Turtles were pretty big comic book movies in the 90s 🫨

Edited by fox
  • Agree 1