IGNORED

Mario RPG 2023

phart010

Administrator · Posted

Interesting. Naturally I love the original, and is advance of this releasing I'll say that I prefer the original style/aesthetic to this one. That said I've obviously not played this version and do plan to, so I'll reserve actual judgement for later. 

I wonder if this will have extra content. 

It was speculated by "trustworthy sources" that an HD upgrade to Chrono Trigger is in the works, and further speculated that it would be revealed in this last Direct.

Lol, I wonder (but doubt) if Square Enix was involved with this one.  I guess this is the closest we'll get to Chrono.

And I know it's June but with every Direct that comes out, I'm more and more shocked that Nintendo isn't revealing their next console.

I get it.  We keep buying their games but at some point they will drift away from the island of relevancy, and if they don't release their next steps/plans, it will be too late between the announcement and the release of the hardware.  I have no clue what it will be, but the Switch is getting to be oooooold in game years.  

34 minutes ago, Gloves said:

Interesting. Naturally I love the original, and is advance of this releasing I'll say that I prefer the original style/aesthetic to this one. That said I've obviously not played this version and do plan to, so I'll reserve actual judgement for later. 

I wonder if this will have extra content. 

I'm also a big fan of the original art design and I initially thought this remake looked a little too "smooth and plastic-y" but stepping back and viewing the whole of the trailer, I think there's a lot to look forward to. Seeing certain environments and character models rendered in high-poly 3D will be pretty spectacular, I think. Plus, it looks like we'll be getting a slew of new transitions and "cutscenes" for different dramatic moments in the game and that sounds pretty cool.

• Agree 2

Administrator · Posted
3 minutes ago, Webhead123 said:

I'm also a big fan of the original art design and I initially thought this remake looked a little too "smooth and plastic-y" but stepping back and viewing the whole of the trailer, I think there's a lot to look forward to. Seeing certain environments and character models rendered in high-poly 3D will be pretty spectacular, I think. Plus, it looks like we'll be getting a slew of new transitions and "cutscenes" for different dramatic moments in the game and that sounds pretty cool.

Yeah I totally have high hopes that it's good. If nothing else, the cutscenes should be dope. I remember loving when they added cutscenes to the NES/Famicom Final Fantasy games when they released on PS1

Ok hear me out, instead of remastering the current game and added 1% new content….how about we create a sequel that has all new content?

This remastered Nintendo shit is kind of getting played out for me. Probably in the minority on that but I’ve said it. 

The physical version should also not cost more than $29.99

Edited by a3quit4s

53 minutes ago, a3quit4s said:

Ok hear me out, instead of remastering the current game and added 1% new content….how about we create a sequel that has all new content?

This remastered Nintendo shit is kind of getting played out for me. Probably in the minority on that but I’ve said it. 

The physical version should also not cost more than $29.99

They already made a sequel. It's called Paper Mario.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 2

Super Mario RPG remaster -- stunning. I hope to all things they do the C&C and Starcraft remaster approach on this -- DO NOT TOUCH. Touch up the visuals, audio, little flourishes, but leave the core game play, area designs, enemies and boss combat, all of it alone. Less is more don't get cute because if it's not broke, don't fix it.

Better yet, maybe Square-Enix and Nintendo are fuzzy enough after all these decades that if this does well Super Mario RPG2 will finally be made, because paper mario is definitely not it.

Edited by Tanooki

46 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

They already made a sequel. It's called Paper Mario.

Well we know what the next remaster will be lol

To be clear I’m not saying this or others are not great games, just tired of Nintendo repackaging old junk to sell. It clearly sells though so like I said I’m in the minority. 

Edited by a3quit4s

Paper Mario was great and I feel like it is reasonable to consider it a sequel.  I get that subsequent entries in the Paper Mario all had the samey-ness as one another with only little touches making them different, which made Super Mario RPG the one that sticks out since it's a 2D isometric title that's not "paper" looking.

But if you look at just SM:RPG vs. PM, you see that just as SM:RPG was unique in it's pseudo-3D, isometric nature on the SNES, the N64 title kind of reversed that with full 3D areas, but with obviously flat 2D sprites.  Much of the game mechanics are similar too.  The definitely seem like companion games.

I could be taking it too far I'd say Paper Mario is SM:RPG 2 and, gasp, SM:RPG 3 is the Mario & Luigi series, however those last two sorted branched and created their own series in a way.  I could easily be wrong, but I just don't see Nintendo branching from their three flavors of Mario themed RPG games to make a fourth style.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RH said:

Paper Mario was great and I feel like it is reasonable to consider it a sequel.  I get that subsequent entries in the Paper Mario all had the samey-ness as one another with only little touches making them different, which made Super Mario RPG the one that sticks out since it's a 2D isometric title that's not "paper" looking.

