IGNORED

Old handwritten game notes/codes - have any?

zeldaboy

9 hours ago, DoctorEncore said:

Slightly off-topic, but I found this gem this week. A fully filled, but never mailed Acclaim registration tucked inside a CIB copy of Heavy Shreddin'. I love that the dude just bought WrestleMania, but it's already his favorite game.

IMG_20191229_120326~2.jpg

Nintendo power reference! 

I got one too.

8800C49D-6FAA-4ADD-A733-40F167DC5A6A.jpeg

• Like 1

I still have a bunch of notes & maps that I made back in the day.

Here is my “Mega Man Folder” lol that I made. I traced the picture from the Mega Man 6 manual and taped it to the front of the folder. I have notes and boss weaknesses for MM1 through 7 plus X & X2, and also Mega Man Soccer notes in there.

I also have a hand drawn map of Labyrinth 9 from LoZ, and Area 4 from TMNT 1. 

6A42E585-DBEA-4584-B348-010B959484B9.jpeg

869BB2F2-7403-4B61-80B6-C616AAF2E9E8.jpeg

3E739DED-6C1E-464C-96A9-270AC54E1E49.jpeg

0B6F28FD-B1AF-47F5-8215-BBB0F575A9C8.jpeg

• Like 3

i still have mine.  as a little kid i didn't know how to write the codes down for the mega man games so i drew the whole graph with colored ink and drew the dots core responding to the ones on the screen.  it worked out.  i just didn't think to write the codes like this (b3 c1 a4 d5 c2 e1)

Edited by Nes Freak

My fave example of this that comes to mind is a box/manual for Kung Fu I got from my buddy a few years ago.  They were from his childhood copy and in the memo section of the manual is written, "Mr X's that I killed" with tally marks underneath.  I laugh about it every time I open the manual and will never get rid of that copy.  Here is a pic.

0105201708c.jpg

Edited by 8bitsupremacy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/30/2019 at 8:51 AM, Ferris Bueller said:

I have a habit of buying this kind of stuff. Somewhere I have all my maps from back in the day, too.

For the record, I'm dubbing items like this Video Game Folk Art. Take note. That'll be important later on.

If your doing a project with this stuff I might donate what I have. 

On 1/5/2020 at 7:23 PM, skinnygrinny said:

If your doing a project with this stuff I might donate what I have. 

Sweet offer! Thanks, mang.

I think we're on to something that won't really become important for another 10 years or so, but you can see it happening here with people starting to collect these items. The National Video Game Museum here in Dallas (Frisco) has their rotating exhibit that switches out. If I can get enough examples and John is open to this weird new thing I have an idea for, I'd like to try and do a display for them.

I came up with the term "Video Game Folk Art" because for the most part this stuff is being made without formal training and done with love by random people. Most of the times kids, but not always. 

I have binders that people made for themselves, sometimes focusing on just a single game. One grandma made like a dozen binders that ranges from NES to Sega to Gameboy, all with super detailed hand written notes next to cutouts from magazines, all organized with tabs for the games. Years of work, for sure.

I'd say the center piece for all of this is a Zelda map I have. It's hand drawn, colored, labeled, and is 3' wide by 1' tall. IIRC, it was done by a wife for her husband after he had something happen medically and he was playing through Zelda to regain his mobility and coordination. She made the map for him, with everything marked so he'd know what to do.

That map is like the middle part of a Venn diagram because it's both homemade "notes," but then touches on the other half of this stuff for me, which is actual art. In terms of art art, I have sculptures people made for senior year projects of high school, I have the two winning paintings for the MGC contests back in 2015 and 2016, along with whatever else I find at conventions or online, all original and one of kind pieces. 

If there is interest, I can take pictures of some of my stuff.

Edited by Ferris Bueller
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...