IGNORED

Bought a house, have game room

Gloves

Administrator · Posted

So as you may have read here and there lately, my wife and I bought a house in Nova Scotia. It's been a long journey moving multiple provinces away from Ontario (I've never even left Ontario prior to this move), but we finally have our stuff in the house (took 2 weeks to get here...) and we're starting to settle in at last. 

Figured I'd make a thread to share updates, especially on the game room. Happy to talk about other aspects of the new place too of course, but primary focus will be showing off the game room as it comes together, and eventually evolves as we add more shelves, maybe some posters and displays, which we didn't really have any space for in the old apartment. 

Here's a quick progress pic from tonight:

IMG_20230609_005051.jpg

• Like 16
  • Wow! 2
  • Love 7

Administrator · Posted

Technically we have two gamerooms. The one I showed in the OP, and this one upstairs. 

IMG_20230609_112637.jpg

Downstairs is console games and movies, upstairs (this one) is pc and board games. Gonna have another desk off to the left side for a retro pc space, I already have the computer, just need the rest of the hardware (monitor, keyboard, mouse). 

Also that's the other fireplace there on the right. 😄

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
56 minutes ago, RH said:

Ontario to Nov Scotia, huh?  That's quite a long haul!  What's the weather like, comparatively?

And congrats on the home purchase! 

The weather is much much much better by my measure. Less hot in the summer, less cold in the winter. I wore a sweater yesterday, it's frickin June! And the air quality overall, not gonna lie I used to have bad dandruff and I was itchy a lot; I'm sure it was in part due to hard water, but the fresh and less dry air has to be helping too, I literally haven't been itchy once since we got here. 

55 minutes ago, drxandy said:

Heck ya dood, congrats again on the new place!! Stoked to see how ya set it up! For real though, are you gonna do the Arcade/movie theater flooring?

We do plan to put an arcade style area rug in the console game room! 

31 minutes ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

Idk if I'm more impressed with two game rooms or the ability to buy a house in Canada in 2023. Either way, congratulations! Can't wait to see it come together 

It's all the VGS money rolling in every month! (I kid) 

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted

Many congratulations Gloves!  It's hard work but an exciting new chapter I'm sure!  I know it takes a while to get settled in, but hopefully it is all worth it.

Definitely would love to see the progress on the game room as things move along.  Thanks for sharing!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Gloves said:

Yep, we have two! 

As someone who is also part of the fireplace club, I definitely recommend converting and putting in a slow combustion wood heater. Best decision we ever made.

They are way more efficient than an open fireplace and push out a lot of heat throughout the room.

As great as the open fire looks it only really pushes the heat in a small area in front of the fireplace plus if you have one bad piece of wood smoke goes everywhere.

Get chopping now and split the wood and let it try for about a year. Nothing beats a fireplace in winter 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Administrator · Posted
45 minutes ago, Brickman said:

As someone who is also part of the fireplace club, I definitely recommend converting and putting in a slow combustion wood heater. Best decision we ever made.

They are way more efficient than an open fireplace and push out a lot of heat throughout the room.

As great as the open fire looks it only really pushes the heat in a small area in front of the fireplace plus if you have one bad piece of wood smoke goes everywhere.

Get chopping now and split the wood and let it try for about a year. Nothing beats a fireplace in winter 🙂 

Any sense of the cost of doing so? We have a bunch of nice to have upgrades we wanna save up for like solar panels so could add this to that list. 

7 minutes ago, Gloves said:

Any sense of the cost of doing so? We have a bunch of nice to have upgrades we wanna save up for like solar panels so could add this to that list. 

We got a heatilator which is made in the US and it was about $3000aud for the install and unit. I reckon it would be a bit cheaper for you guys being in Canada you probably have a huge range of options that are cheaper than here. 

My advice would probably be to do a year of using the open fireplace to get a sense if using a fireplace is for you. Some people end up not liking the process and work involved and just end up covering them up.

I personally love the feel and smell of a fire but can’t deny they’re a lot of work. When I’m chopping wood I normally just chuck on a podcast and it goes much faster and it’s also exercise 😆

I’d also recommend getting a chimney sweeper to clean and inspect your chimney before you use it unless you’re 100% certain it was cleaned recently.

Administrator · Posted
19 minutes ago, Brickman said:

We got a heatilator which is made in the US and it was about $3000aud for the install and unit. I reckon it would be a bit cheaper for you guys being in Canada you probably have a huge range of options that are cheaper than here. 

My advice would probably be to do a year of using the open fireplace to get a sense if using a fireplace is for you. Some people end up not liking the process and work involved and just end up covering them up.

I personally love the feel and smell of a fire but can’t deny they’re a lot of work. When I’m chopping wood I normally just chuck on a podcast and it goes much faster and it’s also exercise 😆

I’d also recommend getting a chimney sweeper to clean and inspect your chimney before you use it unless you’re 100% certain it was cleaned recently.

Yeah we're gonna have a certified person come by once a year, got that scheduled. Thanks for the details and suggestions! 

• Like 2