IGNORED

Old handwritten game notes/codes - have any?

zeldaboy

I do think this stuff is cool and I've seen a lot of of it as I've been buying hundreds of CIB NES games over the last year, but I usually just toss it. I'm a collector, not a hoarder so I hate having extra stuff I'll never look at or use.

That being said, I'll make sure to get a pic and post it here before disposing in the future. Good idea for a thread.

• Sad 2

These aren't handwritten so I don't know if it counts, but still thought this was cool. When I was going through some of my old Star Wars toys at my parents' house earlier this year I came across these pass code print outs for the Rebel Assault games. I printed them out July 29, 1998 according to the date on the bottom, so it was pretty crazy to think they're over 20 years old at this point.

RA-Codes.jpg

• Like 1

this post being started by zeldaboy will seem really appropriate. i would hand draw maps for each of the Legend of Zelda games, and i still have most of them. here's some noteworthy stuff:

this map also has the dungeon maps drawn on the back. i have a similar, but less complete one, for the 2nd quest also.

lSpuBDO.jpg?1

a huge Zelda 2 overworld map. i've got dungeon maps too, but they aren't great to look at.

Pn6YG19.jpg

while digging these out, i also found a letter from the game counselors at Nintendo. enjoy!

EEvjrTT.jpg

4MAKrrV.jpg

Edited by twiztor
  • Like 8
  • Wow! 1
  • Love 1

One month way back in the days of the NES+GB+SNES on the market they put out these little books in one issue that had a green cover with some kind of Fido Dido looking head on the front in a small shape.  I may still have it around somewhere but I wrote a heap of codes in there and other notes.  I never liked, wanted to or ever bothered making maps.  I wanted to enjoy games, not write them, save that for D&D. 😛

Oh yes. I wrote down tons of combos to get good monsters in dragon warrior monsters.

Also wrote down tons of passcodes for megaman to get back to where I was if I had to turn off the game. 

I also remember having to hand draw one of the puzzles in boktai to figure it out.

I got far too many things to post here.

Maps for Air Fortress, Deadly Towers, Dr Chaos, Dragon Warrior II, Hydlide, Legacy of the Wizard, Milon's Secret Castle, Super Pitfall, W&W III and more, a lot of stuff, including a handful of PS1 game maps just because I enjoyed doing these things during that time of my life. Plus various pages of game passwords that I was working on cracking, some I did to near completion, others I never quite found everything, all done at a time before ever having a computer.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/aGfoRnSHZ9jSXHeo9

Have a lot more other notes and whatnot but haven't taken pics of or scanned because it just takes a lot of time and I just never got around to it all. Maybe one of these days, may not have the papers forever and it'd be good to have them in access on the computer our my google drive or photos. But then after hooking up the scanner and looking over all of them, ugh, nah, forget it, too much work, most has been long since typed in notepad documents anyway. Even though there was a time I relied on paper, once I didn't need it anymore, never really want to go back to it. But every once in a while I open up the box that has all my old paper stuff and think, wow, sure has been a long time.

Edited by MeganJoanne
minor edit
  • Like 1

One of my more simpler single page maps, Ironsword :

1359918260_Ironswordmap.thumb.png.963d90a71c60ff60b5884c63a7135d08.png

The Guardian Legend, old hint for raising score easily and quickly to max out experience fast (a long time ago I used to write everything in caps) :

1103175576_TGL-crabminiboss.thumb.png.ba825bc4aa6eda2cfde16c8c8e20558a.png

Another note with a small hand drawn image to go with it, this for the final boss of Vice Project Doom (not needed but something at the time I had of an idea to do with every game, but never did) :

429528566_ViceProjectDoom-finalboss.png.26cee2187358cb5af2a1b83568b9c172.png

One of my later maps I did on graph paper, Spiritual Warfare (actually got this one dated too) :

SpiritualWarfare-map.thumb.png.87d44a7b051e64002547e1ff773c81c6.png

Most of my maps are too big to put here, multiple pages and whatnot. Everything back then was done by hand, notes, little drawings, all the mapping on graph paper, it sure was a different time, now it's all notepad and paint in windows 10 which is so much easier, but somehow some of the creativity that came with drawing stuff by hand on paper has been lost.

Edited by MeganJoanne
minor update
  • Like 4

I know I have some old paperwork from PC games like Myst that are pretty funny. I also have some original GB codes from the 90s I could dig up. Below was a silly thing I did while playing Ufouria a few years back. I wanted to document the passwords during my progress. Bottom right is the final boss if anyone is interested in giving that a whirl.

1951512652_Ufouriacodes.thumb.JPG.c5bef929763ac12b2fa3a6480b387c29.JPG

• Like 1

Awesome stuff @MeganJoanne!

2 hours ago, portabello said:

I know I have some old paperwork from PC games like Myst that are pretty funny. I also have some original GB codes from the 90s I could dig up. Below was a silly thing I did while playing Ufouria a few years back. I wanted to document the passwords during my progress. Bottom right is the final boss if anyone is interested in giving that a whirl.

1951512652_Ufouriacodes.thumb.JPG.c5bef929763ac12b2fa3a6480b387c29.JPG

Were there some other popular games that used this type of colored ball/marble grid system for passwords? I have a vivid memory of this exact thing but I never played Ufouria. Maybe a Mega Man game?

Just now, DoctorEncore said:

Awesome stuff @MeganJoanne!

Were there some other popular games that used this type of colored ball/marble grid system for passwords? I have a vivid memory of this exact thing but I never played Ufouria. Maybe a Mega Man game?

Yeah, Mega Man on GameBoy used a similar grid system. I have notes somewhere from the 90s, I'll post when I find them.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...