But if you look at just SM:RPG vs. PM, you see that just as SM:RPG was unique in it's pseudo-3D, isometric nature on the SNES, the N64 title kind of reversed that with full 3D areas, but with obviously flat 2D sprites.  Much of the game mechanics are similar too.  The definitely seem like companion games.

I could be taking it too far I'd say Paper Mario is SM:RPG 2 and, gasp, SM:RPG 3 is the Mario & Luigi series, however those last two sorted branched and created their own series in a way.  I could easily be wrong, but I just don't see Nintendo branching from their three flavors of Mario themed RPG games to make a fourth style.

It was the sequel. Nintendo started developing it before Squaresoft pulled out of the project so Nintendo made some changes and renamed it in order to save the project.

There was also that false wall you could walk be hind and then pass into another viewable room.  On the other side it showed the SMB sprite of Mario.

I wonder if they will implement something like that.  Probably the 2D sprite of Mario from the original game.

• Like 1

It's about time.

I'm glad my favorite SNES game is finally coming back and as a remake. Now more people can play this game and see how awesome it is. Looking forward to seeing what new features and improvements are included.

image.jpeg.4f6b9aa94f5104c63947b54a4373f2d1.jpeg

image.jpeg.f6f78793f98f6c46cf2dfedfcaff9b81.jpeg

Oh, and Geno makes a cameo in the original GBA version of Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga. Better keep it if you have it.

Edited by MegaMan52

4 hours ago, RH said:

And I know it's June but with every Direct that comes out, I'm more and more shocked that Nintendo isn't revealing their next console.

I get it.  We keep buying their games but at some point they will drift away from the island of relevancy, and if they don't release their next steps/plans, it will be too late between the announcement and the release of the hardware.  I have no clue what it will be, but the Switch is getting to be oooooold in game years.  

The day they announce new console, Switch console sales will drop off a cliff. So they are gonna keep milking the cow until it’s dry 

2 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Better yet, maybe Square-Enix and Nintendo are fuzzy enough after all these decades that if this does well Super Mario RPG2 will finally be made, because paper mario is definitely not it.

I hate to break this to you, but as you may already know, Nintendo America doesn’t develop, they just localize and do marketing. The games are made in Japan and in Japan there is indeed a game called Super Mario RPG2 that was renamed Paper Mario in America. Japan calls the shots.

Another clue is that Mario and Peach character designs in this remake are in the “cutesy form” which is basically a 3D form of the 2D Paper Mario character designs… so one can assume that they chose the character design choice for this remake with Paper Mario in mind

Editorials Team · Posted
17 minutes ago, phart010 said:

The day they announce new console, Switch console sales will drop off a cliff. So they are gonna keep milking the cow until it’s dry 

Yeah, they'll announce in January I bet.  Ride Tears, Pokemon, and Mario Wonder through the Holidays.

This is also gonna fuel the "Metroid Prime 4 as a Switch 2 launch title" chatter

44 minutes ago, Brickman said:

Looks cool but I’m over remakes. The Switch has become like the Disney of video games. Uninspired and constant remakes.

Indies seem to be where a lot of the creativity is happening these days.

Remakes in general, whether it be movies or video games.  I have zero interest in this, but as an outsider looking in this just says we have nothing more original to do, so let’s milk the people’s nostalgia for all it’s worth.

Why not just make a sequel?  Just feed some bullshit to chatgpt and it’ll come up with story line.  Ask it how to take the original gameplay and make it more 2023-like.  Chatgpt is doing 50% of the work for ya.  It can’t be that hard, can it?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, phart010 said:

I hate to break this to you, but as you may already know, Nintendo America doesn’t develop, they just localize and do marketing. The games are made in Japan and in Japan there is indeed a game called Super Mario RPG2 that was renamed Paper Mario in America. Japan calls the shots.

Another clue is that Mario and Peach character designs in this remake are in the “cutesy form” which is basically a 3D form of the 2D Paper Mario character designs… so one can assume that they chose the character design choice for this remake with Paper Mario in mind

Not exactly sure why you're going in weird circles like that, but I've always known NOA was a puppet office to the Japanese area, outside of a select few titles.  Paper Mario is a shit game, if they called it Super Mario RPG2 there that's fine, but it's a garbage fire given they ruined the RPG mechanics to basically turn it into rhythm heaven mario rpg.  The most honest spinoff of the series were the really nice earlier entries of Mario & Luigi.  What I said stands, I want to see Super Mario RPG 2, as in yet again co-developed with Square(Enix) and Nintendo...same formula, new adventure, some tweaks here and there, much like how Final Fantasy from 4 - 6 evolved on SNES too.

And no those cutesy forms are hardly Paper Mario, go look at the CGI renders of the SNES title, they're 3D models based on that more than the Paper series.  Squatty, cute, rounded then and now.